“a relaxing oasis in bustling shanghai...”

URBN Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #43 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
toronto
“a relaxing oasis in bustling shanghai...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

When I arrived at URBN, I was exhausted and irritable from my 20 hour flight from Canada, couldn't wait to set my things down. My taxi pulled up in front of this huge, beautiful wooden gate and URBN staff was actually there waiting for me. As I walked into the courtyard, I knew instantly that I had found an oasis within the hectic city. There were several fountains that drained out the noise from the streets and more greenery than I thought possible in Shanghai. The lobby and rooms were even more impressive. The service was friendly and quick -- I was in my room before I knew it, relaxing in my sunken lounge while running a bath in the japanese style free-standing tub.

As a nice touch, I received a phone call a few hours later from someone at the hotel's management, inviting me to enjoy a complimentary cocktail in the private lounge. I ended up in there till late and met tons of interesting people. THe next day, I got another call, inviting me to an exclusive art exhibit opening, Yoko Ono's art debut in China. That had to be my favourite part of the hotel. It's small enough that you feel like you get special attention and are well taken care of. The front desk was very useful when I had questions about where to go in Shanghai, they suggested restaurants, shopping and wrote down addresses for me.

All in all, I had a great experience at URBN and will be back whenever I get another chance to go to Shanghai.

• Liked — great service, cool management
  • Disliked — light switches -- sometimes hard to find
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2008

Stayed at URBN for four nights while on vacation in Shanghai the last week of October. All the press and reviews of this hotel are mainly true - the rooms are beautifully designed and a soothing oasis within the hectic city. We stayed in an Atrium room, and the all black bathroom was quite unique and impressive. The location of the hotel is good - in a bustling, more residential part of the city.

Unfortunately, our stay was tainted by the terrible service we received from staff during our entire stay. From the moment that we checked in, we were treated with a total lack of interest to help us. There were always several people behind the front desk at any given time, but they always seemed more interested in talking to each other and surfing the web than greeting us or answering our questions. In a city as overwhelming as Shanghai - it would've been nice to feel like we were being taken care of. We didn't have a safe in our room upon check-in and the staff did not have interest in placing one in there until I requested it twice. The common excuse I got when I asked a question (my missing safe, no more than 3 Chinese TV channels, no more than 5 outdated DVDs available from their "catalog") was that this is a new hotel. Since this hotel has been open for almost a year, I didn't find that to be a good reason.
And lastly, on our very first morning, we were given a very chilly warning by hotel management for bringing outside breakfast snacks to eat in the hotel outdoor dining space since that was "commercial space". I understand that we shouldn't be eating our own food in the hotel restaurant, but it was 8am and we were sitting there for no more than 5 minutes. Since the manager hadn't met us before, I think it would've been nice to warmly welcome us to the hotel first before scolding us to please eat our own food in our room. This unfriendly encounter is not something I expect to have when we are only one of 26 guests staying at a hotel?! it was disappointing.

The design and location are great, but I would not go back or recommend URBN to anyone else.

• Liked — bathroom design
  • Disliked — the service was horrible. no hospitality whatsoever.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank repeattraveler
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

The URBN in Shanghai was exactly what my husband and I needed after a grueling 3 days the bamboo forest, Yellow Mountain, and Suzhou. We spent two nights here in hopes of catching a glimpse of Shanghai on our whirlwind China trip. The staff was very helpful and arranged dinner reservations as well as hailed taxis for us. They spoke excellent English and were always willing to help at any time. The beds were perfect. Everything was very clean. The smell was fresh and nice. Our room was closest to the street but we didn't even hear the sounds of the Shanghai traffic. The elements of color and design inside this hotel are very pleasing. The only thing we did not like was the restaurant at the hotel. Though they served us an excellent western breakfast in our room, the dinner the night before was very mediocre. The preparations were fine but the specific food combinations did not please my palate. If we go to Shanghai again, we would stay at the URBN.

• Liked — The comfort, cleanliness, and service
  • Disliked — The restaurant
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

I've stayed in a thousand hotels, in 15 countries. I've never had a GM sit with me and my travel companion at breakfast twice to write out suggested place to visit and help us plan our travels.

I've never had a hotel staff walk with me to local restaurant and help me order dinner in a restaurant that has no english menu.

At truly unique experience. I will be shocked if i ever stay in a different hotel in Shanghai.

• Liked — Unique rooms, amazing GM and staff, great breakfast
  • Disliked — Although all rooms are Non-Smoking, people smoked in the rooftop bar area. But, this is shanghai.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

just came back from a weekend at the Urbn hotel, got in after midnight from a delayed flight, the hotel whether in the day time or at night is quite a little oasis from the hustle/bustle of Shanghai, the courtyard dining area, check in area & overall design of the public areas & rooms are really nice/hip

I liked my room's simple, stylish & spacious design (didn't bring a camera this time), for a studio room I wasn't expecting much but the room was was really spacious (felt around 800 sq ft) well designed & definitely green & hip at the same time

food was healthy & tasty, service was in general quite good

only 2 reasons not a 5 /5 rating
1) booked a 2 hour in room massage, they use an outside company, and the masseur was 1/2 an hour late
2) not the easiest place to get a cab, waited quite a bit on Sat (with myself & a hotel staff on each side of the street)
3) while a nice hotel for this price, this is not a luxurious hotel but nonetheless a nice hotel

this is the type of hotel I 'd come back to over & over again (I liked the location & know the area well, +I prefer smaller hotels with less rooms) and would recommend it to my friends, but for the rest of my friends/colleagues that are used to park hyatt type hotels this is not the hotel for them

still, I would come back, if for nothing else, their effort to be carbon neutral deserves kudos

• Liked — carbon neutral
  • Disliked — I like spotless bathrooms ... & it wasn't
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

It is a very simple story. This is a first rate hotel. It is the only hotel that I have stayed in, in Shanghai where they actually serve a good coffee, which has a great steak, where the rooms are homely (though very cool and hip) without being too homely, where the staff are not automated big-hotel drones, where the building has a feel of Shanghai before the big towers went up, which is in a truly great location (not too close / not too far away), where you are compelled to drink in the private bar or rent out the penthouse and roof garden to drink away the night.

It is without doubt a great place to stay, is striking and memorable.

• Liked — It is unique
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TWMB
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

What an amazing find, an oasis in the middle of busy bustling Shanghai, behind the impressive wooden gate is a hotel that is so inviting it could be your "home away from home". The ambience is ideal and starts the minute you walk behind the gates. You are greeted by friendly staff in the garden that oozes tranquility and is ideal for a meal or a relaxing drink. The rooms are spacious and offer all the modern conveniences, I especially liked the Ipod stand, not to mention the heavenly bath or the beds that feel you like you are sleeping in a cloud. It's heaven!

I would highly recommend this hotel not only for it's cutting edge design, excellent location and first class facilities but for it's concerns to the environment. It sure beats staying at one of those predictable, impersonal hotels!

VERY IMPRESSIVE.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family