“Great hotel with stink bathroom”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #45 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stay four nights at this hotel. This is the best hotel that I have ever stayed during my past several trips to Shanghai. The hotel is in great location and close to all major attractions. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Subway is couple block away. Great breakfast. Friendly services and all staff speak very fluent English.. Comfortable room with hugh bath. This hotel has an unique feature, which is quest hotline. If you need lotion, soap, etc., all you need to do is to dial customer hotline and the things you need will deliver into your room in few minutes. This is a well managed hotel.

The only drawback is the stinky bathroom, I called the front desk, and housekeeping put a deodorizer and sprayed the air freshener but the sewage smell came back the next day.
Not sure if all rooms like this. If you got a room with no smell then it will be a great deal.

Room Tip: Check if your bath room smells. According housekeeping that room at higher floor does not have this...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank davidh285
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Davidh285,

Welcome to our SSAW Hotel Shanghai TripAdvisor page.
Thank you very much for taking your valued time to give us your honest feedback.

We do strive to offer all our guests an unique experience in Shanghai.
I am thus glad to read you enjoyed our hotel' location and liked our 'Question Hotline' if any further assistance is required during your stay.
During our next meeting I will surely forward your comment regarding the drawback you mentioned in your review. I do hope this did not affect your stay in this beautiful and interesting city.

We appreciate your comment and do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,
ssawsh@outlook.com

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Novembre 2013. The hotel is good, breakfast (not included I think) is really nice with a lot of choice. We didn't try the restaurant, room are quite big, clean and shower is nice.
Few minutes from Subway and Yu Garden !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Constance B
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Constance B,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
I do hope you had a pleasant flight back to Malaysia after a memorable trip.

In addition, I would like to thank you for your comment on our TripAdvisor page.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to stay at our hotel again in the near future. If you have time, you can always try our Four Seasons restaurant on the 4th floor with spectacular views of the city.

Warmest regards,
ssawsh@outlook.com

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Convenient location (5 minute walk from Line 10 YuYuan Gardens Station), beautiful decor (Thai style), wonderful amenities and lovely rooms. English is spoken at the front desk, but ask for Neils because he is from Holland and speaks perfect English and treats everyone like a VIP. (PS: The Chinese desk clerks sometimes don't understand what you are asking for...) Anyway, I stayed here twice in a two-week period as I had to go to Bangkok and then return. This hotel couldn't be better, and you are getting a 4* hotel for a very reasonable internet price. Do book ahead at least 3 weeks or more to get the best room rate. Otherwise you will get into the 125 to 300 USD per night. I paid $79 a night. Of course you can stay at places really cheap in Shanghai ($40 or less) BUT remember, you get what you pay for! Free minibar (no liquor, but sodas and cookies), free espresso machine and free bottled water in your room. If you want breakfast included you'll pay a higher room rate ($20 USD or more) and I felt it wasn't worth it for me and that's a US restaurant price. You can eat breakfast a LOT cheaper anywhere in Shanghai. (I like tea eggs at the local convenience store down the block for ¥ 1 (16 cents) and a bottle of OJ for about $1.20)
But I digress! I love the rooftop patio garden bar & lounge on the 4th floor of the Ssaw as it affords a beautiful view of the skyline and is very relaxing with sofa seating as well as high-tops and tables for dining if you want more than a cocktail. Although the cocktail menu is VERY limited, you can still get a couple of classic old cocktails at a decent price.
If I return to Shanghai in the future, I will always choose the Ssaw!)

Room Tip: Ask for Non-Smoking, because on my 2nd stay, they mistakenly put me in a lower room with ashtrays an...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sofawny
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear guest,

I am glad to read your comment on our Tripadvisor page.
Feedback is always very important to us in order to improve our product and services.
We can, for example, prevent the mistake to put our guest on a smoking floor instead of the requested non-smoking floor. Besides this mistake on our side, I understand that you had a enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you very much for your time and efforts to write down your personal experience.
We hope to welcome you back to SSAW Hotel Shanghai again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Book 3 rooms for 3 days for pre-wedding photo session

Pros :
1. 99% clean bedroom + bathroom + hotel + lobby + etc
2. Great Location
3. Big room size (Room 2015 , room 2012 looks little smaller though)
4. Great ambiance
5. Free coffee & tea at lobby :D
6. Free wi-fi, even though we are too busy to use that
7. Comfortable bed
8. Good price
9. Nice staff, even the room service lady is nice, even though i think she do not speak english, but she always greet us when meet

Cons :
1. I do not understand, how to request not to clean my room ?
- already put do not disturb sign, still cleaned
- request at receptionist, still cleaned
- out of option >.<
2. My packaging cartoon box for dresses was clean up, but the room service return that back by request
3. The corridor in front my room quite dark maybe you can put some lights. (room 2015)

In conclusion,
I will recommend this hotels to anyone who require a good place to rest
I will also recommend this hotels to anyone that take cleanness as no.1 category
Since i do not use public transportation i do not know about that

and
I do not recommend this hotel if you like a fancy hotel with good sight-seeing just right outside your room-window

Thanks

Room Tip: i got room 2015 / 215. Very quite room (no noisy) except someone take shower at room above. Bigger s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank climz
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Please allow me to thank you for such a detailed comment regarding your recent stay with us.
I do hope the photo session in Shanghai was successful.

