“ribs are to die for”

ShangHai DiShuiDong (MaoMing South Road)
Ranked #39 of 17,402 Restaurants in Shanghai
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Trip Advisor is so great- another great find.

First night in Shanghai after getting abused by the weather, taxi and hotel we wanted some GOOD food. I'm Chinese but know nothing about Hunan food so in no way am I an expert. I know what I like and I'm not afraid to tell ya!

Good sign is that the place was crowded, we only waited 5 minutes for a table so no biggie. The waitress spoke very little English but no problem, they have pictures on the menu and I already knew what I wanted. GIMME THE RIBS! We also ordered the french green beans (always good) and the prawns. Clearly, the star was the ribs. Very crispy on the ends and no shortage of spices. If you can't eat spicy food, do not come here. We also had the beer that was on tap at the recommendation of the waitress. My husband and I are adventurous eaters and this place definitely made our night. We came back a second night on our 3 night stay in Shanghai it was that good.

Smoking is allowed in the restaurant but wasn't very bad at all. A word of advice to ladies- the bathroom is squat style only. Be prepared!

Enjoy!

2  Thank Connie L

Reviewed January 15, 2013

the ribs were amazing but i believe i got foodpoisoning here...or the food was so spicy that my stomach had a bad reaction to it..so be careful what you order. or just get it in less spicey. but those ribs...mmmm

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The rave reviews are justified.

The atmosphere and service are great, the food is (truly) authentic and not pricey, and there is 1 local beer which is nice and cheap to wash the food down with (listed separately on the menu, not with the expensive / international beers). The ribs receive good reviews for good reason, and I've tried to reproduce them since I've gotten back to the UK.

You have to walk a couple blocks North from the subway, but not too far and it's well sign posted with neon lights.

The menu is huge, but plenty of pictures, but be warned (as someone who enjoys spicy and chilli food) the chilli dishes are truly hot and smothered in hot hot hot chillis. I had the chilli chicken and it was eye watering...

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Sorry to say you all missed THE best Hunan food in Shanghai as of 10-15 years ago this place was truly a one room dive on Maoming Lu. Then the food had a clarity and preciseness that is long lost. The ribs were the best ever and none of the dishes were greasy like they are now. Every plate then was beautifully cooked with bright clean flavors. Now with their success, the place is mostly a ex -pat haven for spice lovers who missed that whole early era. I still go once in a while but it is simply not the same. Too bad every great little place (think Lulu, South Beauty, Shao Nanguo) all have gone the way of commercialization.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Ordered ribs again and it still had the same ohh soo good taste. We also ordered fish and veggies and although they were both so spicy they both tasted delicious.