“Luxury near city center”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #47 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Bratislava
“Luxury near city center”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Booked for our stop over stay going from Australia to Europe. Located walking distance from Bund and amazing Yu Garden quarter. Very nice near luxury rooms, wifi internet and complimentary drinks included. Good tea and coffe making facilities. Taxi waiting in front of the hotel, so you can use this afordable transport option. Metro station nearby, but remenber, there are many (20 mil.) people in Shanghai :) Very good aircondition (in our case heating), you can set your prefered temperature and you will get it. Nice bathroom with all amenities. Trully 4 star, maybe 4,5 star hotel. Recomended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tibor P
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your great comment and choosing to stay with us during your stay in Shanghai.
We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stopover and liked our rooms.
At most times there are taxi's available in front of our hotel and our staff will always help you to catch a taxi on the street. Thank you for sharing your SSAW experience at Tripadvisor as it helps other travellers to make the best out of their future stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for reservation enquiry, questions or suggestions.
You can send your email to nielstaal@live.nl and I will help you further.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This hotel was fantastic. We booked this hotel as we knew we could afford the slightly premium room and in doing so we hoped we would be higher up and have good views. We turned up dripping with sweat and were immediately given a glass of water, a flannel and a cheery hello. To our surprise they had upgraded us to the suite (we had only booked a deluxe room) and it was massive. We had a bath tub, a lounge room, a bath tub which overlooked the city, and a complimentary mini bar. The hotel met our requests when we need an iron and other services. Excellent WiFi signal. Would definitely stay here again. The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but inside it is a dream. The only thing missing was a bar and an option for breakfast but this was soon forgotten with everything else.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more because you still get a good price and will be guaranteed a higher room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Spartacus_knows
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, April 1, 2013

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for your positive feedback.

It is good to read you liked the free upgrade we offered you.
Our hotel guests can enjoy a drink in our restaurant all day long or
can relax at one of our lounge seats on the terrace (4th floor) if the weather is good.
Your suggestion about the bar and breakfast option is something we will definitely take on board to improve our services.

Once again, thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any question or reservation (nielstaal@live.nl) I am looking forward to welcome you again.

Singapore
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed 4N in Ssaw Hotel Shanghai during my Shanghai trip in Mar 2013. The hotel is situated in a central location, 5min walk from the Yuyuan metro station (purple) and about 15min walk from the Dashijie metro station (blue). From the hotel, you can walk along the Huai Hai East road to the Infinity Plaza Mall where you can find some nice restaurants. The hotel room is clean and cozy, nicely decorated with a zen look. To our surprise, they even provide free soft drinks and biscuits in the mini fridge. I had an enjoyable stay in this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for all Tripadvisor members.

What I have learned by reading your comment is that you enjoyed our hotel location and our cozy room with free minibar. All our rooms are decorated in South East Asian style.
Your positive feedback will be shared to the team as part of our commitment to service excellence.

We are looking forward to welcome you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

For the price I was taken aback by the quality of the room - it was huge and wonderfully designed and made for a very comfortable stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I had breakfast included with the room and made the most of it, the buffet selection was vast and everything I tried tasted great.

The hotel is located close to YuYuan Garden metro and is very convenient for visiting the garden itself as well as the surrounding market area. The riverside and Huaihai Rd are both about 15 minutes walk away too.

I didn't spend much time inside the hotel other than sleeping and breakfast so couldn't comment on the other facilities, but I never had any problems whatsoever and would happily stay again. Probably my favourite hotel experience in China so far.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rekceh
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Greetings from a sunny Shanghai today.
Thank you for your lovely words about our hotel.

I am pleased to read your stay at SSAW was your favourite one in China.
During your next visit you can relax at our hotel SPA or enjoy a drink on the outside terrace.
To improve our product and services I forwarded your comment to all relevant departments.

Once again, thank you for staying at SSAW during your stay in Shanghai and I would like to welcome you back again soon. In case you need any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

nielstaal@live.nl
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

ssaw hotel shanghai is a great place to stay. the staff were always very courteous and helpful. the room had a separate living area with couch and tables, very roomy. lovely blackout blinds and two tvs. huge bathroom with views to the bund if you stood in the right spot. other views were of the streets below including a little rustic market that operated through rain hail or shine.
the hotel manager was very accommodating and helpful and we were very grateful for all his wonderful assistance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bethany2012
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Greetings from a rainy Shanghai.
Thank you for staying at SSAW Hotel Shanghai.

