“Great place to stay”

URBN Boutique Shanghai
Ranked #32 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and really loved the hotel. It is a great place to stay, the staff are friendly, and the food is excellent. I also found the surrounding neighborhood to be a fantastic place to begin exploring the city.

• Stayed: June 2012

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I love staying here. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and lovely. There is a place to work, room to do pilates, and a soaking tub with a view. The staff is friendly and helpful. The outdoor dinning area is a great place to relax, read or people watch. You may occasionally spot a celebrity!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at URBN for about 5 days and have no complaints! The hotel was beautifully designed, clean and modern. The service was excellent!!! I only speak English and had no issues communicating with any of the friendly helpful staff whom were very accommodating. I came straight from a business trip to Japan and was very happy to find out the bed was actually comfortable and linens were nice! The free breakfast is also an added perk. The location was great also, being a tourist I was easily able to walk around to shops and or get a taxi right by hotel. I would definitely recommend URBN hotel for your next trip to Shanghai!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Emily:

I'm so happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us! We loved having you! Even though you were here for business, I'm glad you got the opportunity to see some of the sights as well. You made some great purchases!

Next time you come back, I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Best,
Claire

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have stayed here and recommend the hotel without reservation. The design and attention to detail are amazing. I saw another review and they called it an oasis and I could not agree more. It really does feel like you are stepping out of an urban metropolis into a quiet secluded garden. I will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have stayed in URBN twice so far and each time , I was very pleased with their service.
People are very friendly and everyone goes out of their way to make my stay comfortable.
The location of the hotel is excellent but very quiet.
I highly recommend this hotel if you travel to Shanghai.

grandma

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My work brings me to China twice a year, during which time I will call URBN hotel for at least 2 weeks continuously. It's easy to like a hotel after a few nights of stay, but it takes another level of hospitality to entice this wary long-term guest to return here year after year.

This is one of the most quiet hotels I've ever stayed in, and trust me, it's quiet. The walls, compared even to 5-star JW Marriott's, are much thicker (because this place was built with solid old bricks), making your neighbors' TV/shower/singing sounds completely inaudible. It also block out the sounds of cars and people, which is critical, because URBN is in the heart of Shanghai's Puxi downtown. It's just a stone away from the Jade Temple and one of the largest shopping malls in the city. The noise and sight of this bustling city will hit you the moment you step out of URBN's wooden gates, but inside it's truly an oasis.

There less than 30 rooms, which means the staff will get to know you quite well. During my stays here, they not only learnt my name, but also my breakfast preferences, my many DHL deliveries, my frequent train ticket purchases, and midnight calls from my office in LA. They took care of me not as a guest, but as family, with a genuine warmth that's quite rare in China.

The rooms, though not the most spacious, are very well-designed to give guests more storage space than most 5-star hotels. There are drawers and cabinets beneath the sofa, behind the headboard, everywhere you don't expect but come to appreciate once you discover them.

The food at Downstairs is lovely because it's not your standard routine hotel food, which often times lacks character and taste. Here the scrambled eggs are not uniform each morning, nor is the Greek yogurt, but that's exactly why they taste like a meal and not just fuel.

I had reservations writing this review because I fear if more people discover and enjoy URBN, then less chance for me to get my favorite Garden view rooms, but it's just hard to hold one's praises for such a loving and lovely place.

Room Tip: Garden view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Our family stayed at the URBN in the autumn of 2012. While there were some loose knobs here and there, and the floor was creaky in places, the room was awesome and you could really get a historical sense of being in China by the use of all the recycled materials from a variety of sources. It made the experience well worth it. The bed was extremely comfortable. The courtyard outside was awesome for dinners, and we enjoyed the breakfast and the sunlight that was streaming through as well. The internet was on and off, but I expected that...I have recommended this little oasis in the grimy city to many friends, and found that one of them already knew about it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
URBN_GM, General Manager at URBN Boutique Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Erik:

Thanks so much for your feedback! The staff and I are often struck by how amazing it is that we are able to work in such a historic, beautiful place, and I'm so pleased to hear that you felt similarly.

I am very sorry to hear you encountered issues with the WIFI. However, I'm happy to let you know that we're currently upgrading our internet services. Our WIFI will be moving at lightning speed!

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Nagoya isn't very far - I hope to see you and your family again very soon!

Best,