“Pathetic service at the door for an Asian country”

Airlines Travel Hotel Shanghai Pudong Airport Branch
Ranked #2,453 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Wellington, New Zealand
“Pathetic service at the door for an Asian country”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

First shock came when I went to get in the shuttle provided by the hotel. The driver was mumbling and rude and watched me struggle with my bags. Once I got the shuttle, he finally put my bags in the shuttle - I was kind of expecting to do it myself. Arriving at the hotel was even bigger shock - the doorman stood there looking at me struggling and then opened the door for me and stood there holding the door for me to bring my own bags in. Reception staff was quick and efficient to check me in.

The hotel is really run down, shabby, the carpet is worn out and the carpet in my room had so many stains (seemed like water stains among others) that if I wasn't too tired from a long trip, I would have checked out and I was going to be there for few hours anyway!! All in all not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed October 29, 2013

First shock - check in. We booked Deluxe double room. Instead of that room reception provided standard twin room. I had to explain her the difference between single, twin and double beds. Finally we got deluxe room, but then we got second shock. Room was incredibly dirty. The carpet on the floor is not only covered with stains, it is full of hairs, and looks like nobody tried to clean it after several previous guests. Third shock' time came in the night. It was not possible to sleep due to departing aircrafts. It is not just noisy, everything shakes in the room every 10 - 15 minutes.
Breakfast deserves separate note. No water, no juice, no bread or butter. Dirty tables. Unfortunately, I could not take a photo of a waiter, who took half-eaten food from somebody's plate and put remains from it back to the common buffet table.
The only reason to stay at this slum can be 3 km to the Pudong airport and free shuttle. Otherwise - be careful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank anonym072
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

On arrival back in Shanghai we had 1 night booked at this hotel, I thought with the price they were charging we'd be staying somewhere reasonable and that we would have access to the following hotel facilities: Glass lift, free sweets at reception, infinity swimming pool, gym facilities, Jacuzzi and sauna and in the rooms I was expecting at the very minimum a medium sized George Foreman grill, Corby trouser press, and VHS video cassette player, how wrong a person could be!
It all started to go wrong in the 5 minute taxi journey from the airport to the hotel, the taxi driver had a right one on him and was complaining about something, maybe it was the time of month for him and he was experiencing the male version of the menopause (Manopause) or he was going through domestic issues at home (As most men experience with demanding partners) or he was complaining about the size of one of the suitcases which could have easily accommodated a NASA communications system used to monitor and navigate satellites orbiting the earth, nevertheless even with the hotel name and address in Chinese he couldn't find our hotel and dropped us at the wrong place, in tandem with this he even refused to get out of the cab to help with the suitcases, this leads me to believe he might have strained his lower back lifting the NASA comms system and the reason he was acting like a big girls blouse, thankfully a very kind man helped us out and found our hotel in less than 2 minutes, on this occasion I personally moved the NASA comms box to and from this man’s boot to save him from backache as he was not as athletic as me.
On check in at the hotel I was already experiencing a feeling of some sort of agitation and nervous tension which I occasionally get at work due to my workload, I don't think it had anything to do with the numerous Starbucks coffees I'd consumed the previous days (I can strongly recommend the iced caramel macchiato by the way)
Whilst we had 2 separate rooms booked the young lady on reception after taking both our passports thought we only had one room booked, this was soon resolved after my colleague gave the infamous 100 mile stare, the stare is enough to put fear into any man, woman or Chinese hotel receptionist and could burn a hole into lead lined walls from miles away, the last time I'd personally experienced the stare was when I forgot to bring milk into work on the day I was assigned too according the pre agreed Rota.
After this minor issue was resolved I went up to my room to relax for 33 minutes in preparation for dinner at 7.30, on entry to my room it was a step back in time, the decor was so bad I had to blink a few times to check where I was, the room furnishings were similar to what my parents had in Eastern Europe that had been passed down to them from three generations prior and had originally been purchased from a car boot sale (I'm slightly exaggerating for effect here)
I chose not to remove my footwear as I was concerned about getting my feet dirty from the carpets.
Once I regained my composure and my breathing pattern had returned to normal I moved further into the very small room, I now understand why there is limited and dim lighting in the room, and it was not to be shocked when I looked in the mirror at myself.
There is internet connection in the rooms but no wifi, the connection procedure is so complicated I did not bother to even get my laptop out, what made things worse was the fact it was stated in the war and peace internet access procedure that if you did log on to the web all sites you accessed would be monitored by the police, why the 70's rock band have an interest in what web sites people access in China I don't really know....
Once I'd got over this I proceeded dressed smartly to the restaurant to meet my colleague, on arrival at the empty restaurant a sense of dread was awash again, dimly lit, initially we were not sure if it was a restaurant or a boarding gate for a 45 minute internal flight in Somalia, nevertheless whilst still in a state of shock we asked for the menus from a badly dressed waiter, on viewing the menus and the impending 100 Mile stare from my colleague an executive decision was made in the blink of an eye to eat elsewhere, this in itself proved to be difficult, the concierge told us the cheapest taxi fare to the Ramada hotel which is less than a 5 minute drive was going to cost 50 RMB (£6) you might think I'm penny pinching but this is a 17 RMB fare at best, I'm not sure if the concierge was in on this little earner, nevertheless I had to agree.
To cut a long story short, the burger stack at the Ramada was very nice and filling, a slight miscalculation on my part as I was then to full for a desert, the taxi fare back to the hotel was what it should be, under 20 RMB.
Thankfully the 2 strong German beers I'd deliberately consumed at the Ramada helped me get some sleep on the hard bed and pillows, in dispersed with aircraft noise every 3 minutes and 45 seconds (The aircraft noise is not a complaint, we were near the airport)
The night before we had made another executive decision not to risk breakfast at the hotel and were more than happy to leave the hotel and sit at the airport for 5 hours, deep down I was craving a Starbucks coffee fix but I didn't want to let on to my colleague that I now have a Starbucks addiction along with a desire to go shopping and look at handbags, shoes and Ray-ban sunglasses.
As part of my routine, I exfoliate and moisturize to keep my youthful looks and take a shower on a Saturday, it was Saturday so it was shower day, normally the shower process can be done quickly but on this occasion it took considerably longer due to the nonexistent water pressure, I've generated more pressure through a McDonald's straw whilst experiencing an asthma attack.
The pain was almost over and the thought of a Starbucks and designer shops was now keeping me going.
We checked out, got on the transfer bus which has serious issues with its suspension, I actually thought I was on a trampoline at times.

Whilst this seems to be a very negative review I'd like the mention some of the positives: I got a Starbucks at the airport.

In a nutshell this hotel needs to be renamed the Shanghai Hotel for International Travelers’.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

It was all my fault... I didn't book early enough and therefore my preferred downtown was full and all my colleagues could find me was this hotel. It seemed OK and was right next to the airport with shuttle so seemed OK for one night. It was just that; OK for one night.

Reception staff were not interested in being helpful and refused to allow me to pay immediately so I did not have to queue the next morning which was very silly.

Room was clean but very tired with many stains. See interesting iron repair in my photo attached; this says all you need to know...TV had nothing international that I could find. Just as well I was tired and only needed to sleep.

Didn't bother with breakfast, just one look confirmed that better quality could be had at the airport.

Shuttle bus to airport is very helpful but uncomfortable since there appeared to be no suspension on the vehicle.

Overal an OK emergency stay but there are far better hotels available for the same price if you are more organised with your planning...

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty similar. Try to get a nonsmoking one if you can but difficult... so the rooms a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

+ Location, service provided, shuttle from and back to airport
- Restaurant not impressive compared to cost of food and beverages
= Not much to do. Trails exist so that you can walk through the field, under the TGV and subway tracks. Hotel shuttle bus can drop you at subway
Shuttle bus back and forth every 30 minutes, run by the hotel itself. Prices at restaurant a bit high, but convenience store nearby and small private cafeteria style installation provides fair alternative. Globally a nice hotel to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Guy F
Novo Hamburgo, RS
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I know that this hotel is to be a "one night" hotel, but could be better.
The reception is terrible and they dont speak English. Very very smelly room and toilet was stinky.
To be honest, the one who helped me with the English was the bellboy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business