“Would recommend and will return”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #50 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
nykp
“Would recommend and will return”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed one night right after Chinese New Year and enjoyed our stay. The location is great - easy to walk to God's Temple, the Bund, and Nanjing East Rd shopping area. It is close the metro station. Taxi to/from Pudong airport is about 170-180 RMB. Room size is decent and clean with all the amenities - slippers, bath rope, safe, and toiletries. Bed is very comfortable. Staff were polite and professional. For the rate we paid, it was an excellent value. Our late check-out request at 2 pm was accommodated because of our late afternoon flight. Our rate didn't include breakfast but we did try the buffet for about USD$10. It has decent selection with eastern and western styles. There was an omelette and noodle section which one could order to his liking.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay with great value. We will stay again if we return to Shanghai.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nykp
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Nypk,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that your SSAW experience was pleasant and that you enjoyed our convenient midtown location, intercontinental breakfast. room amenities and our staff' performence.

Since many of our guests have late evening flights, we are doing our utmost best to offer complimentary late check-out till 2PM, as it depends on our occupancy. I am thus glad to read you could stay in the room a bit longer for your late afternoon flight. We all hope to welcome you back in the near future again. If so, please let me know directly in order to assist you further by e-mail.

ssawsh@outlook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

A charming hotel with really good deals available on budget web sites. Room size not great. Central location, great terrace cafe and city views from some rooms. Good linen and soft beds - a rarity in China. Friendly staff speak passable english. We were very satisfied with the deal we got and will rcommend the hotel to friends. We might even go back the next time we visit Shanghai.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Gerhard G,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
In name of the entire team, I would like to thank you for your kind words on TripAdvisor.

Like all comments, I will forward yours to all departments within our hotel.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly by e-mail if you would like to make a reservation again, I will be pleased to assist you further. I can be reached at 'ssawsh@outlook.com'.
Once again, thank you very much and we all hope to welcome you back soon.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We booked this hotel through booking.com for US$ 205 + taxes for 3 nights (excluding breakfast). The taxi ride from Pudong Airport to the hotel was CNY 180 and took a little over 35 minutes.
The location is great, a few blocks to Yuyuan Metro Station and Yuyuan Garden with its fun little shops, eateries and chinese architecture. We enjoyed the modern oriental decore very much, which made the place very cosy. We had a very clean standard room (1703) on the 17th floor with a nice view of the city. The room was small, but had everything one could ask for: a great comfortable bed, free mini bar with non-alcoholic beverages and cookies, which was refilled on a daily basis, free high speed internet which worked fine, coffee machine, safe box, hair dryer, bathrobes and slippers. The oriental and western breakfast buffet served in a beautiful "zen" environment was nice, but not the best I've had. The chinese staff seamed to be trying hard to understand our requests, but there was a caucasian manager on sight to help out. Be aware, that they charge a US$ 500 deposit fee upon arrival and they charge fees to book shows and tickets. They have a gym on the 2nd floor, but i didn't have a chance to see it. Otherwise, i would highly recommend this hotel for those that value quality, comfort, cleanliness and location, but don't want to spend tons on snobbish 5* hotels.

The room

Room Tip: Room 1703 was a standard room located on the top fllor with a view of Ren Min Road. We could hear so...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear PatySalto,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Tripadvisor.com.
As hotel, we are always open for feedback as this is the best way to improve our hotel and services. I am thus glad to read you enjoyed your three night stay with us.

Since I do understand your feedback regarding our restaurant staff's English skills, I would like to use this opportunity to inform you and our future guests that we have hired two Dutch students for the upcoming seven months. Every day, one of us will be thrilled to assist our valued guests at the front desk or restaurant. I hope this issue did not affect your stay and we are doing our utmost best to provide excellent service to all our Chinese and foreign guests. As I could see in your review, you did not like our intercontinental breakfast. I would be more than happy to receive more detailed information. Please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail.

In addition, as you kindly noted, we do require a refundable deposit upon check-in.
The amount varies as it depends on your booking method. If you already paid for the full amount during the booking process, we still require a RMB200 per night. If you pay your room upon check-out, this amount is different. In case of any questions, you can always send me an e-mail and I will be more than happy to provide you further details.

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to provide us your review.
We all hope to welcome you back to SSAW Hotel Shanghai in the near future.

