“Would have given 4 or 5 star if not for the poor attitude from reception.”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #48 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Location is not fantastic but its walkable to 2 diff metro stations - yuyuan & dashijie. Would have given cleanliness a 5 but found a long strand of hair that doesnt belong to me in the towel one day. Room is huge and new and pretty and is pretty good value at less than 500yuan/night.

Here comes the problem though. On our first night, we had difficulty logging into the WIFI. I called the reception. Less than 30secs into the conversation, she starting giving me the impatient "tsk" after every sentence. Still I remained polite and the moment I got the correct password and successfully log in (less than 2mins on the phone), the lady recep slammed down the phone on me.

I know Shanghainese are known to be an impatient lot. But this is no attitude to take on as a hospitality staff. This definitely left a bad taste in my mouth and mar the rest of my 4 nights stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank ashlynlovestotravel
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Ashleyn,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your disappointment with our service during your stay and will forward your feedback to all relevant departments within our hotel since we do strive to improve our product and services. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

There are newer reviews for SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund

Reviewed December 28, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. We stayed from 22 Dec to 27 Dec 2013. The hotel amenities were all in order and clean. However, not everything was perfect.

a. One of the hotel staff told me on Christmas day that I should not keep the room card with them whenever we leave the hotel. It is ridiculous to expect your guest to leave the hotel with the room key and then to risk the possibility of a lost card. Such service should be basic and essential for guest of any hotel unless you are paying $10/night for the room.

b. Another thing to note. At the hotel entrance, there will be taxi waiting for guests who need to travel to the airport. Great service. But the hotel staff passed them a card with details stating that it costs within 200RMB to reach Pudong Intl Airport. Instead of taking the shortest route with no traffic suggested by both GoogleMap and Baidu which will cost about estimated 150RMB, the taxi driver went Northwards and then via expressway which will eventually hit 200RMB. (FYI it only cost about 150+ RMB from Pudong Intl Airport to the hotel.) We were puzzled by the route he took (going north instead of south to the airport). Thus, we questioned him which resulted to him showing us that particular card and insisting that his taxi belongs to SSAW Hotel and not those normal taxi (which i doubt so as there is no SSAW logo on it). This is very disappointing as it seems as if the hotel was colluding or helping the taxi driver to con tourists (about 50RMB extra and the possibility of a missed flight due to longer time to reach the airport). We tussled and managed to only pay 170RMB for a bloody long journey to the airport (1hr 10min instead of 40min). During the argument, the taxi driver actually promised to only charge us 150RMB but in the end when we alighted the taxi, he charged us 170RMB (in fact, it was 167RMB as shown on meter). We did not want to argue with him any further and went ahead to catch our flight.

Suggestion is to check the route to airport via Google Map or Baidu Map first. Do not let the taxi driver con you when he says it is faster as he is taking the expressway (which you will need to pay a toll fee), but we managed to bargain for a waiver from the taxi driver).

Last but not least, I totally enjoyed my stay at SSAW due to the convenient location and condition of the hotel. However, do take precaution on the taxis outside the hotel. Wish everyone have a pleasant stay in Shanghai!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kokyee_sg

Dear Koyee_sg,

In name of the entire team at SSAW Hotel Shanghai, I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read you enjoyed our hotel amenities and cleanliness.

