“The service is shocking...”

URBN Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #31 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Auckland
“The service is shocking...”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at URBN for two nights last year on our way back, and it's a real surreal kinda feeling.

On one hand, you have this gorgeous boutique hotel, carefully detailed and decorated, the room, the garden, exquisite is no exaggeration.

But on the other hand, you can't help but feel like this place is run by a bunch of 18 year olds, who has no clue what a boutique hotel of this price bracket should be like. It's so ridiculous to the point that they (everybody) are purposely avoiding eye contact with their guests!! There is no greeting, no enthusiasm, nothing.

A word of advice to the owner: train your staff properly, or you wasting good money maintaining that gorgeous place. If you wonder what you lack, go into Puli hotel not far away, 5 star service there in every corner. What a pity...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Crystal:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I deeply apologize for the service you received.

Since 2012, when you visited, we have a largely different staff, with new policies and standards regarding training and hiring requirements in place.

I believe that, should you return to the URBN, you will find that our service and staff is more in line with the hotel decor and design you enjoyed so much during your last visit.

Claire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Great design and friendly staff. Relaxed and charming in a busy city.
Loved the rooms facing the courtyard ... great to open the curtains in the morning !
I like the location and will definitely come back !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Paul:

Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay! Please let Dolphin or I know if there is anything we can ever do for you in the future!

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for three nights, nice bedroom, and great terrace however service at the restaurant took forever, they even forgot to bring part of it. Good location although people at front desk with limited knowledge of the area and some barely speak english

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jaime G
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Jaime:

Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the URBN staff for the service you received during your stay. We have met with the Front Desk and Restaurant teams to improve our processes and ability to serve our guests. What you experienced is absolutely unacceptable, and I have been working with the department heads on how best train the staff and ensure that these types of experiences never happen again.

I will send you a separate email shortly.

Paris, France
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel has a great design and I love the Green touch. Lobby is nice.
Room has nice design (atrium room) but not practical with 2 stairs in the middle of the room.
Reception staff is very nice but if taxi is needed a rainy day, you can wait up to 2 hours to find one, which is very frustrating when you need to take a flight...

Downstairs restaurant is great, the food is very good and there is a lot of variety. Terrace is wonderful. Very nice to have a dinner with colleagues or friends. I had several dinners there, but service can be poor as waiters spend lot of time speaking together and not attending guests.
Also for breakfast I am disappointed by the service and could not even try it! 2 times I couldn't take my breakfast as I had to wait 10 minutes to get a coffee after ordering it, and even by ordering cereals and milk after, 10 more minutes later it was not served and I had to leave for an appointment.. and never had the breakfast..

So overall experience: nice product, but rooms are not very practical. I would need to see other categories to have a complete experience.. maybe next time if I come back. Also a bit expensive for the value (1500 CNY+ !)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeremy0782
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

I very much apologize for the pace of service you experienced in the restaurant. Besides training our staff on the floor and in the kitchen on ensuring all our guests receive their food in a timely manner, we have also recently introduced a semi-buffet for our breakfast that includes such items as fresh seasonal fruit, Greek and low-fat yogurt, cereals and granola, homemade jams, artisanal cheeses, and much more. We will still have made-to-order dishes as part of our breakfast menu.

Again, I apologize for the service you received, and I hope you will consider returning to our hotel to experience and see the improvements we have made.

Shanghai
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I wanted to love this place. When I checked in I thought what a Gem I've found in Shanghai hidden away on a leafy green lane just a few minutes walk from the metro. It was quiet and cozy and the design was beautiful. I have no problem with the property or amenities. My problem, my MAJOR problem was with the service.
I understand my issue may be one in 100 or a 1000, but a problem it still is and hasn't been resolved. The level of service here is so poor I have recently resolved after communication with this hotel NEVER to stay here again.
After coming back from dinner to the hotel around 9:30 pm there was a very large event being hosted at the Downstairs. It didn't seem like there was enough staff for crowd control because when I walked into the lobby there was no one manning the Front Desk.

Regardless of how busy the hotel is, there should ALWAYS ALWAYS! be someone at the Front Desk.

