“Excellent for first-time visitors to Shanghai”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #44 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Our room was very comfortable with an excellent bed and very clean. Communication with the staff was somewhat complicated, as their knowledge of English are poor or absent, but with a lot of humour and good will we always succeeded in getting out point across.
The breakfast was very good. For your evening meals you have to get used to the fact, that they put everything you order on the table at once. The quality was, however, very good.
A lot of sights are in walking distance, like the Bund, Yuyuan Garden and Nanjing Road(the main shopping street).
A fascinating city, which we have enjoyed immensely.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Ruud M,

Welcome to our SSAW Hotel Shanghai Tripadvisor page.
Thank you for sharing your experience with all members and us.

I am glad to read you had a pleasant experience at our hotel and enjoyed your time in this fascinating city. We have the pleasure to welcome many foreign guests and thus are doing our utmost best to provide English service. At this moment all our front desk staffs are able to communicate with foreigners and we have our own English classes for all staff members within our hotel. Furthermore, I am working at the front desk and we have hired two students from the Netherlands who will be thrilled to assist our guest if any communication issue may occur.

Since I do understand the situation in the restaurant I would like to use this opportunity to explain you the Chinese etiquette in a better way. Chinese always share their dishes with each other and all dishes will be served at the same time. I truly hope this did not affect your dining experience at our restaurant. I will inform our restaurant manager to explain this to our international guests in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon. I can be reached at 'ssawsh@outlook.com' if you require any further assistance.

Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed for five days at SSAW Shanghai, and we liked the hotel. The Yuyuan Garden metro station is a 5-minute walk, and it's not too far to the Bund if it's not raining. From Pudong Airport, we took the Maglev to Longyang Road station (18RMB), where we took line 2 to East Nanjing and changed to line 10 to Yuyuan metro - take exit 4 to Renmin Road, where the hotel is located.

We had a very spacious room: a king bed, a sitting area, a free mini bar that was stocked with non-alcoholic drinks and a separate bath tub and rain shower; it felt luxurious. Since we weren't facing the street, the room was fairly quiet, but I could still hear the bustle below especially in the morning. We didn't have any problems with housekeeping, and toiletries and the minibar were diligently replenished.

Aside from the check-in and a recommendation for a tour company, we didn't have much interaction with the reception. We also requested a late check-out and were accommodated. The staff spoke enough English to help us with our requests.

The breakfast, which was part of our rate, was varied, fresh and filling. There is a combination of western and Asian food, which suited me fine because I like eating lots of vegetables, even in the morning. However, just like any hotel or resort breakfast, the choices are predictable after a few days' stay. The cafe also serves dinner, where we ate a couple of times. The food was just okay, considering that there are many good local restaurants in Shanghai.

We liked many things about the hotel. One thing that really bothered me was the smell of smoke in the hallways. We had a non-smoking room, but the corridors smelled of smoke.

On the whole, SSAW Shanghai provides good value and we will stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

1  Thank My_Aunt

Dear valued guest,

Firstly, thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us regarding your recent stay at SSAW Hotel Shanghai. I hope you and your husband had a pleasant flight back to Canada.

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff at both housekeeping and front desk could assist you with all inquiries. We enjoy welcoming travelers from around the world not only to our lovely hotel but to our great city of Shanghai. I truly hope that the rain did not influenced your experience.
Furthermore, I will take your comment regarding the cigarette smell in the corridors on board during our next meeting. As hotel, we are always willing to improve our product and services and we can achieve this by listening to our valued guests.

Once again, thank you very much and we do hope to welcome you back soon.
I can be reached at 'ssawsh@outlook.com if you may have any further question, I will be pleased to assist you by e-mail.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed in a king size room and it was amazing. Very spacious with lots of facilities and great, modern bathroom. Definitely one of our best choices... Breakfast was very nice with variation of food. Staff polite and helpful. Good location, close to the metro.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor.com.
We appreciate your time and efforts to give us your opinion regarding your most recent stay with us.

I am of course glad to read you enjoyed your stay at SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
We all hope to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly as it would be my pleasure to assist you with any future bookings, further questions or inquiries.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the SSAW hotel. First the good…I like to make my reservations directly with the hotel when possible. It cuts down on the possibility of having some of the issues that happen when third party vendors are involved. I tried to make a reservation through the hotel’s on line reservations system and had a problem. At the time it wasn’t set up for non-Chinese phone numbers. I emailed Niels Taal, the Guest Service Manager, who responds to Trip Advisor comments. He was very helpful on getting my reservation set up and making sure that things were all set. One note, I really like to see responses from hotel folks responding to comments. To me it shows that they at least listen to their customers.

The hotel was very nice and well kept. The public areas were beautifully decorated and laid out. The room was very comfortable and had all the necessities. Free water and drinks from the mini bar was a very nice bonus. The hotel is perfectly positioned. It is an easy walk to the Bund, Yuan Garden, and there is a Metro Station within a 3 minutes’ walk.

The breakfast was good with a wide variety of foods available in the buffet. There was an issue with the food not being hot, or even warm in some cases. Helpful hint on the hot dishes, dig to the bottom of the serving tray to get warmer food. They have an egg and omelet chef that seemed to be very popular.

Now the not so good…I did have a few issues, one was being put in a smoking room on arrival and another was a cleaning issue. Both were fixed right away when I let the hotel know, but it did take away from the experience. The biggest issue by far was the noise. Shanghai is a VERY noisy city. The cars, cabs, and busses honk constantly…even at 3 am. My room faced the street…on the 10th floor…and it was extremely loud. I always travel with ear plugs, but even so it was loud enough to be unpleasant. There was also a fair amount of room to room noise and noise from the hallway as well.

