“Could've been perfect...”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #49 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is a very nice hotel - don't be fooled by the non descriptive exterior. Location is perfect - steps from Yuyuan Garden subway stn and very clos to Yuyuan Gardens, fruit market and true Old Shanghai if you are interested. You can even walk to the Bund -15-20min.
Rooms are excellent - ample space (we stayed in SSAW room), nice view, excellent bed and bedding. Large bathroom with a modern bathtub. 2 flat screen TV, fridge, tea set, Tassimo machine, etc... We enjoy our stay there very much...
Breakfast is very good, nice roof terrace off restaurant, which serves good food for dinner too.
Everything is very well run, no problem there...
What is lacking is reception desk. They don't care about you... They don't care, period...
When we were checking in around 11PM, a guest came up to them and said that he was just robbed on Fuxing road. The girl on reception did not understand the name of the road in his pronunciation. She asked <<where?>> with expression of annoyance on her face... This went back and forth few times. Finally she understood. She then wrote police number on a piece of paper and said <<here..>>, putting it in front of him and went back to continue her paperwork
or something... Not even <sorry to hear that Sir...>>
During our stay we also had some questions and seems like the only person who was able to help us and showed interest in our business was a male receptionist. Unfortunately he wasn't there all the time. Upon check out the girl demanded that I punched my CC PIN twice for the same amount, she was very annoyed and irritated when I started questioning that and refused...
I still rate this hotel 4**** as everything else worked perfectly. I hope the Management will really work on front desk personnel improvement and then we will be back...

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
2  Thank Piramidon
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai. I hope you had a pleasant journey back to Canada.
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, we appreciate your time and efforts.

To start, I am glad to read you liked our hotel location, room and roof terrace.
That is why I feel sorry you had a bad experience with our reception staff.
We always try to train our staff properly to help all guests at all times. In addition, I truly understand the importance of face expression and attention to our guest. Please accept my apologies for the staff behavior. I kindly ask you to send me a private message with more details so we can take action on this, I will take your comment on board during our next meeting to make sure we all learn from this.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

All the best,

There are newer reviews for SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel is well located close to the Yuyuan metro station en Yuyuan market. The room we had was quite nice and very clean. Wooden floor, decent bed and a large rain shower in the bathroom. Breakfast is mostly Asian but European tourists will also find some nice things. They have a pretty roof terrace on the 4th floor. This is one of those hotels you'll only book if you are a frequent tripadvisor user. Otherwise you probably wouldn't find it elsewhere. It's an ok place, rooms are clean, staff is adequate but do not expect smiling faces all over the place. The area is safe but do not be surprised if outside in front of the hotel women suggest to give you a massage with a happy ending. Price is reasonable but we have had better hotels for less money.

2  Thank DutchBlokeEindhoven
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed in SSAW for many times, but the first time we saw the building, I was nervous because it didn't look that good from the outside, but when we stepped in, we found a nice cozy lobby (with an iMac on the seating area for guests to use). We're even more impressed when we saw the room, it was cool designed, with a bit Japanese and South East Asia touch. The window had blackout power window for complete darkness when we sleep, and not to mention the bed was a big WOW, very soft, unlike most hard bed in any other hotels in China. The bathroom has a nice round bathtub with windows overlooking the city. And one small plus was also the minibar was for free (only some soda and crackers, but hey, everyone love free stuff).
The breakfast was not the best, but it was good enough, with quite variety of Chinese and Western dishes. And we love that they have that big outdoor terrace that we can have our breakfast at, it was really cool with the view of The Bund.
Some of the staff speak ok english, some not, but still not bad, most of the time they smile and helpful. So overall, yes we really love this hotel, very close to the metro station, and the price was very reasonable.

Room Tip: Don't take the standard room on the second floor, it was not as good as the one on the higher fl...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

It's 33-35 degree during daytime and the air-con. is default at or below 26 degree. I was sweating in the room and the technician told me this is "standard" - then why we need to switch on air-con. If outdoor temperature is above 29-30 at night. It is not accepted and not sleep well. In terms of cleaniness, the floor is not clean, I found a tiny cockroach on the floor near the bathroom. The breakfast - I prefer eating in Starbucks. Overall the hospitality experience is so-so. I paid for a delux room, but they gave me a standard room eventually, lower level.

Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Littlehse M
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Good location, close to subway and restaurant. Walking distance to Nanjing road, The Bund, French Conscession, Xintiandi etc
Room size is ok and room are quite clean.
Do not expect a luxury hotel but it certainly is a hotel of good standard

Room Tip: Get a high room. We had a room on second floor. Not bad but no view Get a room facing the back - mo...
1  Thank DivingSEA
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your review at TripAdvisor.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel location to explore Shanghai.
Do not hesitate to contact me for any other inquiry. I'll be pleased to assist you.
We are hoping to welcome you at SSAW Shanghai again.

