“Top 10 in Shanghai in my view ... and, oh, the view!”
Review of Jean-Georges

Jean-Georges
Ranked #49 of 16,893 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: Jean-Georges, opened in 2004, is a pioneer of French fine dining in Shanghai. With the spirit of constantly challenging and reinventing itself, a total renovation has taken place in late 2015. We are now excited to announce the completion of the renovation with brand new bar, lounge, dining room, private room and open kitchen. We look forward to welcoming you back from 1st , April 2016 for a unique experience.
Orlando, Florida
“Top 10 in Shanghai in my view ... and, oh, the view!”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I've not had the chance to try the JG in NY like some of the other reviewers. But for me, after living 2 years in Shanghai, this is one of my favorites. And for sure it is 1 of only 2 restaurants on The Bund that I keep coming back to.

Yes, the price is high. So I save it for special occasions. And yes, the wine prices are insanely high, like all Bund restaurants, so I drink little. If the price is your only complaint, then you need to simply stay away from the Bund, unfortunately, they all charge a premium for that view. Doesn't make it right, but makes it a fact of Shanghai dining.

On average, the servers are a 4, but the manager on duty when I was there (Christophe?) was wonderful and helpful. The Kingfish sashimi is so delicious (I would like to eat it once a week) and my dessert with a surprise ('jumping sugar') was delicious AND fun.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Of course, it's good... But is it really special?”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This restaurant of Jean-Georges Vongerichten was recommend to me by a colleague and I took a party of 8 here. We had a drink at the bar first but we were kind of rushed to our table as if the staff felt we're running out of time. The menu is interesting at first with dishes such as red snapper with nuts and seeds, and parsnip soup with coconut and mint but basically consists out of classics with a twist. I was not overly impressed with the execution of these dishes: certainly quite good but not justifiying all the buzz around this restaurant.
I guess you go here for the entire concept: the building is beautifully restored and the decoration of the restaurant is very tasteful and really like "a night out". But with a check of over 11,000 RMB I was hoping it would have been an unforgettable experience... I would recommend Vue on the 30st floor of the Hyatt instead.

• Visited April 2014
Shanghai, China
“Great ambience, good food, so so desert, expensive”
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I do love Jean's creation. Was a frequent at Markets by Jean George at the W hotel in Doha for years. Went to his restaurant in Shanghai for the first time today for the Sunday brunch. We left relatively happy but we didn't go wow to be honest and we find the pricing a bit on the high side. My husband had the 'luxury set' for RMB396 and you get smoked salmon with egg caviar, eggs Benedict with black truffle, lobster terrine (couldn't taste the lobster apparently) and French toast pastry (not nice too apparently) - all very very small portions - all four fit on one plate. My son had the 'JW brunch plate' for RMB248 and he got smoked salmon with potatoes, French toast pastry, eggs Benedict and pancakes with maple syrup. I had the set menu for RMB298 for one starter, one main and a desert (and pan extra RMB98 for an additional main) - I had a boiled shrimp salads, baked cod and beef striploin (paid extra for this) and they were all very good indeed. Didn't eat the desert. So we would recommend the set menu instead of the four on one plate sets for taste as well as value. Must not forget to mention the magnificent view of the bund if you are seated in front of the windows. Service was very good too. For pizza and truffles lovers, Jean does a very good black truffle pizza which I had in another restaurant of his. It is available here but we didn't order it. There is a lovely and big bar area which is in a separate area from the dining area. Dark dark wood, velvet curtains, very inviting to sit and enjoy a few nice whisky and a nice cigar - if you are prepared to pay close to RMB800 for a shot of Macallan 25 years!

Visited May 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Nice”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Food is great and service is good though the team does not look too alert to service requests at lunch. Deco looks good in the daylight but dinner in the evening is better with the indoor lighting and Shanghai night view.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank GoGoEasy
London, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Love the decor and atmosphere of this restaurant. We were sat by a window directly in front of the TV tower so the light show was a great back drop to the meal. I started with Tuna strips (delicious), followed by crab risotto (delicious), followed by duck confit (delicious) and a very rich chocolate pudding (it was my birthday after all). This was washed down with a glass of champagne and some great red wine. I would definitely recommend. Book in advance.

• Visited May 2014