“Very good hotel if you wish to stay near Fudan University”

Howard Johnson Caida Plaza Shanghai
Ranked #235 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
“Very good hotel if you wish to stay near Fudan University”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

If you wish to stay near Fudan University, I can recommend this hotel. While it is not a "budget" hotel, it offers a good value for money for a business-oriented hotel, spacious and clean rooms (I stayed in the "club-level" on the top floors of the hotel, one week on the 19th floor, and two days on the 18th floor).
However, the area is quite far away of the main tourist sites, so if you are in town merely for tourism, I would look for another option: the city is simply too large, and, while taxis are relatively cheap the hotel is still quite far from the main, more centrally located, districts, and it it takes at least 10 minutes to walk to the closest subway station. (However, as taxis are cheap, one can also use a taxi to get to and from a subway station - overall it just takes more time that you might be comfortable with)

PROS: large rooms, good sized desk for work, wifi, large bathroom with good-sized tub and separate shower, good amenities, large TV screen (but only BBC world, and CCTV news in English), large and generous breakfast buffet (if you wish to take that option). And, contrary to some earlier reviews, there is English speaking staff at the reception.
It has a fitness area, but I did not use it.

CONS: the distance from main tourist sites like Bund, Yu Gardens, French concession, main temples, Pudong. That is why I give it only three stars for location( for Fudan proximity it is ideal); the choice of "western" staples at the breakfast buffet is limited but adequate; as Chinese eat early, dumplings are no longer as fresh as they need to be after around 8 in the morning, and the coffee pot might be empty (one day, when I asked for coffee after 9 and the container was empty by then, the hotel seemed to simply have added water to what was left in the filter, and the result was undrinkable; but then again: coffee is not a main drink in China, despite a trend towards more coffee shops).

Room Tip: The little extra cost for the "club level" room including breakfast should be considered...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank WiP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 2, 2013

While I was initially bit hesitant to stay in a HoJo, the hotel was more modern and better equipped than I imagined. Coming from that initial perspective, I was impressed by the look and feel of the lobby and the quality of furnishings in my room. The room was clean and large, including the bathroom (NOTE: I stayed on the 17th floor, a club floor). The hallways were a bit smokey (the case across much of China), but the room was not, and I found it quiet and comfortable. I had to pay a 200 RMB deposit for a wireless router, which I found a bit excessive. I had also been warned about the breakfast. There are a few great coffee shops a 10-minute walk away close to the gate of Fudan University. A good hotel if you are visiting Fudan or the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a club floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 15, 2013

i checked into this hotel for 3nts ahead of a MICE group coming in from India, what looks like a very large and clean good hotel with excellent uptodate rooms very comfortable stay and quick check in and friendly staff was messed by very bad restaurant and breakfast, including their restaurnat manager on duty at the Bliss so called wetern restaurant when i visited to have a quite dinner could not speak English and i had major problem conveying what i want to have for dinner, but their friendly attitude and effort to help made up for loss of time. breakfast in the morning was a total disaster for vegetarians with major portion of the breakfast being for oriental guests i had to request the sales persons to take care of F&B part in the hotel otherwise the hotel would lose its name. if they take care of their F&B this can be a damn good hotel again for the 4* price y ou are paying for, rest of thexpereince was really good and i would use this hotel if things are corrected by them during my next two days stay here.

Room Tip: If one is not worried about location but value for money hotel go for this hotel there is a super ma...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ARUN H
HOJOCaida, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Caida Plaza Shanghai, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for chosen our hotel and gave us comments.
I hope you will stay our hotel again. Then we will give you a brand new feeling.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here when I first moved to shanghai before I can move into my dorms, I thought it had a nice lobby, very bright and open. Checkin was smooth, no problems (perhaps because I can speak Chinese not sure about their english level) Wifi was not included but there was internet in the room, so i think i paid extra for that. Although I asked for a smoke free room... the FLOOOR REAKED OF SMOKE. Chinese people smoke everywhere....now on the the room, i was surprised actually since the hallway was a disappointment. I had a large king bed in a corner room (view was not bad) bathroom was clean. I also ordered room service at night some Hawaiian pizza and burger. (small but i was too lazy to actually venture for food considering it was late) I stayed for 3 nights, I tried their lunch there... prob not the best service since the food i wanted was on a "cheaper" menu not sure how to explain ...server provided us 2 menus and one was considerably more common food. Meh I would suggest to take a taxi to wujiaochang 2km less away to find some decent food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank worldfoodie615
HOJOCaida, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Caida Plaza Shanghai, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here this weekend and our time here was mixed. On the surface, the hotel is very agreeable and seems like it'd be a good 3-star hotel.