Another issue was that some of the front desk staff have limited English capability, and so it made some things like trying to arrange a wakeup call an issue. It took several tries to communicate when I asked for a 5:15 am wakeup call and then I got a knock on my door at 5:30 am instead. When I checked in, I was given minimal information and then had to ask about things like breakfast. Not a big deal…their English is MUCH better than my Chinese, but something to be aware of.

I would definitely stay at SSAW again…but I would definitely ask for a room away from the street.

Note: It was a 190 RMB from the hotel to the airport terminal 2 via taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank acdfpic
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear valued guest,

Please allow me to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
We are always willing to learn from guest' experiences in order to improve our product and services.

SSAW Boutique Hotel is part of the local Zhejiang Narada Group, a well-known brand in China with more than 30 luxury hotels accross the country. In the past years, our group opened 11 SSAW hotels in 6 cities, which offers the same luxury in boutique style.
When making your booking a while ago, there was still no English website available. If you would like to return to our hotel next time, I invite you to check our brand new English website.

I am however saddened to read about some issues during your stay and would like inform you that all rooms on the 10th floor are non-smoking rooms. The reason might be the guest who stayed in the same room before you but the lesson we have learned from this, is to make sure there is no cigarette smell in non-smoking rooms.Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. In addition, the missed wake-up call is a mistake on our side and we should have called you instead of knocking on your door. I do hope this did not bothered your day as I do understand it might be uncomfortable to be woken up by someone who is knocking on your door in the early morning. Please be informed we also hired two foreign students who are working at the front desk and restaurant.

Once again, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future. I can be reached at ssawsh@outlook.com if you would like to discuss one of the points mentioned above by e-mail.

All the best,

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed one night right after Chinese New Year and enjoyed our stay. The location is great - easy to walk to God's Temple, the Bund, and Nanjing East Rd shopping area. It is close the metro station. Taxi to/from Pudong airport is about 170-180 RMB. Room size is decent and clean with all the amenities - slippers, bath rope, safe, and toiletries. Bed is very comfortable. Staff were polite and professional. For the rate we paid, it was an excellent value. Our late check-out request at 2 pm was accommodated because of our late afternoon flight. Our rate didn't include breakfast but we did try the buffet for about USD$10. It has decent selection with eastern and western styles. There was an omelette and noodle section which one could order to his liking.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay with great value. We will stay again if we return to Shanghai.

2  Thank nykp

Dear Nypk,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that your SSAW experience was pleasant and that you enjoyed our convenient midtown location, intercontinental breakfast. room amenities and our staff' performence.

Since many of our guests have late evening flights, we are doing our utmost best to offer complimentary late check-out till 2PM, as it depends on our occupancy. I am thus glad to read you could stay in the room a bit longer for your late afternoon flight. We all hope to welcome you back in the near future again. If so, please let me know directly in order to assist you further by e-mail.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

A charming hotel with really good deals available on budget web sites. Room size not great. Central location, great terrace cafe and city views from some rooms. Good linen and soft beds - a rarity in China. Friendly staff speak passable english. We were very satisfied with the deal we got and will rcommend the hotel to friends. We might even go back the next time we visit Shanghai.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Gerhard G,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
In name of the entire team, I would like to thank you for your kind words on TripAdvisor.

Like all comments, I will forward yours to all departments within our hotel.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail if you would like to make a reservation again, I will be pleased to assist you further. I can be reached at 'ssawsh@outlook.com'.
Once again, thank you very much and we all hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We booked this hotel through booking.com for US$ 205 + taxes for 3 nights (excluding breakfast). The taxi ride from Pudong Airport to the hotel was CNY 180 and took a little over 35 minutes.
The location is great, a few blocks to Yuyuan Metro Station and Yuyuan Garden with its fun little shops, eateries and chinese architecture. We enjoyed the modern oriental decore very much, which made the place very cosy. We had a very clean standard room (1703) on the 17th floor with a nice view of the city. The room was small, but had everything one could ask for: a great comfortable bed, free mini bar with non-alcoholic beverages and cookies, which was refilled on a daily basis, free high speed internet which worked fine, coffee machine, safe box, hair dryer, bathrobes and slippers. The oriental and western breakfast buffet served in a beautiful "zen" environment was nice, but not the best I've had. The chinese staff seamed to be trying hard to understand our requests, but there was a caucasian manager on sight to help out. Be aware, that they charge a US$ 500 deposit fee upon arrival and they charge fees to book shows and tickets. They have a gym on the 2nd floor, but i didn't have a chance to see it. Otherwise, i would highly recommend this hotel for those that value quality, comfort, cleanliness and location, but don't want to spend tons on snobbish 5* hotels.

The room

Room Tip: Room 1703 was a standard room located on the top fllor with a view of Ren Min Road. We could hear so...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear PatySalto,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Tripadvisor.com.
As hotel, we are always open for feedback as this is the best way to improve our hotel and services. I am thus glad to read you enjoyed your three night stay with us.

Since I do understand your feedback regarding our restaurant staff's English skills, I would like to use this opportunity to inform you and our future guests that we have hired two Dutch students for the upcoming seven months. Every day, one of us will be thrilled to assist our valued guests at the front desk or restaurant. I hope this issue did not affect your stay and we are doing our utmost best to provide excellent service to all our Chinese and foreign guests. As I could see in your review, you did not like our intercontinental breakfast. I would be more than happy to receive more detailed information. Please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail.

In addition, as you kindly noted, we do require a refundable deposit upon check-in.
The amount varies as it depends on your booking method. If you already paid for the full amount during the booking process, we still require a RMB200 per night. If you pay your room upon check-out, this amount is different. In case of any questions, you can always send me an e-mail and I will be more than happy to provide you further details.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to provide us your review.
We all hope to welcome you back to SSAW Hotel Shanghai in the near future.