“Is quiet worth so much money?”

URBN Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #42 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai
“Is quiet worth so much money?”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I understand that Shanghai is bustling and busy. I understand that people are looking for a quiet place where they feel a bit secluded. And in that sense the URBN Hotel delivers.

But really, is it worth the price? The rooms are nice and reasonable sized. Service is Western standards and everyone speaks very good English. The manager is especially accommodating.

Location-wise, the place is very central (JingAn). If you plan to work and spend the weekend in town, you cannot find much more central location in Puxi.

But on the other hand the food is totally overpriced, the lunch menu passable and the lack of decent bar kills the mood early at night.

I wish they managed to make their nice patio or terrace lively places. It would have countered the feel that too few guests have to pay for too quiet a hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Assistant G, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Frederic:

We greatly appreciate the time you have spent on providing us with very valuable feedback. During our current renovation closure, we have been working on creating new food and beverage menus that I hope you will enjoy after we reopen in January. Many other improvements will be made during this time that will still allow guests to enjoy the seclusion you mentioned, yet offer the hotel the opportunity to lend itself to a more lively atmosphere in the common areas.

Claire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I understand URBN is under new ownership now and my experience of their service has been lacking.
My last reservation was "cancelled due to renovations" one day before my departure. When you place a reservation anywhere 30 days in advance, they should know how to navigate things like this.
I received no apology or offer to make things right.
I will not be staying there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe M
Assistant G, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Joe:

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. I greatly apologize for the inconvenience caused by our closing. Originally we had planned to renovate the property without closing but then determined that the amount of work necessary to upgrade our rooms and bring in new features would disrupt our in-house guests. We felt it was in the best interest of our guests that we close for a short amount of time . I'm very sorry for the delay in our notifying you about our hotel. During our renovation, we will not only be improving our physical features, but our guest service as well. We will be holding intensive training sessions with our staff, so that - come 2014, our service standards are upgraded as well.

Again, I'm very sorry, and thank you for your feedback.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Was there for an event, would definitely recommend this place. Great hotel, nice people and very clean and in a good neighbourhood. If I a go back to Shanghai I would stay here for some more nights. The intercontinental breakfasts were nice as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Sebastian:

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our staff to be helpful!

I hope we can have you back with us again in the future.

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I spent an evening networking on the roof top terrace. It is an incredible location and we felt very well taken care of. Very recommendable! If you are looking for a nice, clean and professional place to stay in central Shanghai, then this will be perfect for you!

Dear CK:

We really appreciate your review! Thank you! I agree - I think our rooftop terrace is pretty incredible. To be up looking over old Jing'An lanehouses with newer skyscrapers ahead really does feel special.

I hope you will return again for another event soon, if not as a hotel guest!

Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have been there for an event and everything was organized perfectly. The location is super clean, modern and has super nice stuff. Will be there again soon in early 2014 and stay there a some nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Alexander:

Thank you very much for commenting on your experience with us. We very much look forward to having you as a hotel guest in the New Year!

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I visited for a conference and was thoroughly impressed with the design, service, and food at this hotel. A gem of a building tucked away in a quiet Shanghai street with an interior that easily makes jaws drop and a rooftop that does the same. I would have loved to stay the night.

Dear WM11:

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel design! I only wish you had been able to stay with us, as I think our rooms really solidify the fact that our design really is something special (but I'm not biased or anything...!).

Next time, please do think of us and stay with us. We'd love to have you!

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I attended an event with 80 people on the rooftop. The atmosphere was amazing and the view was supporting it even more! We had amazing food and the drinks where just as I like them. Really good place to mingle and get to know new people!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Benjamin:

Thank you so much for your comments! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed yourself on the rooftop. It is a really wonderful space to see a very special view of Shanghai!

I hope you will return to our hotel in the future!