Shenzhen, China
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I went to Shanghai with my family during this chinese new year and at the time of booking the hotel, I thought its time we try a local chinese chain of hotels, so i booked this SSAW hotel in a Executive City View Room. Firstly, when we arrived at the hotel with my wife and 4 month old baby, we had to wait for someone to open the door, put our luggage on the trolley, to take it inside the hotel. The hotels entrance looked desolate. When we went to the room, there was no bath tub as described in the picture, so i spoke with them to clarify. Then they changed our room to another one on 3rd floor. Furthermore, all was okay until we decided to sleep. Firstly, the room was stuffy with no ventilation, we tried to switch on the AC as it was getting hot inside the room. When we turned on the AC, there was only hot air blowing out of vents, when i called the reception they said "sir, we have no cold air". This was at 3 AM in the morning, then i went downstairs and asked them to help us, to which I was told you have to manage with hot air and if you feel so hot, why dont you open the window! So, i could hear all the trucks, taxis and cars passing by....imagine that!! I was shocked and frankly with a small baby and a day trip to hangzhou the next day, i was facing my worst nightmare... a trip gone wrong. At 5:30 AM, I booked the Le meridian and moved there at 7 AM. Initially i had 3 nights planned in SSAW, which was cut short to 1 day.. in all very bad and impolite staff and totally below standard in terms of accommodation. STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Room Tip: Rooms dont have cooling Aircon during winters (so they will ask you to open windows if it gets stuff...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Pulak J
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Pulak J,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
We take pride in being the home away from home for many types of travelers.
unfortunately I was not able to meet you during your short stay at SSAW Hotel Shanghai.

I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us and left our hotel after the first night.
Shanghai is a vibrant city and since our hotel is in the very heart of the city, you are correct, there is noise when opening the window. We run very high occupancy so our hotel is filled nearly every night and do our best to assign the best room for our valued guests. The 'Executive City View Room' has two different lay-outs and are equipped with a circular bath tub or shower, shown in the descriptions on our booking partners websites. To avoid this in the future, I will contact Ctrip to change their description to make it more clear for future travelers. Once again, please accept my apologies for what happened during your stay.

Furthermore, I will forward your comments regarding our service standard and rooms to all relevant departments. Should you or any future guest have questions on what room type would best meet your needs it would be my pleasure to help. I can be reached ssawsh@outlook.com.

All the best,
istanbul
Reviewed January 31, 2014

hotel is close to shooping streets and nightlife district of xintiandi street. you can reach these places in 10 mins by walk. metro station is 1 min away. rooms are nice and big enough. I saw so many foreign couples and business people at hotel. pricewise is one of the best in that area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chemist55,

Welcome to our Tripadvisor.com page.
Thank you for taking the time to share your SSAW experience with us.

We have the pleasure to welcome many Chinese and foreign guests to our hotel every day, each with different expectations. I am thus deligthed to read you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We all do our utmost best to offer each guest the highest level of service that every guest deserves.

Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may take care of your arrangements when returning to our hotel next time.

Selangor
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed 5 nights at this hotel. We arrived at the mid night. Front desk proceed checked in were prompt. It's take 5 min to the station and about 10 min to Yuyuan. You can get a taxi outside the hotel and it cost about RMB230~250 to the Pudong Airport. Breakfast was basic and restaurant clean and cozy. Room service were efficient fast and delicious. Hotel room provided bottle drinking water, coffee bar. Snack and drinks in the refrigerator are free of charge. Next to the hotel, there have a mini mart and the wine are quite good and reasonable price too :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Yngamie,

Thank you very much for your kind comment regarding your most recent stay.
I do hope you had a pleasant flight back to Malaysia.

To start, I am delighted to read your check-in was efficient at mid-night.
Besides our free Italian coffee and other beverages in the lobby, there are many other options around our hotel. We all will be thrilled to offer you our recommendations during your next visit.

Please kindly note that the maximum fare to Pudong Airport is RMB200 from our hotel. During rush hours it takes about one hour and we are always able to call or hail a taxi at any time. In case you will return to Shanghai soon, I suggest to always accept the taxi receipt to avoid overprized taxi rides.

If you would like to come back to Shanghai and stay at SSAW again, I can be reached at ssawsh@outlook.com for further assistance.

South australia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed 4 nights and had a fabulous room with amazing views, very close to the Bund and also to the train station (5 min) walk to line 10 Yuyuan. We ate in the restaurant and the food was delish. The Breakfast AREA is very pretty and a great selection. The staff were very accommodating and the hotel is very clean, good value for money

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nassarij,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
We appreciate your valued time to share your thoughts with us on Tripadvisor.com.

We are glad to read you enjoyed your 4-night stay and found our location convenient.
During our next meeting I will surely forward your positive comments to all relevant departments. I am sure they will all be delighted to receive your kind feedback.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for further assistance, I will be pleased to assist you by e-mail.