We are pleased to read you liked our hotel rooms. We renovated all rooms in 2011 South East Asian style. Today I forwarded your review to all relevant departments.
I am sure they will be satisfied with your comment.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any more information, question or new reservation.

maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel does a great job of covering the basics --- good rooms, good service, good location, and a good breakfast. I was able to walk everywhere I wanted to go within about 15 minutes - Shanghai museum, Nanjing Street, Bund, French Concession, and Yuyuan Garden. The #10 subway stops about a block away. I would highly recommend this for those who don't need everything that comes with the large US name brands, but who are looking for a great hotel at a great price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Collins,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Once again, thank you for staying with us during your recent stay.

I hope you had a good flight back home and enjoyed your time in China.
We highly appreciate your comment on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read you liked the hotel room and location.

In case you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Hope to welcome you again soon.

Sofia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The SSAW Hotel Shanghai is one of those hotels, which have decent rooms, a very good location, nice breakfast, but are managed badly. I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but with the remark that he/she has to be very careful when dealing with the hotel staff.

I stayed with some friends in the hotel in March 2013 for 3 nights and was very satisfied with the rooms - their layout, their view (though not in Pudong direction), the nice bathroom, the cleanliness, and many more.

Nevertheless, we had some significant trouble with the hotel staff. First of all, no matter where you book your rooms, a deposit payment will be expected in the hotel at arrival - RMB 200 per room per night. I generally dislike this distrust and payment policy, but more and more get accustomed to it. Still keep in mind that SSAW does not accept credit cards for this deposit, but wants the amount cash.

Then we had 3 nice days in the city, which is absolutely amazing. The hotel is close to the Yu Yuan Garden (and its metro station). Within 15 minutes on foot you can reach the Bund. The Nanjing Rd. East with its shops is also close.

As we had to leave Shanghai on the third day through the Shanghai Pudong Airport and wanted to give the Maglev train a try, we asked the hotel to call a large Expo 2010 taxi (VW Touran) from one of the city taxi companies, as this was the only car that could carry the luggage of the 4 of us. We got their confirmation and calmed. On the next morning as we did the check-out and left our luggage at the reception desk, our excellent tour guide (Jean Liu from Shanghai Lander) again spoke in Chinese to the hotel staff. Although hotel staff seemed confused by our wish to have this exact company and taxi type, they had again confirmed and written down our order for an expo 2010 cab for 5:30 pm. Once we came back to the hotel (around 4:30 pm), we took our luggage, put some bags in it and expected the taxi to come. Once we asked at the reception desk, no one knew anything about our taxi order. After a short confusion from our side (as our flights were in danger), one of the concierges told us that they didn't know the phone number of the expo taxis and had therefore not called one. I got furious as no one did contact us proactively to share this issue. What's more, the same concierge offered us the hotel van for the same route at a price of RMB 150, whereas the taxi as per our tour guide's information had to have a price of approx. RMB 40 to RMB 50. This feeling that someone wanted to BETRAY us was even more intensified when we in the end were able to stop an expo taxi in front of the hotel and it drove us to the Maglev train station for RMB 33 in total.
When I now try to connect the dots, it seems that the hotel staff wanted us to get the hotel van and pay a fivefold price, which is NOT ACCEPTABLE for a hotel of such a ranking.

In addition, I can confirm the impression of KWong_11 that the hotel staff was almost always sour-faced.

Last, but not least - some information about the transportation:
Taxi Shanghai Hongqiao train station - SSAW Hotel -> RMB 90 (according to the night tariff of RMB 4,7 per km)
Taxi SSAW Hotel - Maglev train -> RMB 33
Price of subway - starting from RMB 3 it depends on the distance you want to cover

Pros:
+ Nicely furnished rooms
+ Decent location close to Bund, subway, Nanjing Rd East and Shanghai Yu Yuan garden
+ Free mini bar drinks and snacks

Cons:
- I am left with the feeling that the hotel staff wanted to betray us (which is not acceptable for a 4* hotel)
- Deposit payment of RMB 200 per room per night

Room Tip: Look for rooms with smoking allowed - they smell badly, but have a great city view (direction Renmin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bgpower
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 19, 2013

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
In the first of all I would like to thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am disappointed to learn you had an unhappy experience in our hotel during your recent stay in March. To know why the front office staff did not accept your creditcard, I would like to receive more feedback so I can sort this out for you. We normally accept all kinds of creditcard types from all around the world for deposit use. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
On the other side, I am glad to hear you liked our rooms, hotel location and our free minibar.

We very much appreciate your feedback as it does help us to further improve our product and services. In case you would like to discuss this review further, please contact me directly: nielstaal@live.nl.