At our hotel it is always possible to leave your room key at the front desk when leaving our property. During our next meeting I will definitely forward and discuss this issue with our team to avoid this in the future. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Some taxi drivers in Shanghai will try to charge more money than necessary to Pudong Int' airport. We thus warn our guests, using the sign in the hotel lobby and by business cards, given to guests upon check-in, to not pay more than RMB200. I am very sorry to hear it took a long time to get to the airport and I will surely investigate your story. Our hotel only offers transportation services to the airport which can be booked in advance for a different fare.
If you would like to discuss this further by e-mail with more details, such as the receipt number etc. , please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Everything is excellent in this hotel. Spacious Room beautifully decorated, excellent location just a few minutes away from tourist attractions and metro, helpful and friendly staff, affordable price with great breakfast. I even got a free upgrade though the room type that i had booked was still available. I was very satisfied with my stay and i will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Wongjase,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
I am satisfied to read your kind words on our TripAdvisor page.
As hotel, we strive to offer the best service to our valued guests.
You can always send me an e-mail when visiting Shanghai again.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Saww shanghai
I stayed here for 7 nights in October 2013 during a conference trip to the city. I found the hotel quite enjoyable.
I had a room on the 13th floor with a view towards the street. The view is nice but nothing too special; it overlooks a block of low old houses, allowing you to peak onto baconies and into alleys, but inevitably for Shanghai ends up at some highrises. The room's interior was pretty stndard for a hotelof this price category. The large bed was somewhat too soft for my taste, and I am not normally into very hard matrasses. The large TV had the normal bunch of stations withlimited non-chinese offers. There was a minibar with softdrinks and cookies that was free of charge (or rather, already included in the room charge) and was refilled daily. For other thkns, incuding alcoholic drinks, the room service had to be consulted. The bathroom was spacious and had a large shower with two heads. It was pretty clean and did not have the smell coming from drainga pipes you find in cheaper hotels across China.
Breakfast is not included and cost something close to 10USD and so was off limits for me as I prefer to get a cheap noodle stall breakfast when in China. Breakfast was served in the restarant on the 4th (I think) floor. It seemed clean and compfy, maybe a bit too dark. Adjacent to the restaurant is the outside bar. It also is somewhat pricy but offers some nice enough view all the way to Pudong's skyline. The view cannot compete with some you get from venues closer to the river but since yur in the hotel anyways... the bar closes at 10pm though, which seems unreasonably early.
Service and staff are also pretty standard. Most employees speak some good enough english and there is apparently at least one foreign (western) person at the desk occasionally. I had to put down the payment plus an extra amount when I arrived and sine my credid card has a weekly limit had to put down basically all the cash I had with me. An offer to suspend this till the next day would have been welcome but probably cannot be expected.
The location is covenient enough with about 5 min walking distance to Yuyuan Garden Metro Station and another 5 min to the garden and temple itself. There are few eating oportunities just outside though and for a restaurant or foodstall you'll have to walk a bit. Ther's a quick shop just 20m from the entrance, but where in China is that not the case?!
Overall I would recommend the hotel for its relative afordability in this category. But if you are looking for truely excellent location shop around.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear David_at_large,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you very much for your extended feedback regarding your most recent stay.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your room on the 13th floor, overlooking Shanghai.
Please let me know if you will return to our hotel in the near future in order to assist you to book a room with skyline views for an unforgettable experience. In addition, please note that it depends on your booking if the breakfast is included. If you would like to discuss this issue further, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-mail.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback and we hope to meet you again.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We have book here for 3 nights From Dec. 10-13, 2013 to attend Automechanika. we stay in a ssaw room with breakfast.
the room was very nice, clean and big, and also the contents in the mini bar are free of charge. The front desk staff are very customer friendly, locations are very accessible. The only things that I don't like is there breakfast, the food is not that good. But still we will come back and stay here.

Room Tip: maybe choose a higher floors to avoid the noise outside.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rosie O,

Welcome to our SSAW Hotel TripAdvisor page.
I do hope you had a pleasant flight back to Manila.

Your feedback regarding our breakfast is important in order to improve our product and services for our valued guests. Feel free to contact me by e-mail to discuss this further.
I do hope to welcome you back soon in Shanghai.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Decided to book this hotel for 4 nights for a trip with my mum. We got there at around 1am and check-in was really smooth and quick. Please note that a 200yuan/night deposit is to be made upon check-in. The staff speaks acceptable English. Niels, who is most famous here on tripadvisor is of great help. First room on the 8th floor's bathroom had this icky smell so we asked to be moved. The room on the 6th was way better and didnt stink at all. What's really good about this hotel is its proximity to the yuyuan garden train station. There's also a convenience store a few meters away. Food is cheap too! And the restaurant/bar on the 4th is simple and basic yet has a good view. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2013
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Maria R,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on TripAdvisor.
I am satisfied to read our staff solved the problem with your first room quickly so you could enjoy your valued time in Shanghai. Regarding the deposit upon check-in, I would like to thank you for sharing this useful information with future travelers. To avoid confusion, kindly note that this RMB200 is only required when the guest already paid the whole room charge during the booking process. When you pay the room charge upon check-out, another amount for deposit is required and depends on the booking order.

It was a pleasure to read about your SSAW experience and we do hope to welcome you back soon. Please contact me directly by e-mail if I could assist you with anything further.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 9, 2013

we stayed at SSAW Shanghai recent trip dec.4-6.2013 and we were awed with the rooms,amenities, bathrooms,location,price,food..the hotel was really great.thank you. we plan to stay longer on our next trip to shanghai and well definitely stay on this hotel!no -qualms hotel.

tricia.cebu,philippines

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tricia D,

Thank you for your comment on our TripAdvisor page.
I do hope you had a pleasant flight back to the Philippines.
When reading your comment I feel glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Feel free to contact me directly by e-mail when staying in Shanghai again.
Like you said, I do hope you are be able to stay at SSAW Hotel a little longer next time.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and efforts to give us your feedback.