“Not a 4 star at all”

Ranked #1,585 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Kalamazoo
“Not a 4 star at all”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

After 50+ trips to China, I have seen my share of China hotels. This Howard compares poorly. For the same money, you'll be able to book a much nicer hotel.

A few observations:

1. The hotel is an older one (read: more than 10 years in China is considered 'old'). And the hotel shows tired. Stains on the carpets; spots on the doors; barren decoration of the rooms).
2. In my room the heat did not work (November). And the shower only produced lukewarm water (4th floor).
3. The bed was very hard (your typical 'China style' mattress). Not comfortable at all. I have found much better in almost all other western style hotels in China.
4. TV set was the old CRT tube style. In almost all good hotels one will find LCD flat screens - another sign of the aging of this hotel.
5. Although they advertise a shuttle to Pudong airport - this is not available.
Breakfast buffet is nice.
6. In the US, this would rate as an older 2.5 star hotel.

Easy to reach from the Guanglan Road metro station. Take Exit 2, then turn right upon exting and cross the bridge. Hotel can be seen after almost having crossed the bridge. Keep walking straight at the traffic light and after a few hundred meters turn right (need to kind of walk around the hotel as the entrance is on the other side).

After 1 night, I will avoid this hotel whenever I can.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rlveld
Lei L, General Manager at Zhanxiang Yueting Apartment, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel Zhangjiang Shanghai and taking the time to complete the survey. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here due to proximity to our Shanghai office. Hotel was easy to locate not much to do in area around hotel so don't stay here if you have a long visit planned. Rooms were clean, staff friendly enough but not many speak English and those that do struggled a little with my british accent.
Breakfast was fairly decent and enough of a selection to satisfy all - have to request tea or coffee.
Used the hotel restaurant every night, menu was not extensive but food was nice, tricky ordering as all is in local language but photos helped :)
Not a bad stay really, I even had a jog/run around local area which was fun.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Lei L, General Manager at Zhanxiang Yueting Apartment, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was my first time in China so I don't have any other hotel experiences to compare but I thought the property was very nice by American standards. Ended up here comliments of Delta Airlines due to being rerouted from Beijing due to thunderstorms. The room was spacious, modern and clean. The glass wall between the bathtub and bed would be a problem if you need privacy but I was by myself. Breakfast buffet was adquate but as mentioned by others the service was spotty. The hotel is located inside a nice development - a lot of newer construction. Felt safe. It was about a 10 minute walk to the subway which connects to downtown and the airport.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DineOutOften10
Lei L, General Manager at Zhanxiang Yueting Apartment, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel Zhangjiang Shanghai. We will not stop to improve on our services and facilities. We look forward to serving you again in the hotel.
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Very clean hotel located half way between anywhere . Rooms are very nice . The restaurants food was only average at best . Room service was not friendly and the restaurant service was non exisitant .

I would not recommend nor will I come back

• Stayed August 2012
Beijing, China
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a fairly well run hotel, handsomely decorated but not particularly enjoyable. Maybe it was just us...

The restaurant offers a decent breakfast buffet, but the tables are crowded and awkwardly laid out. No whole wheat breads, and fresh fruit offered from a delicatessen-like chiller cabinet that looks great but, because of its glass sliding doors, is difficult to access.

The room was handsome; the bed very comfortable; the bathroom modern but a bit strange: the bath and shower are side-by-side in a partitioned area of the bathroom, so if you take a shower, you are right next to the bathtub. It works, but it is a peculiar.

Location is the real reason to stay here. If you are working in this area of Pudong, it will be convenient. If not, don't bother.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank garagestudio
Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel Zhangjiang Shanghai and taking the time to complete the survey. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed one night at the HoJo Shanghai the first week of June 2012 due to its nearness to a business that I was visiting. I arrived about 5 pm in the afternoon and was greeted promptly as I exited the cab; the young man carried my bags to the check-in desk. Check in was smooth and professional – the clerk highlighted the restaurants and lobby bar. I was escorted to my room by the bellman. As soon as we exited the elevator, there was an interesting smell of some cleaning product; it smelled a little like a cross between fresh bread and burning Styrofoam. Fortunately, it wasn’t perceptible in my room nextdoor (#410). Although I was only 2 rooms from the elevator, the noise was not an issue.
The room is a standard HoJo room, relatively clean and functional, not particularly elegant. There is a mini-bar fridge with assorted snacks and drinks. A kettle with an assortment of tea bags and Sanka is also offered. There were some beverage stains on some of the surfaces. There is a 26” CRT TV, a desk & chair and a chair & footstool. The king-size mattress was very firm without a lot of top padding.
All the necessary bath amenities were there: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothbrush/toothpaste, razor/shaving cream and a shower cap. Towels were a little thread worn, a couple had holes, and none we very plush. But they served their purpose. Shower water was warm enough, and temperature remained constant. The grout around the shower showed a little mildew.
After some unpacking and cleaning up, I went to the lobby for dinner. I opted for a Guinness (¥50) from the lobby bar, which was served with a bowl of peanuts. They also have an assortment of snacks and cocktails. After “dinner” I decided to just hang out in the room and watch a little TV. There are four or five English-speaking channels, including HBO. I drifted off to sleep on the stiff mattress (aided by Benedryl). At 3:14 a.m., the A/C started making a clicking noise; not periodic but random. Then the room started to warm up. After about 3½ hours of that, I got up to shower and start the day. When I finished showering, the temperature in the room was up to 26.5°C (about 80°F) and it was REALLY humid. The A/C was still making that clicking sound. I decided to go to breakfast, removing my keycard from the power-enable slot by the door.
Breakfast wasn’t bad. There were pre-made fried eggs, chicken and beef sausages, rice, an assortment of pastries and Asian foods. Fresh fruits were stored in a short refrigerator case under the decorative bread display. They also had Swiss muesli. I was nearly finished with my meal when I decided to get up and get coffee myself… I was stopped, and the young man finally poured a cup for me. I didn’t wait around for a second cup.
When I returned to the room and put the keycard in the slot by the door, the A/C began working again. It just needed a rest, I guess. I wish I had discovered that at 3:15 a.m!
I will probably stay here again, but only because it’s on my company’s approved hotel list. Cab fare was 100 Yuan from the hotel to Shanghai Pudong Airport (Terminal 2) at about 8:00 a.m. on Friday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Survey. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2012

For a hotel that is suppose to cater to business travellers I cant't figure out why they don't open their exercise room until 7am. Most business people are either at work or are getting ready for work. This is a major inconvenience and a reason for me not to return.

• Stayed May 2012