“Simply another thrift store”

Unclaimed Baggage Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Airline unclaimed baggage ends up here, and you can buy the lost items at bargain-basement prices.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Simply another thrift store”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

My wife and I drove out from Chattanooga to finally see the store we had heard so much about. For starters,the weekend is a tough time to go. They have what is probably ample parking for a weekday crowd. However...we couldn't find a parking spot. We even tried an area which stated "more parking". Well that turned out to be a grassy area behind the store. It wouldn't have been a big deal had the entrance to it not been a big dirt pit. I ended up bottoming out, and hitting and damaging my exhaust system. Obviously I'm not overly happy about that,but I'll be honest with my overall opinion of the store.There are bargains to be had on clothes,cds,etc. You will find some items with original tags that are priced higher than that tag. As for electronics or other high end items...don't expect very good deals. These things are quite pricey considering that they are used. They were comparable to new prices. I'd rather spend the extra money on something new with a warranty. More then likely the electronics worked correctly before they were lost, and I'm sure are tested before they are sold,but remember,nobody knows what the bags or the electronics inside those bags have been through. That crossed my mind when I looked at the luggage. Every piece they had today was damaged. We laughed at the prices of the luggage we saw that had missing wheels,etc. I think that the mysterious words Unclaimed Baggage make people think that they will find some unusual treasure or get rock bottom prices on these items. If you go expecting this,you will likely leave there disappointed. I would strongly advise against traveling from any distance to visit the store. In the end it is simply a store full of your basic used items.....it is simply a thrift store. There is nothing wrong with thrift stores,but we all have some which are much closer to home.

3 Thank T_Vol_10
UnclaimedBaggageCtr, Guest Relations Manager at Unclaimed Baggage Center, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
You happened to visit us on what was probably deemed the busiest weekend of the past decade. We were celebrating our grand re-opening and 40th anniversary celebration, so yes we were incredibly busy and parking was scarce throughout the weekend. I hate to hear about your car, and we will certainly check into the conditions of the outlying lots that we lease for additional parking and see if something can’t be done about the ground. As for the contents of the store, in particular the electronics, there are some deals that are better than others. Ipods, laptops, Bose headphones, chargers, DVD players and many cameras are certainly great buys and are %s off based off suggested retail. As for what you were looking at, it appears you have found a source for a better package than what we were offering. As for the treasures people find, we actually talked with over 60 customers who were from all over the southeast who shared their stories with us about the treasures they had found. And all of that talking was just in a few short hours. From the exquisite to the everyday to the “tug at your heartstrings” stories, all from items they had bought at Unclaimed Baggage. A treasure doesn’t have to be a 40 carat emerald (which we have had in the past), but rather an item that has importance to the buyer. That’s where we get our “mysterious words”-from the customers. As for the thrift store idea, we really are very different. Thrift stores are full of items people didn’t want. Our store is full of items that people DID want, otherwise they would not have packed them. I’m sorry your trip didn’t meet all that you hoped it would but, but thank you for your honest feedback. ~B. Cantrell

Nomad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing shoes AND customer service”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I just got a pair of $500 'new' Prada gold gladiator sandals for $85!!!! Amazing deal!!!! I definitely had to play the 'put things back' game and even when I did that, I tried to go back the next day and buy some gold Miss Sixty capri leggings and could not find them anywhere. I ended up having a lot of the wonderful employees on the hunt for these leggings and ended up discovering that they had been packed up and shipped out THAT DAY because they were considered 'summer clothes'. As a women who knew that she wanted those rockin' gold legging's, they took down my info and said they would try to track them down...we shall see what happens.
My only advice is for the employees to make sure that customer's know that merch is on sale at the cash register and shoppers, ask for discounts on seasonal items!!!!

1 Thank Crazyjo5
Those Prada gladiator sandals were rockin’! We were so excited that you were so excited! As for the Miss Sixty capris, we hunted high and low for those, called the warehouse and had them on the hunt for them, but alas they had already been shipped out in our donations. So, somebody, somewhere will get to sport those sassy lookin’ capris in your honor. Glad you had fun and thanks for the feedback as well. Hope you get to make it back to UBC soon! ~ B. Cantrell
chattanooga, TN
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Some good bargains but not like it used to be”
Reviewed July 24, 2010

So we just left the store and have to say that it wasn't a bargain finder day but walked away with a few deals. Nothing I couldn't live without. We usually stop in once every 3 years. The place has had a face lift & is much nicer and easy to navigate. Was better organized and less junk. There are some ridiculous high prices on about 35% of merchandise. There are some bargains to be found. Examples: $2 nighty, $4 tankini top, $10 earphones (reg $50), $8 black dress shoes, $1-$3 hoop earings so those are certainly good deals. But I will say this their snack/lunch bar was fabulous!! Expensive $21 for coffee, coke, sandwich, salad & desert. but sooooo worth it & good healthy choices choices. Their selection has crossed over to include new items similar to a Big Lots or Dollar Store. Also there are many scouters that are looking to buy up the good deals and resale probably at flea markets which is sad cause we probably rarely see the good stuff.

