“Nobody speaks English but nice for a good price.”
Review of Ling Long Hotel

Ling Long Hotel
Ranked #35 of 799 Shanghai B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2011

If you want an inexpensive hotel (with breakfast) that's kind of nice, this should work for you. If you speak Chinese, all the better. Room 202 isn't great because the bathroom walls are makeshift in a second, living room area and don't go up to the ceiling. I saw three other rooms and they are fine...each for 400 rmb which was about $70 for two people. The real problem is that nobody speaks English and not one little bit. So, you can't ask how to get anywhere, or to call a taxi. The rooms come with adapters and hair dryers which was nice. There isn't wireless but the ethernet cable allowed me to have internet. Some of the rooms are super noisy because the hotel's on a noisy street. The breakfast is American or Chinese and if you want real coffee, you can go to the bakery 3 doors down to the left. I have to take issue with the people who called the place "charming." It's older. I can confirm the cold breakfast too.

Room Tip: Not 202. Ask for a room that doesn't open up onto the main street. Oh, no elevator to second fl...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank verycriticaltraveler

Reviewed May 3, 2011

Located at the main road, but could not hear much noise, si it was convenient. The hotel's location is good, close to public transport , many restaurants close by, some with a good variety of food.Convenient also if you need a taxi. The decor is personalised and mattress is very soft for comfortably sleeping. My room was very big with nice bedspreads and curtains.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank wwaters123
Reviewed January 18, 2011

er...it was a charming hotel because of the decor and fairly close to subway if you are used to walking. The room we reserved (family room for 4) was located at the 3rd floor, and we felt that it was not clean since we can see lots of hair on the carpet and there was one time that we think that they just straightened the bedsheets because our towels were still on the chair when we left the room and toiletries were not replaced. even though there were 4 of us, they only gave us 2 sets of toiletries and towels. we even have to ask them for that.
Like the others who reviewed this hotel, the staff were friendly and helpful but they need to improve on housekeeping.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank marts_8
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Quiet, good location, friendly hosts, ample room size. Enjoyed everything about our stay except that every day the breakfast was cold. My wife had Chinese and I had western, but both were not even remotely warm.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gilbertdl
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The hotel's location is good, close to public transport (10min walk) , many restaurants close by, some pretty good with a good variety of food. Located at the main road, but not much noise. Convenient if you need a taxi.
The mattress is very hard and I found it uncomfortably sleeping, although the room is very big with personalised decor.
We wouldn't recommend the breakfast. Both western and eastern tasted rather shocking. Good if you are short of time and your taste buds are numb.
The room was enormous and bathroom was good as well. The laundry was included in the price and that was great after spending few weeks in Europe.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kasia_44
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed with my two teenage girls at Ling Long for a week. Very charming hotel where everyone in the staff was helpful and friendly - despite language problems. I can recommend this to anyone looking for affordable and good accomodation!
Easy for taxi drivers to find. Fairly close to subway.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I made a reservation through travellerspoint for this hotel. When I arrived there were no rooms available and no record of my reservation. The woman at the welcome desk wasn't even going to help us find another place until I insisted (we arrived @ 2am and she was basically asking us to go out to the streets). It looked nice from the outside. We stayed instead at a Chinese hotel behind this one for cheaper and no breakfast. Close to Hongqiao airport (15min cab ride).

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple