“Basic 3 star in desolate area, bud cheap”

Shanghai Ever Sunshine Hotel
Ranked #583 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Amsterdam
“Basic 3 star in desolate area, bud cheap”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed in the Eversunshine in July for 3 nights. Basic rooms, size not bad, but further nothing special. Was our first time in Shanghai and we liked the city. Area of the hotel desolate. Because there was nothing going on in the hotel or area, we were forced to go every evening to puxi area. Sometimes very difficult to find a taxi, and impossible when it was raining. On our way back non of the drivers new how to find the hotel, took lots of time to get back to the hotel. Only positive thing, price very cheap for a hotel in a world city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BJames007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The rooms are spacious and comfortable but not soundproofed against noise.
The buffet breakfast is poor. The juice glasses are almost always dirty.
The staff is not kind. Some of them don’t speak English.
If you request a taxi they call a pirate taxi that it costs twice as much as a normal.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jartur
NYC
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I stayed in both the 2 BR and the 1 BR duplex suite here with my family. The rooms are spacious and ideal for a family because you're not all stuck in the same room together, 24/7. The pull-out bed was pretty comfortable, but don't be surprised if you're charged for extra sheets, blankets or pillowcases. In fact, when we first arrived at our 2 BR duplex, there were only 2 towels in our bathroom for 4 people total. We asked them to bring us more towels (among a few other bedding items), and the housekeeping staff refused, claiming that it is their policy that each suite only has 2 towels. When they also refused to give us pillowcases, we were pretty peeved, and my sister, whose husband was staying in a separate room on long-term corporate housing, threatened to tell his corporation how the hotel treated us. The hotel's attitude changed 180 after that--we were immediately given all the items we requested. Generally though, good service is not their forte, so if you don't go there expecting it (like many westerners do) then you'll be okay.

Some other negatives:
-there are various permanent stains on the old carpet. No smell though...except for the occasional cigarette smoke you'll smell coming in through the ventilation/heat system.
- I counted 5 small cockroaches, 1 centipede, and 1 grasshopper-like bug on my 10 day stay here (while my sister and her husband encountered none on their 1 month stay)
- the stairs leading up to the bedroom can be quite steep, which can be a problem for kids or elders
- you can hear traffic noise even on the 15th floor (but you get used to it)
- gym is closed unless you ask a staff person to open it for you
-a bit far from the subway, especially if you're traveling with anyone with ambulation issues. Taxi is inexpensive though, so we took that 90% of the time
- breakfast is mediocre and they have almost the same exact thing everyday

Now the positives:
- the rooms on the higher floors have good views of the city
- located near lots of massage places where you can get cheap and relaxing massages
- hot water is hot and relatively consistent, as long as you make sure the water heater is turned on to the appropriate temp! (for some reason, the water heater in one of the rooms we stayed in kept turning off on its own, resulting in occasional lukewarm/cold showers)
- some rooms have a washing machine on the balcony which will be good for longer stays...not sure if that costs extra or not
- housecleaning comes everyday and does their job

If you are a tourist here on vacation, I don't think this is the best hotel or area to stay in. We went to Puxi nearly everday, as there just isn't much to see or do in Pudong. The hotel concierge is not particularly helpful either about providing information to guide you in your stay; in fact, we've been told by one of their staff to "just look it up on the internet." Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank huajules
Suzhou
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Staff were surly and unhelpful. We checked out over an hour late and were told we would have to pay a fee. OK - we thought that was fair enough in the circumstances. But a few minutes later when we brought our bags downstairs, the reception staff had changed their mind. They informed us we were being charged a whole extra night - and even for the extra bed for the 2nd night! We were well and truly cheated. When I showed the reception staff my printed copy of the conditions of booking (which stated we should
have paid a late fee and received a refund for the balance paid, Hotel staff said this didn't apply to my Internet booking.

Given that the hotel was not prepared to honor its own booking terms and conditions when they were presented in writing, we were very
unhappy and will not recommend this hotel or ever return. Advice? Stay somewhere a
little more friendly!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MrPSuzhou
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2010

My wife and family have stayed in this hotel before. And it was because of that we decided to spend one night there whilst visiting the World Expo.

We called up to make a reservation and inquired about making sure the room had a sofa bed that we could use for the children to sleep in. Yes we where told and where quoted a rate fro the room.

We traveled up from the Hangzhou area the following day, checked in and then went out to visit the Expo. When we came back we went to put the children to bed, opened up the sofa bed, and lo and behold, no bedding. On calling up the front desk we where told that we would have to pay 150 RMB more to use the sofa bed (previous stay my wife did not have this issue). Anyway, the standard bartering commenced, and they or maybe we, finally relented and paid 50RMB for the pleasure of using a sofa bed that had previously cost us nothing - "World Expo Surcharge" was what we where told.

Anyway, we travel through Shanghai alot and will not be using this hotel again. There are certainly better hotels for cheaper prices that do not charge the surcharge.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank IainDM
Alberta
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stayed here for one night on my way home from a business trip. I stayed there because I wanted the opportunity to visit with a friend who is living there while on a long term assignment in Shanghai. It is tucked back from a main street, making it very quiet. And the concierge, front desk and housekeeping staff were all super. More English speaking staff at this hotel than I have encountered at any hotel in Shanghai, including some with 5 stars.

The rooms are two storey affairs, making it feel like a little townhouse. It has a full kitchen, complete with stove, microwave and fridge. It also has a pull-out sofa bed in the living room and small storage room under the stairs. There is a internet connection both upstairs and down. The living room had a flat screen TV, but the upstairs had an older model.

The rooms were VERY clean and did not have that musty smell so common in China.

The bathroom was tiny but nice. Just a shower; no tub - which is my preference anyway.

The bedroom had a Queen bed and it was more comfortable than many I have slept on in China. Nice closet, too..

A couple of quirks arose, but staff were very helpful in helping me. For instance, you have to turn the hot water on down in the kitchen. You have to turn a switch on to make the plug work in the bathroom; and the hairdryer is to be found in the dresser drawer in the bedroom.

In Shanghai, I prefer my hotel to be near a Subway station. In fact, I think that access to public transit should be one of the things listed on the features section for hotels on Trip Advisor. Cabs are not all that expensive in Shanghai, but I like using the Subway. I was told that it was a 10 minute walk to the Subway. Try 20 - 25 minutes. That would be more like it.

We took a taxi to Xintiandi for 20RMB and to the Science & Technology Museum for about the same.

Free internet - a rarity in Shanghai - and breakfast was included in my room rate. It was not the worst breakfast I have had in Shanghai. If you want a Western-style breakfast, do go down to the dining room. Otherwise, ask the concierge where you can find an inexpensive Chinese-style breakfast. I was travelling with a finicky co-worker, so we ate breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 14, 2010

My travel agency booked this hotel for me at RMB680/night, with extra internet cost RMB40/day. But when I checked in, they don't have reservation in my name! The staff didn't try to find it out, but kept asking me the name of the travel agency guy! How do I know? Spent 5 mins on the counter, they finally confirmed my booking with someone he talked in phone.... But they can't find my internet payment and request me to pay it when I check out... I double checked with my travel agency and he helped me to solve it... Real poor record they have!! During my stay, most of the concierge staff I met were not friendly nor willing to help. I think they will be more friendly if I speak English.

Room is modern and clean, though the living room is much smaller than I expected. The door lock is a card senser. There is a electronic water temperature setting at the kitchen. But, before u take shower, make sure the setting is on (it was turned off at midnight on the first night! strange...) Bed is comfortable. There are 50 TV channels, but only a few in English.

The stairs are wide enough for walking, I didn't feel dangerous when I walk on it. But it's quite trouble to walk up and down, so I mostly stayed in the bedroom during my stay.

Breakfast time ends at 9:30am on weekdays which is too early! So I didn't have breakfast there at all....

Sorry that I didn't use any facilities so I can't give any comment.

Location is nice! RMB23 taxi from LunYangLu Meglev station, RMB19 taxi to Pudong Exhibition Center. Very close to Puxi, only RMB35 to XinTianDi. But this hotel is not famous, and the entrance is hidden between 2 buildings, with a dark blue hotel name lighting in Chinese at the entrance only, so all the taxi drivers I met didn't know this place. Tell them, "PuDong Nan Lu (South Pudong Road 浦東南路) and Weifang Lu (濰坊路), on PuDong Nan Lu, opposite to the coffee shop, next to a sauna center. It's better to print out a very clear map to show the taxi driver.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business