“Breathtaking View, Rather Overpriced on Weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of New Heights - CLOSED

New Heights
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: The Bund
Seoul, South Korea
“Breathtaking View, Rather Overpriced on Weekends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I've visited here two nights in a row, Thursday night and Friday night, as the view was so striking overseeing all the Waitan area from the outdoor lounge at the rooftop.
The view of the best of Shanghai was literally breathtaking from there, then became rather eerie as most of the lights went out at the same time on 11PM sharp.

The view was more than worth the price for some cover charge ($20~$30 something, I guess) for the outdoor seating during the weekdays, but beware there's a minimum order of RMB 3,000 for outdoor seating on Weekends, starting from Friday.

All in all, this place is worth a shot if you're around, and don't forget to bring your own windbreaker as it was rather chilly and they were out of blankets .

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
“Great views and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

My family really enjoyed our evening here. Fantastic views and good food. I had the duck and it was delicious. Service was attentive and friendly. My only comment would be to say that bottled water was ridiculously priced however that did seem to be the trend at most bars/restaurants around that particular area.

Spokane Valley, Washington
“I Got So Sick”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I ate at this restaurant on 24 April and ordered a meal that consisted of a scoop of rice with an egg over easy on top of it, two small kabobs and a prawn. I got so sick from the meal. I'm convinced the egg was contaminated. Took me four days to recover from this single meal. I travel the world and never get sick. We chose to eat here to stay off the street and to experience a nice upscale, reliable restaurant. Wow, was I wrong. Not impressed.

• Visited April 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“New heights takes us to new heights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stumbled across this restaurant by suggestion of our hotel. When we first walked in we were stunned by the amazing view of the bund. We were also welcomed by the extremely friendly Maitre De who spoke english and talked to us about our stay in Shanghai. Next the food, well it was truly amazing, I am a very fussy eater and i inhaled the meal, and was left content and full. We also tried their espresso martinis which we have drank all over the world, and these were well made and delicious. We loved it so much we booked again for dinner the next night, trying different dishes and different cocktails (which were made especially for us by the bar manager). We were not disappointed we loved the food again and the drinks were divine. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Shanghai.

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Superb view, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was my fourth visit at New Heights – and the best. Still, the before dinner drink at the terrace has an unbeatable view.

I chose a five course Icelandic seafood dinner! (well, the dessert was not fish nor Icelandic).

Together with another, three course special menu it looked more interesting and especially more value for money than the a la carte. A class of wine were included in both, for mine it was French Champagne, and a good one.

The four seafood dishes were creative, a bit unusual and very delicious.

I didn’t order water (often it is ridiculous expensive in these places), but even though I got plain water, without chlorine taste.

The service was perfect but for one thing. After the first course, nothing happened for say 15-20 minutes. The supervisor came and asked if I was happy. “No, I miss my food”. He excused with something about the chef was unhappy with my fish and needed to start over. Don’t know if it was true. In the meantime I could have the soup, which arrived instantly and was good. Excuse accepted! The rest of the service was spot on.

One extra glass of white wine was 120 Yuan, quite something, but the New Zealander wine was great, and the glass big, and the total price for the dinner was fair (some 550 Yuan).

• Visited April 2014