“Not Bad At All”
Review of Parkview Hotel

Parkview Hotel
Ranked #139 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We booked at this hotel because it was not too far from the exhibition center where we were going to attend a food fair. We arrived very late at this hotel at almost midnight after a long trip from the airport. The hotel's location is an hour away from the airport.

We were not expecting too much as the room rates were very reasonable and the front desk guy did not speak English well. All we wanted to do was get to the room and order our dinner from room service.

We were pleasantly surprised to find the room quite nice and clean with special amenities like an ironing board, hair dryer, a tub and a shower. The bed was quite comfortable to sleep in and the sheets were crisp and white.

We ordered noodle soup and fried rice from Room Service and they arrived within 30 minutes. The food was satisfying and exceeded our expectations. The breakfast buffet spread the following morning was very good and very extensive. Very good value for money indeed. The place was very nice, with floor to ceiling glass overlooking a garden.

The hotel is at a good location and if you like to walk, you will find Shanghai very nice. The area is very green and clean. Taxis are available outside the hotel and you just have to have a bellman call one for you.

The train station is a 15 minute walk away and if you like shopping, the station is housed in a shopping mall. You will find a lot of designer knock-offs, souvenirs, coats, clothes, paintings, decor and pretty much anything you want. It was quite fun to check out the wares as there was so much variety. Make sure you haggle before buying. Ask for a 50% discount to start with as there seems to be no real price. The vendors are eager for a sale and if you walk away, they will come after you and give you the merchandise at the price that you wanted.

Room Tip: If you're attending an exhibit, the organizers are able to get good room rates for you so make s...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed at Parkview Hotel in Shanghai's Pudong area last week. On arrival, was checked in very quickly and our bags were taken up to our room. I think we must have been upgraded because the superior room we had was larger then our colleagues. This was a nice surprise. The rooms are large in general whether upgraded or not. They seem quite new and are clean! Bed are comfortable, shower large, also bath in bathroom, but bathroom only had one sink which is unfortunate. Room had broadband ethernet connection (cable in room) but not wireless. Room service is good and breakfast buffet is extensive. Overall a good hotel ad compared to prices of other similar rated hotels, this was by far the best value for money. I was very happy with my stay here. would recommend!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jkan88
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Considering the price the rooms are just what I expected, spacious and comfortable. If you do not bring your own computer and have some work to do you will be facing a slow, old and not very well maintained computer in the business center for which you will have to pay 30Y for the half hour. This I found outrageous and it has really turned the experience sour. Staff do speak English, but my request for the roomservice to deliver faster (Huh?), faster, quicker, more quickly (Huh?) than the announced half hour was not understood "You want Pasta?" The food was okay and considering there is nothing in walking distance you will not starve but do not expect anything out of the ordinary. One thing annoyed me, at the restaruant in the lobby or with room service you could not order local water, it was Evian (for an outrageous price). Really, lower the hotel prices to half, and I will be back. Otherwise, I will look around for something worth the money.

One good thing is the walking distance to the subway station. Turn right when leaving the hotel, walk past the art institute, you come to a big square where you turn left. It is a 5 minute walk. You will know when you are they by being instantly pestered by someone trying to take you to the fake market which is inside the subway station.

Another thing the hotel should really know better: I did not know the Maglev only operates till 9:30 pm. But the hotel should. So when I ordered a taxi at the hotel to take me there they should have prevented me. So here for you not to make the same mistake I made, the subway only operates till 9 pm on the way out to Pudong and the Maglev till 9:30. So from the hotel, if you are that late, take a Taxi directly to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank K0rinna
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed here on a business trip. The room was large and comfortable. The furnishings, wallpaper and draperies were nearly new. The service was freindly. I enjoyed the restaurant. I wiould call it good, but not spectacular as many business hotels aim to be. If I return to this area, I will definately book here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I stayed for a business trip in this hotel.
It is not so well situated in Puddong but room are quiet big.
So it is a good value for money if you have to work in Puddong.
Service is not really customer oriented and restaurant is really not so good.
Taxi is really necessary to take a taxi to enjoy somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2010

The Parkview offers in my opinion good value for money. A sign, that the competition between the hotels is heating up prior to the Expo. I got the room incl breakfast for 650 RMB.

The Parkview is situated in Pudong, around 30 min by taxi from the International airport, next to the Oriental Art Museum and in walking distance to the Science Museum. Metro line No. 2 is in walking distance as well and offers easy access to the city centre of Shanghai and the Bund. The Plaza shopping centre with a Carrefour supermarket and various shops and restaurant is 15 - 20 min by foot.

As noted by other posters, rooms are spacious and internet connection (free of charge) is surprisingly fast. The bar restaurant offers a mix of Asian and Western food, most of this available via room service also. The Chinese retsaurant in the 2nd floor offers decent Cantonese and Shanghainese food, but as its situated above the hotel lobby offers not a very cosy environment.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Cityeast
Reviewed April 10, 2010

First off the name is somewhat misleading, my view was of an 8 lane highway and an electricity substation. Perhaps the park 'was visible from the other direction, or, possibly they were referring to the carpark. But the quality of the building, room, design, free (wired) internet and everything else was super - you can open the windows for a bit of ventilation (I think they are double or possibly even triple glazed keeping the room a stable temperature all over and keeping the highway noise out) and the aircon (heater in this case as it was freezing outside). Big downiside for me staying there for four days was that there was no supermarket, restaurant or streetlife in the vicinity. Pudong is a well kept wastland. Another conundrum: the lobby store sells performance enabling pills for gentlemen but I had to take a 10 min cab ride to find a place that sold panadol/tylonol. And I had to get directions for this from the woman who runs a convenience booth in the Metro because the hotel staff couldn't direct me to a pharmacy.

While the food was well priced for a hotel, and pretty tasty, imagine my disappointment when I discovered that teh room service menu I had been salivating over was out of date so my selection was no longer available. They replaced it and were very nice about it though. They were also very helpful with my phone that was missing a charger by using some only-in-china device that apparently can charge all batteries. it worked on my blackberry at any rate.

Two things were good about breakfast:
1. there is a juicer, this is both fun and healthy
2. if you dont have time to play at making your own juice mix, they have ready made little sandwiches and buns that you can just grab and eat en route to wherever you are late for.

I didn't like how the restaurant and bar were the same space and that the bar area was unatmospherically lit. Its a little thing but it was like trying to go have a quiet drink after work while sitting on a stool on a floodlit stage.

I took a daily shuttle to the SNIEC (shanghai new international exhibition centre) which was not far away (near the maglev terminus).

Anyway overall the place was great at what it was trying to be - a 4 star business hotel in sanitised Pudong. If you have to stay there to be close to what ever business you are doing it's better than great. if you want to experience China or, like, any action at all dont go here. Oh yeah, the fake mall is OK but there is no actual shopping, for anyone who wants to buy actual stuff.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business