“Perfection - For a Vegetarian”
Review of Fu 1088

Fu 1088
Ranked #317 of 16,954 Restaurants in Shanghai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
The Village, Manhattan, NY
“Perfection - For a Vegetarian”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

OMG!!! What amazing vegetarian food. Some of the best of my life. Had to ask for someone who understood English. Once we did - meal went very smoothly. ASK! Really wonderful location.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank stephrab

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
“Perfect for special occasion Shanghaiese food!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This restaurant has been on my to-try list for a while, but I needed a special occasion (to justify the RMB400 / person food order minimum), and a couple times, it had no availability when I tried to book a few days in advance.

It well-met my expectations!

Beautiful environment - private dining rooms of an old mansion, with lush blue velvet chairs and old Shanghai furniture and decor (carved wood cabinet, cream lace curtains, oil painting). Art Deco bathrooms - black and white tile. Live piano music played from a central room on the ground floor, so that it could barely be heard with the door closed but would waft into our room whenever the waiter(s) came in.

Great service. From courteous bows and smiles, to arranging to change our room from the 2nd floor to ground level to accommodate my relative with a sprained ankle. Checking in regularly but maintaining our privacy.

Excellent Shanghaiese food. We could really taste the quality of the ingredients - e.g. in the garlic with beef dish, in the lake shrimp dish, eel and kaofu (wheat gluten) appetizers, delicacies (abalone, sea cucumber, shark fin, scallop, pork rib, etc..) soup. The Shi Yu flavor was amazing, and beautifully presented with ham, ginger, scallion and fermented rice dressing. Another favorite was the Red Braised Pork - great texture and sauce!

Everything we ordered was delicious. Well, except for one appetizer, the vegetarian goose. That was surprisingly disappointing. The tofu skins were too thin and deep-fried, and did not come stuffed with vegetables as usual; the sesame or peanut-based sauce was also unimpressive. But yes, everything else was awesome! We ordered about a dozen dishes, including appetizers and main courses. Even the pot of chrysanthemum tea was among the best I've ever had. And the beers were affordable (~RMB30 / bottle) and served cold.

I will definitely consider this place again for special group (6+ people) events! Not smaller because of the large order sizes and the set-up being all private dining rooms.

• Visited November 2013
London
“The best cod I've ever tasted”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was a truly exceptional meal in beautiful surroundings. It is well worth the minimum spend. For appetisers we ordered potato salad with pine nuts and diced tuna and mango salad served in a crispy wafer - both delicious. For mains we had oven baked cod with spring onions, king prawn with minced pork in chilli sauce with black sesame noodles, "ba bao" pork mix with spicy sauce and Shanghai cabbage with bean curd and salted pork. I think the Shanghai cabbage dish was the weakest. The other dishes were all extremely good, especially the cod! A must order! I'm from the coast in North East England so I eat cod all the time, but none as good as this! We also ordered some dim sum - puff pastry with beef curry and baked Shanghainese pastry with spring onion. I would recommend the second over the first. For dessert we had homemade rum raisin ice-cream, which was nice, and green tea tiramisu, which was absolutely amazing. It's more like a white chocolate mousse. Before we went to this restaurant a lot of people had complained to us that Shanghainese food is too sweet. We didn't find this to be the case at all in this restaurant. I would urge anyone visiting Shanghai to book a table!

Visited October 2013
Hong Kong, China
“A total rip off by the rudest waiters ever!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We went to Fu 1088 a couple of nights ago. The place is very interesting and set in a beautiful mansion but by the time we got there it was rather empty. When we made the reservation we were informed that we had to spend 400rmb each as minimum consumption and we thought it was alright as we like to drink nice wines... After ordering some of the food the guys starts complaining that we had not reached the minimum spending and pushes us into dishes that were super expensive and not anyway of our liking... that's when we realize that drinks were not included and when we said they should Chou t drinks in, the waiter got really annoyed and said that he didn't care and that his boss made the rules. When I asked to see his boss he said be was not there and continued shouting saying that we were wasting his time and that he was simply a waiter there! We were astonished by the rudeness and we said that actually we were trying the restaurant that night as we wanted to organize a large dinner in late September there... I'll simply never set foot in that place again.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Marco R
Shanghai, China
“Very good building with traditioinal environment & decorating, very delicious food”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I like the shanghai style food, each dish is perfect; the environmen and decorating are nice, service is good.
a bit expensive.