“Great value and location and a lovely room”

SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund
Ranked #50 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Great value and location and a lovely room”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

For the price I was taken aback by the quality of the room - it was huge and wonderfully designed and made for a very comfortable stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I had breakfast included with the room and made the most of it, the buffet selection was vast and everything I tried tasted great.

The hotel is located close to YuYuan Garden metro and is very convenient for visiting the garden itself as well as the surrounding market area. The riverside and Huaihai Rd are both about 15 minutes walk away too.

I didn't spend much time inside the hotel other than sleeping and breakfast so couldn't comment on the other facilities, but I never had any problems whatsoever and would happily stay again. Probably my favourite hotel experience in China so far.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rekceh
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Greetings from a sunny Shanghai today.
Thank you for your lovely words about our hotel.

I am pleased to read your stay at SSAW was your favourite one in China.
During your next visit you can relax at our hotel SPA or enjoy a drink on the outside terrace.
To improve our product and services I forwarded your comment to all relevant departments.

Once again, thank you for staying at SSAW during your stay in Shanghai and I would like to welcome you back again soon. In case you need any further assistance, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

nielstaal@live.nl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2013

ssaw hotel shanghai is a great place to stay. the staff were always very courteous and helpful. the room had a separate living area with couch and tables, very roomy. lovely blackout blinds and two tvs. huge bathroom with views to the bund if you stood in the right spot. other views were of the streets below including a little rustic market that operated through rain hail or shine.
the hotel manager was very accommodating and helpful and we were very grateful for all his wonderful assistance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bethany2012
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Greetings from a rainy Shanghai.
Thank you for staying at SSAW Hotel Shanghai.

We are pleased to read you liked our hotel rooms. We renovated all rooms in 2011 South East Asian style. Today I forwarded your review to all relevant departments.
I am sure they will be satisfied with your comment.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any more information, question or new reservation.

maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel does a great job of covering the basics --- good rooms, good service, good location, and a good breakfast. I was able to walk everywhere I wanted to go within about 15 minutes - Shanghai museum, Nanjing Street, Bund, French Concession, and Yuyuan Garden. The #10 subway stops about a block away. I would highly recommend this for those who don't need everything that comes with the large US name brands, but who are looking for a great hotel at a great price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Collins,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Once again, thank you for staying with us during your recent stay.

I hope you had a good flight back home and enjoyed your time in China.
We highly appreciate your comment on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read you liked the hotel room and location.

Hope to welcome you again soon.

Sofia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The SSAW Hotel Shanghai is one of those hotels, which have decent rooms, a very good location, nice breakfast, but are managed badly. I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but with the remark that he/she has to be very careful when dealing with the hotel staff.

I stayed with some friends in the hotel in March 2013 for 3 nights and was very satisfied with the rooms - their layout, their view (though not in Pudong direction), the nice bathroom, the cleanliness, and many more.

Nevertheless, we had some significant trouble with the hotel staff. First of all, no matter where you book your rooms, a deposit payment will be expected in the hotel at arrival - RMB 200 per room per night. I generally dislike this distrust and payment policy, but more and more get accustomed to it. Still keep in mind that SSAW does not accept credit cards for this deposit, but wants the amount cash.

Then we had 3 nice days in the city, which is absolutely amazing. The hotel is close to the Yu Yuan Garden (and its metro station). Within 15 minutes on foot you can reach the Bund. The Nanjing Rd. East with its shops is also close.

As we had to leave Shanghai on the third day through the Shanghai Pudong Airport and wanted to give the Maglev train a try, we asked the hotel to call a large Expo 2010 taxi (VW Touran) from one of the city taxi companies, as this was the only car that could carry the luggage of the 4 of us. We got their confirmation and calmed. On the next morning as we did the check-out and left our luggage at the reception desk, our excellent tour guide (Jean Liu from Shanghai Lander) again spoke in Chinese to the hotel staff. Although hotel staff seemed confused by our wish to have this exact company and taxi type, they had again confirmed and written down our order for an expo 2010 cab for 5:30 pm. Once we came back to the hotel (around 4:30 pm), we took our luggage, put some bags in it and expected the taxi to come. Once we asked at the reception desk, no one knew anything about our taxi order. After a short confusion from our side (as our flights were in danger), one of the concierges told us that they didn't know the phone number of the expo taxis and had therefore not called one. I got furious as no one did contact us proactively to share this issue. What's more, the same concierge offered us the hotel van for the same route at a price of RMB 150, whereas the taxi as per our tour guide's information had to have a price of approx. RMB 40 to RMB 50. This feeling that someone wanted to BETRAY us was even more intensified when we in the end were able to stop an expo taxi in front of the hotel and it drove us to the Maglev train station for RMB 33 in total.
When I now try to connect the dots, it seems that the hotel staff wanted us to get the hotel van and pay a fivefold price, which is NOT ACCEPTABLE for a hotel of such a ranking.

