“Great pool, good food”

Ranked #2,358 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai
“Great pool, good food”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had read mixed reviews of this hotel but really enjoyed my stay. The staff were attentive and friendly and the lobby/restaurants/meeting rooms have been recently refurbished and are excellent. The hotel facilities are large and very good, especially the deserted and very clean 25m pool. The room are large, comfortable and clean even if the "Versailles" decor is a little out of keeping with the rest of the hotel's more contemporary feel! Breakfast on this full occupancy day was crowded but the food was of a high standard as was the a la carte lunch and the dinner in the excellent Chinese restaurant. This hotel is trying very hard to be great, and when the guest room refurbishment is completed later this year I think it will be. In the meantime, this is a great option for a reasonably priced leisure break away from the city centre, or for a corporate meeting/event. I am not a golfer, but they also apparently now do a very well priced golf package if you fancy playing on a Jack Nicklaus-designed course.

Room Tip: Choose the Golf Course view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Richard R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lake Malaren, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear DKLondon,

Greetings from Crowne Plaza Shanghai Lake Malaren and thank you for the nice words about our hotel and related services.

Our mission here is to deliver great service to our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver, many things still to work on but this is the mission and we will not rest until all reviews are great.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and if I can be of assistance to you please do not hesitate to ask.

Richard Rennie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Arrived late so could not see the area well but the front of the hotel was very nice the lobby was very nice, most of the other Crowne Plazas I have been to in Shanghai are not as nice.

Staff was very nice asked me if I wanted to join their program but was tired so did not want to wait but did join in the morning.

Room was not bad and was very clean, I called for room service and they were very fast and nice.

A nice hotel which I did not know about before but glad I found it and overall a nice place not too far from downtown to get away from.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times. It is a very nice hotel. It has wonderful potential. It has the perfect location for my business and leisure travels. I always say, it is quirky. Odd things happen, but never anything major but what is next...this stay was different. The staff was more attentive and Michael the Asst. Manager, in particular, was on the job 24/7. He made my stay special, from helping me in house to guiding me to the sub-way downtown without a problem!
I saw a drastic change in every way which I can only attribute to management, as I have stayed there 6 times in the last 6 years. Thank you Michael (and Richard for hiring him) good move!!
I am looking forward to my next stay with pleasure rather than apprehension!!
Lucy

Room Tip: Get the rooms facing the golf course, there is construction on the front of the hotel quite often
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Richard R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lake Malaren, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Lucy,

Thank you very much for the very positive review as well as the notice of Mikael's hard work. We have worked hard on the service here at the hotel and continue to do so on a daily basis, with the mission of our guests looking forward to staying with excitement rather than with apprehension.

If there is anything we can do to help you plan your next visit please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here as we were on business in Shanghai, it is quite a way outside the city (not the hotels fault however as you cant help where you are located) there are excellent views of the golf course and the room was very comfortable with all the necessary ameneties, staff were all on hand to help you in any way and were all very professional.
My sticking points are that you had to pay extra for the use of internet (minor issue but irritating as every other hotel we stayed in it was free) but more importantly arriving for breakfast first thing in the morning all the food you would expect to be piping hot is actually cold!? Having been a head chef for some 20 years its alarming to see food especially cooked rice dishes being slowly heated over a period of some hours which is not good practice as rice can be very dangerous if not handled in the correct manner with regard to temperature controls, all the food should be thourally heated then displayed at the appropriate temperature, i would assume that the food was all precooked and not freshly cooked in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Richard R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lake Malaren, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for the overall good review and the point you have brought up with regards to the food has been brought to the attention to the Kitchen team already. We want our guests to start their day right and a good breakfast is part of this. We have changed some of the procedures used which should solve the problem from now on. On you next visit to our hotel please let me we can be of assistance and actually there are quite a few things to do in the area near the hotel and we will do a better job of communicating this to guests as well for a more enjoyable stay.

Bay Area, California
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was the desigbated choice for a conference with no alternatives. It is quite a way outside of Shanghai in a newly developed suburb. Tooked nearly an hour to get there from Pudong Airport even at night. There is really nothing much nearby other than the adjoining golf course. So this would not be a great choice for tourists unless you can get a great deal to stay here. The nearest subway station is a very long walk. The hotel is decent enough, not a 5 star hotel that you can find downtown Shanghai. I was struck by the fact that where the iron balcony met the concrete the metal was completely corroded through, leaving intact support in only 2 out of 8 places. Surprising for a relatively new hotel. The place is quiet and the restaurant food was average to slightly above average. The staff was friendly although check out took a while in my case because locals in front if me were arguing over the bill.

• Stayed September 2012
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed October 12, 2012

MY second stay in this hotel. Good location for my business needs but very far from downtown. Good quality room and nice views of golf course. But you have to pay extra for internet. Also if you go for breakfast at 6:30 evrything is cold, cannot understand why they put COLD food into the hot dishes to heat it up - surely they can manage to cook the bacon etc and put it straight ibto the hot dishes and not wait until it is cold - VERY disapponiting breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Richard R, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Lake Malaren, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Mr. Phil R.

Greetings from Crowne Plaza Shanghai Lake Malaren and we have received your second review of our hotel, we are disappointed that we did not meet the standards we strive for during your stay with us with regards to your breakfast. On behalf of the team and me as General Manager I apologize for this and we will take action immediately to fix the problems causing this.

We will do a full review with our kitchen operations team to ensure that this problem is fixed as we strive to provide food to it's expected temperature.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and we will have this fixed for sure, if we can be of service to you please do not hesitate to let me know directly if needed.

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed 3 nights here recently. Very modern, spacious room, bathroom with seperate shower and bath all usual complimentray amenities, very clean, good service, pictoresque location on golf course, good buffet breakfast, some channels on tv in english. Internet is not free 60RMB for 24 hours, bit far from city centre -1 hour on train, no currency exchange.

Room Tip: Negotiate room rate beforehand, they can give good rate with breakfast included.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business