“A good choice for business trip”

Howard Johnson Huaihai Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #193 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong
“A good choice for business trip”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed in Howard Johnson Huaihai for three nights in my last business trip. The location is close to subway station (Xie Xi Nang Road) and there are lots of nice restaurants nearby (along Dong Hu Road). The hotel staff at the front desk, although a bit slow, are helpful in check-in, check-out, calling taxi, etc. The standard room (named Deluxe Room) is reasonably sized and clean, but signs of age can still be easily recognized. The bathroom fits in a basin, a water closet, a tub and a shower cubicle. Water pressure and temperature are good. The beddings and toiletries satisfied basic expectation. The thermostat is a bit handicapped for me as there is no control on fan speed. And in fact, the temperature can never be dropping to below 25.5 C although I set it as 20. This made the room stuffy and super warm. There is free wifi in room but seems that the password given did not work. I did not bother as I have my own hot spot already. The breakfast buffet is served on L2 and the selection is limited. As for quality, so so. I had used the gym on L3 for two mornings, and there equipped some tread machines and a few dumb bells for weight training. It was good to me who just wants some cardio.

I would recommend this hotel for business trip. If for vacation, it depends whether one would like to spend longer in the hotel. If so, this may not be a good choice due to limited amenities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Depending on your location of business in Shanghai this is a great hotel and I would no doubt stay here again. The Hotel is about a block or so from the Metro 10 line (which connects your quickly to the 2 line and everywhere in town). The Breakfast is decent, offering both Western fare and traditional items. The Hotel staff is very nice, speaks numerous languages, and is always willing to help. There are many restaurants in the local area that you can walk too offering cuisines from all over the world. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

Buenos Aires
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Location:
One reason why I chose this hotel was it's location near Huahai road and a few restaurants and nightlife spots. I specifically did not want to be near the more touristic area of Nanjing road and so forth. . .
In all of the above I can say I'm 100% satisfied. Also one of entrances to the subway (Line 10 - South Shaanxi) is about only 4 blocks away.

Rooms:
It's hard for me to tell since I had an upgrade but, even if I correct for it, I can still state that the room was very clean, comfortable, modern, functional, spacious and pleasant looking. The only annoyance was the air conditioning "heating" system: In general, the room was colder than I like (and colder than so-called "room temperature") and, not unreasonably, any extra heating you set gets reset when you leave and the power shuts down. Also, mind you, I had my own international electric socket adapters.

Service:
Never needed anything special so I can't say much about this. I only used the laundry service and went through the basic check-in, check-out, get-me-a-cab stuff without incident. Not without exceptions, the staff's English is limited and a some don't speak it at all. My Chinese is even worse. In all, they try to be friendly and do a good job.

Amenities/Other:
Not much in this department. Not that it matters to me - except for the gym; which the hotel does happen to have. Other than treadmills (and similar) and dumbells (with which you kind if have to make do) the gym is incomplete and some of the machines are not usable.
The hotel has a buffet breakfast. I only went once just to try. For less than half the price you can have tea, some pastry and fruit at any of the nearby Starbucks (or whatnot). Similarly, didn't even bother trying the buffet restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel, the first impression was the cleanliness and nice interior. Unlike mosst hotels, their front desk is much lower, hence allowing customers and staff to interact better. Checking-in was smooth and fast.

I stayed in the corner suite and it was huge. Bathroom was great and complete with everything that I had hoped for. The whole room was very clean and comfy. Bed was clean, no stains and very nice to sleep on.

Staff were great and fast. i asked for an universal adapter and it was delivered promptly to my room. There was free wifi in the room and I could request for additional ids to surf on my other devices.

Room service was ok - meal selection was somewhat limited though. The food I ordered did not taste that good.

Breakfast was alright, decent choices.

Overall, this hotel is definitely a great hotel to stay in. With such comfy room, I could really stay in the room without going out. Pity that I stayed only for a night and would definitely look forward to staying in this hotel again.

gold coast
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Concierge at this hotel was excellent. He assisted us with train tickets and bus tickets. He refunded our bus tickets after a misunderstanding with the bus company. All our communications with him were always with a smile and genuine warmth. He took pleasure in helping us. So, Thank You - our visit to Shanghai was made more memorable because of our encounter...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel has not special interesting point a part the location that is strategic for its position.

I found a very annoying problem: if you try to connect to the WIFI, you need to know how to read chinese since the interface to the web is Chinanet and you have to guess how to do since the module is in Chinese. You need to get password and ID from reception and byt the way I lost half hour only to understand how to do. I guess that an hotel like this should have a own interface and not rely on the telecom.

Room average and with some not very well maintened sofà.

Good Check in, fast check out.

Price and value perception are not very well balanced.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is great hotel for Puxi side in Shanghai if you are looking for great restaurant, bars, and flavor of old and modern Shanghai. Just a block away from Subway line 1 and 10 station, and in the middle of French Concession, give this place a try!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business