UnclaimedBaggageCtr, Guest Relations Manager at Unclaimed Baggage Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thanks for the kudos on the store improvements. It’s been 15 years since our last face lift and in honor of our 40th anniversary; we thought it was time to remodel again. Glad to see you found some good deals and you enjoyed our Cups Café. As a repeat shopper, you have taken notice that we have expanded some of our inventory to include Opportunity Buys, but I would hope that you would have thought the quality is better than Big Lots or the Dollar Store. Scouters for resale? Maybe a few, but most of them are scouters for a good deal, just like the next shopper. Hope you return before another 3 years passes by. Take Care, ~B. Cantrell
Columbia, South Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“One Step up from Goodwill!”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I had heard of unclaimed baggage center from travel channel and other sources and figured "Hey, I have a week off from work what they heck I will check it out" I was sadly mistaken.

Most of what was there was used clothing. I am sorry I don't care how much you wash it, it was on someone else's body and I am not going to put that on me. They even had used bathing suits! Do you know how disgusting that is??

Most of what I found there wasn't even shop worn it was dingy to say the least the place had an odor, somewhere between musty and sweaty.

They offered Laptop computers for the same price that I could buy them brand new, the Jewelry they offered looked no better than what you might find "Off the back of the truck"

Save yourself the time and the trouble. Also ask yourself this one question If the place is world famous, and has been in operation 30 years why is it located in a one horse town, that looks like its out of deliverance!

2 Thank JeffSoward
Readers, please read this response before you “ask yourself that question”. You are correct that a large selection of what we have is used clothing. These were personal items that people traveled with-that is the concept that our business was been founded on 40 years ago. However, we launder and dry clean all the used items before we stock the better selection of items we have purchased. We also sell bathing suits and undergarments, only the best quality of the laundered ones, but the majority of those categories are new items with the original tags on them, having never been worn. For the store to be musty and sweaty is puzzling to me. We are weeks away from the completion of a full store remodel, including paint, carpet, sheetrock, fixtures are more. We operate 24 commercial air conditioning units to cool the large building we are in. As for the jewelry, many of these were personal effects that were in luggage, including the $17,000 diamond ring we currently have. We also stock items from our Opportunity Buys category to stock great inventory in these cases, although you feel our quality is poor. As for our location, we are proud to call Scottsboro home. It in no way looks like it is out of Deliverance. We are a typical small town, with a downtown square, quaint shops and friendly people, just like you would find in most small towns in the US. that are the heart and soul of our country. The business began here 40 years ago and continues strong today. We are famous because of who we are, what we do and how we do it. Not where we are located. ~B. Cantrell
Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“I drove from Orlando with my wife and our...”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I drove from Orlando with my wife and our 16 y/o daughter. We had seen UBC on the travel channel and were very excited about our trip there. Wow! What a disappointment. It's just one big thrift store. Yes, it's clean and most of the staff is friendly, but it really is not worth more than an hour drive. I can see where the locals would get a great deal, if they went a couple times a week. The Annex was very scary with the old household goods. We bought one thing and that was a book for my daughter. We do get better deals in Orlando. Scottsboro was a decent town with big beauty. The people are not overly friendly and the restaurants are just okay. Just my opinion, you decide for yourself.

1 Thank iwanagothere
UnclaimedBaggageCtr, Guest Relations Manager at Unclaimed Baggage Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
I’m glad you recently made the trip to Scottsboro and appreciate the beauty we proudly call Home. However, I’m sorry you didn’t get more out of your visit than a book. We work hard to provide a desirable inventory with the parameters in which we work (people’s lost stuff!), but obviously there are times when what we have and what you want don’t match up on the day you visit. But don’t give up! We have such a wide range of items that change daily that if you were to make the trip again if you are in the area, hopefully you would discover a treasure for yourself. ~ B. Cantrell