However, shortly into our 2-night stay, we found that our bathroom sink leaked, the shower drain was clogged, and flooded easily, and our room's TV had a very bad picture, which is a bit annoying, as we like to watch a little tv to unwind from a busy day and for news, weather, etc.

Also, when I went down to have breakfast on Saturday morning, I spoke to a lady who didn't really speak English, who then got another younger lady to speak to me. This woman (with a pony tail) spoke to me as I was trying to do something wrong. I simply said, "I do not have a reservation, may I still have breakfast?" This woman's face became a frown, her eyebrows scrunched together, and the tone of her voice was very rude and sharp. She said curtly "WRITE DOWN YOUR ROOM NUMBER". Nice customer care Howard Johnson.

Not to be totally negative, the maids on the 8th floor were very nice. It seems like the people who are hired to speak to the actual guests should learn how to be nice from the maids...

When we were checking out...a man tried to cut in front of us, and just slammed his key card on the desk and I had to intervene and mention that we had been waiting and were next and had been waiting for at least 10min. What is most disappointing is that unless I said something, the front desk lady wouldn't have done anything and would have let this man jump in front. Poor training.

After staying at: The Park Hyatt, the Westin, the Yangtze, and a few other hotels in Shanghai, I'd have to say that the Howard Johnson at Caida Plaza is the worst hotel that comes with a big name. Other than it's super convenient location to the nearby university, it's got nothing going for it. The best part of our stay was eating at Hai Di Lao hotpot! It's rated the #1 restaurant on here, and now we can see why! Polite, attentive staff, great service, superb atmosphere and a very enjoyable eating experience. Howard Johnson's staff could learn a lot from them.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 808, while this is a very lucky and auspicious number for Chinese, this room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HOJOCaida, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Caida Plaza Shanghai, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for chosen our hotel and gave us comments.
First we feel so sorry about our staff attitude and lack of professional training.Then we will spend more time on training new staff here.We hope what happened to you will never happen again.
Appreciate for telling us the engineering problem of room808 and we have already fix it now.
Sincerely hope you will stay our hotel again.Then we will give you a brand new feeling.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here at the start and finish of our tour to Huangshan. It's a decent hotel with everything you would need. There's free WIFI in the lobby, comfortable beds and good space even with 3 beds in the room. The thing I really dislike is the window into the bathroom from the main room, which I have no idea what use that would be. Also the shower door is not fully waterproofed, so water kept spraying out onto the floor. The buffet breakfast was fine, but not great. The service was very good and quick. You wouldn't pick this hotel if you wanted to go shopping or go out sightseeing. It's not close to anything except the university. So unless you're attending something nearby, stay somewhere else more convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim A
HOJOCaida, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Caida Plaza Shanghai, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
We kindly appreciate your comments and be satisfied with our service.
Thank you for help us to find out the problem within the room.
The window in the bathroom is our characteristic, you may put down the curtain if you want.
Also there is a big shopping center in Wujiaochang which only takes10mins by taxi.
Sincerely welcome back to our hotel again.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Howard Johnson during a business trip in November 2012. The rooms and decor of the hotel are good with comfortable rooms. Service is also good.
However the downside of the hotel is the location. There is no shopping or other activity nearby. The charge of 60 RMB per day for internet use is also disappointing.
The breakfast buffet is average at best, with the same food being repeated everyday. The food itself is nothing great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Chaitanya A
HOJOCaida, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Caida Plaza Shanghai, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments and satisfied with our service.Hotel management personnel to what you have found is quite important, we will be improved, and sincerely hope that you check in our hotel next time, and giving you a whole new experience.