In addition, I can confirm the impression of KWong_11 that the hotel staff was almost always sour-faced.

Last, but not least - some information about the transportation:
Taxi Shanghai Hongqiao train station - SSAW Hotel -> RMB 90 (according to the night tariff of RMB 4,7 per km)
Taxi SSAW Hotel - Maglev train -> RMB 33
Price of subway - starting from RMB 3 it depends on the distance you want to cover

Pros:
+ Nicely furnished rooms
+ Decent location close to Bund, subway, Nanjing Rd East and Shanghai Yu Yuan garden
+ Free mini bar drinks and snacks

Cons:
- I am left with the feeling that the hotel staff wanted to betray us (which is not acceptable for a 4* hotel)
- Deposit payment of RMB 200 per room per night

Room Tip: Look for rooms with smoking allowed - they smell badly, but have a great city view (direction Renmin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bgpower
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 19, 2013

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
In the first of all I would like to thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am disappointed to learn you had an unhappy experience in our hotel during your recent stay in March. To know why the front office staff did not accept your creditcard, I would like to receive more feedback so I can sort this out for you. We normally accept all kinds of creditcard types from all around the world for deposit use. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.
On the other side, I am glad to hear you liked our rooms, hotel location and our free minibar.

We very much appreciate your feedback as it does help us to further improve our product and services. In case you would like to discuss this review further, please contact me directly: nielstaal@live.nl.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

After reading many reviews for what seemed days on tripadviser and other travel sights we decided to bight the bullet and book Ssaw hotel. We would have spent more if needed and had a strong budget for our trip. If you look across the board you will see the review score for this hotel is as strong as the Waldorf and Hyatt but this hotel is only 1/3 of the price of those hotels. Save yourself the hours we spent and just go ahead and book it.

Why is great?
*1Tight location near all the most happening part of the city, save yourself taxi fairs getting to places over staying in a cheap area hotel.
*2. Wonderful breakfast all you can eat buffet for 10bucks a person (or included if you pay the extra) -we liked the yogurt and muesli the best.
*3 Modern styled hotel. Very pretty hallway to your room. Free wifi, modern amenities. Full black out blinds if you need total darkness during the day sleep and for jet lag time adjustment.

*4. The most important thing for us that made our stay a pleasure was the front desk member of staff , the Dutch guy Niels. He got to know us while we were at the hotel. He is the most caring and professional hotel front desk person. He made our stay at the hotel so relaxing. My daughter needed an extra bed, a few minutes later there was one there. We needed directions on where to go, he went above beyond to help us. Great guy.

I am usually a skeptical about reviews on these travel sites, but this one is accurate. Go ahead and book it before the management realize what a great hotel they have and put the prices up.

Barry, Jen and baby Vivienne -Los Angeles

Room Tip: go for executive sweet, for extra $25 a night you get a much cooler room with much more space.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank barry b
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Berry, Jen and Vivienne,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for staying with us and for your detailed review on Trip Advisor.

Glad to know you all liked the hotel location and our room decoration.
We renovated the hotel more than one year ago. I will forward this review to all relevant departments.

Hope to welcome you back again soon. In case you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Once again, thank you for your stay.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I booked 2 rooms – the first room for 2 nights (2 pax – SSAW room) and second room for 1 night (1 pax which is my customer – Deluxe Twin). We only managed to arrive at the hotel about 8pm and we were greeted by the sour-face checkin staff. After the checkin process, she presented me with 2 room keys and told me specifically which room is for 1 night and 2 nights. So, when I reach my room, I felt that it was funny as my room comes with 2 single beds and it doesn’t looks like the picture (I eventually found out that my customer has the nicer SSAW room). But since I’m already late for a dinner appointment, I thought that I would clarify with the reception after I come back from dinner.