I wasn't happy that no one had thought to mention to guests there would be an event in the evening. I'm serious- I left the hotel around 3 pm, I didn't get a message until 9:30pm after getting into my room to see a slip of paper saying the restaurant was closed for the evening. Staff informed me the event would be over by 10

That's not even the most horrible part, the kicker really was when I stepped off the elevator right into front and center seats for the show: a couple brawling in the hall. I immediately called front desk to inform them, they said they knew and would tell them to be quiet. 10 minutes later they've moved into their room (next door) and the fight escalates. We could hear through the walls, glass shattering, furniture being broken and the two men screaming, grunting, and shouting obscenities. I called front desk. no answer. I call again. no answer. I call a total of 5 times. NO. ANSWER.

At 11 in the evening I go down and I said, isn't the event over at 10pm? Staff hurries to whisper to another staff and noticeably people begin leaving. I asked if the problem upstairs has been taken care of-they said they were still working on it. I said thank you and went back upstairs to attempt to sleep.

The next morning while checking out I tell front desk staff that I'd like them to have someone at the desk at all times. This should be standard. Another lady moves in and introduces herself as the FD Manager and says that because the staff had never had to deal with this type of scenario before, they ended up calling the police for the first time. I dont particularly CARE that you haven't dealt with something like this. What you should have is a standard procedure to deal with ALL types of scenarios. If your FD staff did not know what to do when two guests are beating each other up and disturbing other guests you might consider making some changes to your staff training curriculum.

Anyway manager managed to mullify me by giving me her card and telling me next time she'd give me a discount and a free upgrade. Thank you I said. When I tried to book a week later, she refers me to their sales agent who quotes me a price that was 50+ USD more expensive than current prices on websites like hotels.com and bookings.com and other travel sites. I responded that I was disappointed that they would give me a rate higher than what I could get. She responds by saying she would match the price I quoted.

Really?

There are so many other very VERY nice hotels that I would rather stay in that offer much more professional service than this.

When I received an email again saying they were sorry for my experience I responded with "I hope you now have a standard procedure in place to deal with any further mishaps" that was never responded to.

====
Can you imagine referring a friend to this hotel and having them encounter a situation like this? People write this off as "TIC-this is China" but it really isn't. This is a management problem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mags643
Dear Ms. Sheng:

I very much apologize for the experience you had with us in April. I have spoken to both our FD Manager and the rest of our department heads about your experience. What you went through - both during your stay and after - is completely unacceptable, and I will ensure this never happens again.

I will be contacting you shortly.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at URBN a couple nights to give our lovely friends a break from hosting us while on vacation - and I am so happy we did! We stayed in one of the enormous and luxurious suites which exceeded all of our expectations. My favorite part of the hotel was the courtyard which we spent countless hours eating, drinking, and relaxing in, while completely forgetting we were in the middle of the city! It was very tranquil but also had a hip vibe that we really enjoyed. Next time we come to Shanghai we will definitely be staying here again - and will absolutely be checking out that amazing rooftop bar! I hope everyone visiting or living in Shanghai has an opportunity to experience URBN.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hillary86
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Hillary:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We loved having you and Joe!

I hope that you two come back to China again very soon!

Shanghai
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I've had countless opportunities to enjoy URBN as a hotel guest, restaurant customer, event guest, and as the host of a small event. URBN is my husband's and my 'go-to' spot when we're seeking a unique, sexy, and artistic environment. Every experience we've had at URBN has exceeded our expectations.

Food: David Laris. You can count on free range meat and seasonal, organic produce. Creative (but not contrived) pairings. Amazing options for carnivores and vegetarians alike.

Hotel Rooms: They've achieved the art of comfortable minimalism. Not easy to do, but everything about the rooms makes you feel like you're in the home you wish you had. Ours even had a sunken living room which was great for sipping wine with a couple of friends before we went out to dinner.

Events: The service is what sets them apart. Sampson was a delight.

URBN is an experience.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view into the bamboo courtyard are nice. Also the sunken seating area is wonderful.