All the best,
GRM / nielstaal@live.nl

Reviewed June 13, 2013

PROS
* The hotel was easy to spot when I first got to Shanghai and came out the YuYuan Station (exit 4?) late at night was totally disoriented as to which direction I was facing. I looked around and looked up in the sky and saw the hotel name on the building high up. That made me feel relieved after a long flight and heavy luggage to carry.
* Nice, spacious, modern looking rooms.
* Pretty fast, free WIFI
* Hot, strong shower
* Staff was helpful. They loaned out umbrellas and offer suggestions for day trips.

* Great location
- ~5 min walk from YuYuan Garden station (lavendar line)
- <10min walk to Dashijie Station (red line)
- Close to shopping and lots of random eateries near Dashijie (turn left out of hotel and go up the right fork)
- 15min walk to XinTianDi
- 15min walk to YuYuan Garden tourist site. The Garden/private park is pretty neat.

CONS
* The bathroom in my room (3rd floor) smelled pretty bad. Intermittently bad. It's like a mixture of sewage or mold, with bleach or cleaner. Not sure if it's because the 3rd floor is close to other plumbing facilities of the building or it's just my room? But it was not pleasant. The smell would come in waves throughout the day.

* Breakfast was actually decent, but I found a large mealworm in the stir-fry veggies. But perhaps it's mealworm season, because I found another worm in the veggies I had at another restaurant in town (not at hotel).

Room Tip: Try not to get the 3rd floor. The entire floor kind of smells sewage-y.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
I hope you had a good flight back to San Francisco.

The nearest subway station 'Yuyuan Garden' is just around the corner.
I can imagine you would like to arrive as soon as possible after a long flight.
For us it is good to read you liked our rooms and services we offered you.
We are always open to suggestions to improve more, you can always let me know by mail.

Just now I forwarded your complaints about the room smell and the breakfast to the relevant departments within our hotel. I truly hope this did not affect your stay. Thank you for your honest feedback to help us and future guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any inquiry, I will be pleased to help you.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was enticed by reading reading reviews and seeing photos of the property, but what really convinced me to give the hotel a try was that I noticed the manager, Mr. Taal, made it a point to address almost every concern posted here. Such attention to detail is a sign that the hotel is good and striving to get even better. I directly emailed Mr. Taal with a question about the hotel and not only did he answer the question, he volunteered to personally take care of setting up my reservation and did so without even requesting my credit card to confirm the stay! In today's world, that is a touch of trusting, confident way to run a business. 3 thumbs up!
Upon check-in, there was a problem in that my SSAW room was actually not available for my first night's stay. Mr. Taal personally took care of this in a flash and upgraded me to a suite for the evening. The breakfast buffet was expansive and the restaurant room is a very attractive feature. If you go to the hotel, make it a point to go to the restaurant and at least see the beautiful outdoor, rooftop dining area. With little fishponds and appealing architectual design, it's a wonderful spot to relax and get a view and bit of feel for the city.
The SSAW room was fairly large with an addtional area with a couch, table and workdesk. Bathroom was very generously sized with a deep soaking tub along with the shower. The drains worked well. There's a nice park nearby and a 5-10 minute stroll takes you to a street with a lot of nice shops and interesting buildings. We discovered a great little alley that was wall-to-wall small restaurants and food stalls--bring your camera to catch the colors and action.
My only negatives were a faulty window blind (they're electric) malfunctioned and jumped the track but it was easily adjusted and for me I'd prefer a small dresser to unpack things, we ended up laying out our things on the couch & table.
Taxi's were readily available and the room was very quiet. AC worked well to keep things comfortable.
All in all, a good value for the money, a very attractive hotel and a very courteous and helpful staff who spoke English well. Highly recommended

Room Tip: For a view, I think you need to go higher and probably reserve the "SSAW Room"

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your kind comment about your stay at SSAW.
In addition, I also appreciate your personal compliment, I am pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us.

I remember the check-in did not went smooth but I hope the solution we offered you did not bothered your stay. When reading your comment I understand you liked the room and our restaurant. I will forward this information to our F&B Manager in our next meeting. As Shanghai is the largest city in China, we believe our rooftop terrace must be quiet and relaxing.
The small 'Chinese' alleys are great to walk in so you can see the difference between the western part and the Chinese part of the city.

I will also take your comment about the window blind on board so we can check every room about this. Once again, thank you for your comment and I hope to welcome you back one day.

Best regards,