“Best hole-in-the-wall ever.”

Ranked #7 of 54 Restaurants in Spanish Fort
Mobile, Alabama
“Best hole-in-the-wall ever.”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I had never even heard of Cheryl's until the girl who does my hair suggested it. I don't live in Spanish Fort, I live on the other side of the bay, so I don't know where the locals go there. Wait, scratch that. Now I know where the locals go. In any case, I sure wish I had known about it sooner. What an amazing restaurant!

Urban Spoon says they're open for dinner W, Th, F but the sign didn't indicate this. It only said M-F 11a-2p, but it could be wrong I suppose. I'd call first just in case. They don't have a specific website, but they have a sign hanging in there saying, "Like us on Facebook to see our daily specials."

The place is quite tiny. I think there are only about 9 tables inside and there are 2 or 3 outside. It's cramped too. My mother, who uses a walker, had trouble getting between the tables. To look at it, it's nothing special. This is one of those hole-in-the-wall places that has amazing food! Also the place was absolutely packed. That speaks volumes.

They serve southern food, with some native Cajun too. Cajun's aren't just in Louisiana. For that matter, I wouldn't even bring up that state if I were you. ;) They have a standard menu with some amazing "specials" written on the wall, that change throughout the day. The specials appear to be mostly (not all) off-menu items. As they run out of one thing, they put up another special. I should also mention that the service is excellent.

Mother had the roast beef that was simply amazing. No restaurant can compare, and trust me, we've been to a LOT of restaurants. Cheryl's does it just like my mom's and even mom said so herself. I had the club sandwich, which my hair dresser recommended. She was right! I also had the special soup of the day. Well they had two and both sounded amazing. I had such a hard time deciding but finally went with the Crawfish Bisque.

Man oh man. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that soup is the best soup I have ever tasted. EVER. No kidding. It was so good that I bought a pint to take home. My son, who is a soup addict, ate it and said the same thing. It's spicy, creamy and just amazing. The closest thing I can come to is the Freemason's Abbey in Norfolk, VA. The She-Crab Soup there is close, but I have to hand it to Cheryl, hers is even better! No kidding. I didn't see the bisque on the menu, so keep an eye out on their Facebook page. I want that recipe, but I doubt I'll ever get it.

The squash casserole, but my mother and I got, and it was very, VERY good. It's the best I've had restaurant-wise also. Most restaurants bake it until the squash is mushy. I don't like it like that. In fact, most recipes tell you to boil the squash first. Why? If you bake it in the oven, why boil it? Evidently Cheryl thinks like I do and makes it just like my own, which always gets raves and I've gotten a number of requests for my recipe. So I'd say Cheryl gets that one right too.

Finally, the banana pudding was, again, the best I've ever had in any restaurant. It tastes just like my grandmother's whose was perfection. Like the Bisque, I ordered and extra pint of that too.

All in all, this is am amazing home cooking restaurant that for once actually uses excellent tried and true home cooking recipes. Many tout them, few actually taste like them. Though I have to add that the bisque puts the menu up quite a few notches because that's not typical fare for home cooking. They could get away with selling that recipe to a swank restaurant. They would pay for it, I just know it.

Mother and I have decided that this will be our go-to place for lunch on our mother/daughter hair days. :)

• Visited October 2011