When reading your review, I am glad to understand you enjoyed our hotel during your busy schedule. However, I will surely investigate why the housekeeping still cleaned your room after your requests to our staff. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I will also take your suggestion regarding the lighting in the corridor on board during our next meeting.

Please note that the view from your room depends on your reservation. Since our hotel is located in the middle of Shanghai, some rooms have spectacular views of the Pudong skyline or Yuyuan Garden. If you wish to stay at SSAW Hotel again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order to assist you with your booking.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is definitely the perfect hotel in Shanghai for us! Although there were issues with our booking confirmation and transfer to the railway station on our last day, these things became very minor already as compared to our total SSAW experience. Everything else was superbly great. Albeit only badged with 3-4 stars, we can absolutely attest to its 5Star level standards.

Why choose SSAW?
-The hotel is centrally located. It is near YuYuan Gardens and next to a metro station (YuYuan). It's just 2-3minutes easy walk. The Bund is also within the reach (15-20mins walk)
-The rooms are fascinating. The interior design is exquisite without comprising functionality and comfort. Even the hallways are very clean and well designed.
-MiniBar is free unlike other hotels. They'll even replenish the food and drinks daily.
-Breakfast buffet is great! Selection is pretty good. Eating your food at the patio with a view of Shanghai shouldn't be missed.
-Staff can speak good English. Special thanks to the manager (Niels) for being so accommodating to our requests.

After a tiring day of touring around Shanghai, the thought of going back to the hotel is the cherry on top of the cake. For its price, you'll undoubtedly get what you pay for (or actually 'get more'). Clearly, this is one of the best hotels in Shanghai in its range and category.

*Suggestion to the management though is to have their own transportation (van/minibus/car) to complete the package.

Room Tip: SSAW room is great and looks like an executive suite already.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank KPbolt

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed comment on our Tripadvisor page.
I hope you had a pleasant trip in Shanghai and Beijing.

We are glad to read you enjoyed our beautiful designed rooms and location. As you kindly mentioned, our hotel is located near major attractions in Shanghai. It is understandable that, after a long day sightseeing, it is very important the rooms are comfortable and functional at the same time.

Additionally, I will forward your suggestion to the relevant departments within our hotel.
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with us.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Lobby is nice, Sorta give you the feeling of a boutique hotel. Staffs are friendly, Room is clean, no issues throughout the whole stay, When i checked in to the hotel the room i booked was occupied, so they upgraded my room into a better one without additional charge!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ChinYau

Dear guest,

Greetings from the entire team of SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for your comment on our Tripadvisor page.

It is a pleasure to read you enjoyed our boutique hotel and staff.
I am sure it was a pleasant surprise to be upgraded to better room upon arrival.
Please keep in mind that you are always free to contact me directly if any assistance is required.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and efforts and we do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We chose this hotel for a quick overnight rest before catching the plane the following morning. For the price we paid, we were overall very happy with the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff. Check in and out were hassle free and helping us get a cab in the early morning was done well and quick. A quick thing to note is that the front staff required us to pay a deposit of rmb 200 prior to checking in, so you may want to prepare this amount in advance. We also like the information about the cab charges to and fro airport or railway station that was put up for guests near to the check in counter, we find it very helpful. Location is great, it took approx 10-15 mins to get to pudong (IFC, Zheng da) at less than rmb 20 cab fare.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Reddotz
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay with us.
I do hope you had a pleasant flight back to Singapore.
When reading your review, I am proud to read you enjoyed our location and the friendliness of the staff during your one night stay. During our next meeting I will surely forward your kind words.

In addition, I retrieved your booking, made by one of our booking agencies partners where you already paid the full amount prior to arrival. As our SSAW Hotel policy, we kindly ask a RMB200 refundable deposit per night for any additional charges. If you will not use any of our facilities, we will cancel your deposit upon check-out. When paying the amount upon check-out (it depends on your booking agency) , another amount for deposit is required when you check-in.

Once again, thank you for your comment on our Tripadvisor page and we do hope to welcome you back soon.