“You must try the ribs!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ShangHai DiShuiDong (MaoMing South Road)

ShangHai DiShuiDong (MaoMing South Road)
Ranked #25 of 16,842 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Spain
“You must try the ribs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Must admit that I do not frequent the restaurant often, and normally get good old Sherpa's to bring the delicious ribs to my door. The restaurant itself is okay, last time I was there, most of the staff were sleeping at free tables and they had not cleared away much debris from the lunch time crowd (I was there about 2pm, so after the rush), so the floor looked like it was being used as a dumping ground. However, totally worth looking past all that if you can for the ribs alone! Everything else I have tried has also been great. If you don't like the sound of the restaurant "decor", get that sherpa's account!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
“Great food, great fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My first time in Shanghai, and therefore at this fun restaurant. My husband has hosted many a party here so was eager to introduce me to the food. I've eaten a LOT of various Chinese cuisine but this was my first time for Hunan. Spicy but not too hot. We had the Mandarin fish (chef recommended) that was outstanding. We also had the french green beans and eggplant that was truly very different and delish for my palate. The hottest dish was the appetizer of sliced white radish and chilis...so different from the usual (and still on the menu) cucumber in hot oil.

Great selection of Belgian beers, plus a very good one on tap.

This is a casual joint for people who want to enjoy their food and their company. The service is efficient and polite. This time we were in the very large main room and I was amazed at how civil the noise level was, conversation was easy and not strained at all!

The prices are extremely reasonable. The decor is a tad kitschy but the tables and chairs are very comfortable.

I love this place and hope to come back before we leave Shanghai to sample more of this delicious food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Excellent food, good price, interior is ok.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Do not be afraid of "spicy" label - spice here is different from what Europeans consider spice - it is Hunan style (what ever that is). I myself usually can not eat spicy food, but this is just good for me. Price is adequate.
Always book in advance if don't want to spend an hour waiting in line on the evenings.
Do take bananas in caramel, but split the pieces before caramel cools down or entire banana will look like messed up sugar coated pizza in one peace :)
toilet could look better.

1 Thank Roman Z
Moscow, Russia
“Grate food for these who like it HOT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had un forgettable dinner being in Business trip. Like it hot? this is the place to go. I've been here 2 years back with my colleague who advised me that this is one of the best places to eat in Shanghai. That time i've spend in the place 2 evenings in a raw.
Returning now to Shanghai i made a promise to myself that i devote on evening at least for this place but i didn't remember almost anything among the fact that ribs in this place were really extraordinary. So using reviews on one of the sites i've found the one restaurant in this chain.
It was worth spending 40 minutes in traffic from my hotel!
Try ribs there it's a must to order for this place. I've also taken shrimps fired with garlic and crab in hot pot. There were some other thinks but these i mentioned are just remarkable. Wish you the nice dinner!

Melbourne, Australia
“Hot damn Hot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We had a late dinner, about 10:30ish, which worked out a treat as we didn't need to wait for a table.

We ordered the Mao shrimp, eggplant & French bean, beef hot pot and fried rice - loved it all, and the menu was really helpful with pictures and their recommendations. The service was good, food as advertised and full of chilli (as per menu picture) and as pointed out by another TA reviewer, a cold Tsing Tao well in order.

Also in a great location (Dong Ping Rd)

2 Thank Desi_1971