When I reached back, I went to the reception immediately to check. First, she told me that both the rooms in my booking are exactly the same. However, she then told me that the room for 2 single beds is for 1 night instead. I then asked her whether I can change my current 2 Single Beds room to a Double bedroom since I haven’t unpack. I was told that it cannot be done because they are fullhouse for both days. Added to that, she told me that she will change in the system that I’ll stay at my current room for 2 nights while the other room will be 1 night (since she told the rooms are the same – just a different bedding configuration).
However, in the next day, before my customer is about to check out at 1pm, I got a call from the front desk (a different person from the previous night) asking me to change room. I declined as I have alot of luggage that I have unpacked. The receptionist (a different person from the previous night) told me that I’m in the wrong room and I must move. I explained on the line to her that I just don’t want to be disturbed and I’ll remain in this room while the other room will be checkout soon. She told me that I can remain in this room if I make a new reservation in the internet. I tried to explain to her that her colleague told me:
1) During checkin, she told me that my current is for 2 nights (instead of 2 BEDS).
2) Both the rooms are exactly the same
3) She cannot change my room earlier because they are full for both days (which I later found out to be untrue, they are only full the first day).
4) She will make the adjustment to the rooms allocation

To my surprise, the lady does not believe me and sarcastically told me : “That is what you said, but my colleague told me she only explained to you that which has 1 BED and which room has 2 BEDS (as opposed to what I hear is which room is 1 night and which room is 2 nights)”. Following this, short of calling me a liar to my face, she continues to take her colleague side instead of my explanation. I was so angry that I stormed to the reception counter and confront her (which is a manager). Some argument ensued and she asked me to wait for her previous colleague to come for her statement in front of me. Since I’m rushing to send my customer to the airport, I told her that I’ll not wait but I expect an explanation from the hotel’s general manager on this issue. At this point, another manager (a westerner - higher level I presume) diffused the argument and got me a cab to the airport.

What I don’t understand is why create such a hassle as :
1) I’m willing to take a lesser room (seems that the SSAW room is nicer that the Twin bedroom)?
2) I’ve already insisted that I do not want to change room due to luggage issues?
3) I’ve clarified on the first night with the reception on this issue?
4) If I really heard the receptionist wrongly (the receptionist allegedly to me 1 BED instead of 1 NIGHT, and 2 BEDS instead of 2 NIGHTS), how would I know how to allocate the room if she doesn’t tell me more?

When I’m back at the hotel at night, I was expecting for a explanation/apology letter waiting for me in the room but there is none. In the following morning, when I bumped into the westerner manager in the lobby, he didn’t acknowledge me or take the chance to explain to me further. I don’t believe I heard them apologizing to me even once on this matter.

On the bright side, the hotel’s location is quite good and near to YuYuan Garden. On top of that the breakfast is quite good. The rooms are quite small though.

Now I know why some of the review I read earlier saying that this hotel has got the correct “hardware” but no “software”. The top management really needs to send its staffs to learn how to handle and satisfy customer better. At this left a bad aftertaste in my mouth.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank KWong_11
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 13, 2013

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed comment.

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience in our hotel.
Kindly accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
We already discussed this situation with all relevant departments.

We hope to welcome you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directy for further assistance regarding your comment.

Rome, Italy
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my husband last January. I'd chosen it on the basis of all the other Tripadvisor reviews and compared it against all the others in the same price range. It turned out to be all that we imagined and it was the perfect choice for us. The outside of the hotel is not fancy but the lobby and rooms are very nice and warm (it was close to 0°C outside). The room was a regular one and was tastefully furnished. The bathroom was very nice with a large, comfortable shower. We were up high and had a nice view over the roofs of some small houses with skyscrapers in the background. Wifi was free and worked fine except for one night but when I went to tell the receptionist he called the technician and had it working again within half an hour. The minibar is also free and stocked with soft drinks and even some cookies! Water was free as were the tea and coffee-making facilities. By the way, we were pleasantly surprised to notice that the coffee capsules were made by a high quality Italian brand and tasted better than what you could get at any average coffee shop!
My husband and I enjoy walking and were able to walk to all the main sites. There's also a subway station about a block away. Subways and cabs are very cheap, but the subway can be very crowded and some cabs won't stop even if empty.
There's a Starbucks near the hotel in a small 24/7 supermarket and plenty of local bakeries that sell cheap, very good pastries and sandwiches as well as tea and coffee. There are also a number of stalls selling local food. Malls and shopping areas are just a few blocks away. It was our first trip to China. All in all we had a very pleasant stay and would recommend the hotel to everyone.
One word of caution: at Shanghai airport they will try and convince you to take a taxi into the city for the equivalent of about 80$ or more (a real ripoff since taxis are so cheap!), instead of the much cheaper and faster maglev train. The woman at the airport information desk when you exit the arrival gate will do the same. Ignore these people and go straight to the maglev. It's fun, cheap and only takes 10 minutes to reach the subway station where you can switch to the regular lines or take a regular cheap cab from there to your destination.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Gabriella M
Niels T, Guest Relations Manager at SSAW Boutique Hotel Shanghai Bund, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Greetings from SSAW Hotel Shanghai.
Thank you for sharing your comment with all Tripadvisor members.
We were delighted to hear that you had a good stay with us and felt satisfied about your room. .
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you in the near future again.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us directly.