“Good for business trip”

Ranked #82 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Dublin, Ireland
“Good for business trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was there on the end of August for business trip. The hotel is very nice and clean. Delicious breakfast with all type of food, asia and european. Rooms are quite big and clean one disadvantage - no wifi in the room, only in the lobby. that is the shame that in 5 star hotel there is no wifi in the room. I find the hotel in very good location, 20 min by car to city centre a 5 min walking to main street where you can find a lot of restaurants, pubs and o on.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Arabpiter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one night between arriving from Zhangjiajie and flying out to Australia next day. The hotel is in a good location for the transit as it is just off the ring road that gets you to/from Pudong with minimum delay.
From a holiday viewpoint, I would not stay here - I would choose a more central hotel such as The Central Hotel.
We were checking in late due to plane delays, and the front desk was quite disinterested, a bit snooty and quite unhelpful. As it was late and we had not eaten, we asked whether we could get a sandwich or something in the hotel and was told no - without explanation. After check-in we went for a walk and found a KFC and a McDonalds quite close by - which was enough at that time of night.
The hotel has a subway station right next door, so it was only 3 stops to The People's Square in central Shanghai.
The rooms are fairly small (standard room) although the bathroom is a good size. It was very adequate for our stay. The beds were the best that we had had in China, so we really enjoyed our sleep. The rooms were very clean and there was internet to the room.
Breakfast was excellent and had a good choice of both western and Chines dishes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

My wife, daughter (8 years old) and I were on 8 day holiday in China taking us to Beijing, Xian and Shanghai in that order. The last 2 days of the trip was spent in Shanghai at the Grand Mercure. From check-in to check-out, no complaints. The hotel looks new in terms of the interior. Rooms too look very new. Nice flat TV screen. Very nice lighting. Big toilet/bathroom. We were on the 9th floor. The view from our room was not great but because we did not spend that much of time in the room, it really did not matter to us.

Breakfast was great. Good mix of western and chinese food. Service was good.

The hotel is walking distance from the train station. There are plenty of eating places within walking distance from the hotel.

Free wi-fi facilities in the lobby. If I remember right, they charge RMB80/- per day to have wi-fi in the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel simply because they offer two bedroom apartment with a great price and is close to my husband's office. However, we have encountered several unhappy incidents during our 7-day stay which was unacceptable at this grade of hotel,
1. Upon booking through the Accor official website, I have specifically requested a room with 1.8*2.0 king size bed and the other room with two single. But in actual fact the king was not a king at all, it was a 1.5*2.0. I called the front desk and the lady INSISTED the room is equipped with a 1.8*2.0 king. I had no choice but asked her to put the manager on the phone, and guess what? I was right! I then asked to change to a room with a 1.8*2.0, but funny enough, the two bedroom apartment that has a super king, only has 1 single bed in the second bedrrom. We have four adults so clearly we had to endure the tiny 1.5*2.0 inorder to fit us all. The manager Mr. Liew was kind enough to offer us a extra bed with extra charge of 150CNY (original price 250CNY). I was quite speechless- if such room (configuration of a super king+twin) never exists, why was I not informed when I had put through the request in the first place? Also, when I first checked in, the front desk told me this room includes only 1 breakfast, geeze...this is a two bedroom apartment! I asked her to double check then get back to me but she never did, in the end it was I who checked with the manager whom confirmed the room includes 4 full breakfast.
2. Before I booked the hotel I have called and checked with the front staff the transportation fee from the hotel to Hongqiao airport, the lady told me airport is quite close therefore it'd only cost 50CNY by hotel car. But when I finally wanted to book the airport transfer the day before my departure, the price has surged up to 350CNY! In the end I took a taxi which cost me 36CNY.
3. There are also small things that bothers me, to just name a few, ie. when taking the same lift with the hotel staff, many of them (not all) don't give way to the guests when get to the lobby, which I think is quite rude; and for some reason, the Chinese staff here are more welcoming and much more polite to the westerner than that of Chinese, it is very clear especially in the food serving area during breakfast time. (They serve great congee in the moring with three different flavours but with no sign saying which one is which, I asked one chef looking staff and he showed me a poker face with a cold 'wait here I will check', where he turns around to greet a blond lady with a smile and start to practice English, NOT happy!and this happened amy times during my week long stay)
4. I understand there are quite a few Japanese living in the area therefore it is normal the hotel has several Japanese front desk staff, but could only speak very basic Chinese and English. I rang the front desk to ask for housekeeping and the Japanese gentleman (from the accent as I speak Japnese as well) paused for quite a while then asked abruptly in bad Chinese 'which room are you in?'
Last but not least, Xianxia Rd. is a one way road, so when returning from the main city area, the taxi needs to detour big time and not many driver know where the hotel is (and I speak native Chinese!) so all in all, avoid this hotel if you can (however I'd like to give credit to the housekeeper here, they are probably the only people who work deligently in the hotel), it is only great if you are out on business on your own in the area and needs to stay only a night or two.

Room Tip: Rooms are quite good but service is terrible!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

The hotel is in a great location, near business Shanghai Mart and consulates. It is a short distance away from the train station/ airport of Hongqiao. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Equiped with a kitchenette and even have a washer (no dryer. A small note tells you to notify the clerk if you need to dry clothes). One morning a woman rang the bell and spoke in chinese. Then she pointed out a note in english where i understood her question: if i had clothing for laundry. I wanted to know if I would get it back on time before my departure. This proved to be too much burden so she left. This being said, I must stress that everyone has been very helpful and polite. For future trips I will certainly come back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Perpignan, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We booked into a superior room for just 50 usd a night, were pleasently suprised with the size of the room, with kitchenette and washing machine.
Bed was comfortable, great tv channels , we didnt even go out for 2 nights, just went to the family mart across the road and bought some wine and snacks and lounged around in the hotels dressing gowns and slippers .
Hotel is about 40 rmb and 15 minutes form Hongqiao station/airport and a 10 minute walk from the metro station making easy access to central Shanghai.
There are plenty of restaurants and shops within a 10 minute walk north of the hotel.
Service not the best (carried our own bags up to the room despite the concierge and bellboys being present, but very good value for money otherwise.

Room Tip: the higher the floor the better the view of massive Shanghai!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingMJ
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

The hotel is in a good location if you have fair at ShanghaiMart. The staff was not so helpful, especially the front desk. For instance, when I was asking for my luggages that have been put in the store room, the staff stopped short getting my luggages, but rather, he answered phones. It took more than 10 minutes waiting that I decided to get my receipt back and passed it to another person. But the person could not help, and he passed to another front desk, which passed it back to the first person, who was still on the phone. I had to wait for more than15 minutes while my taxi is still waiting and charging as i was stopping by from other journey to the hotel to collect my luggages.

After I pressed further, the staff then stopped answering phone and he brought me to the room to identify my luggages.

Asking a customer to wait for such a long time is not acceptable. I would urge the management to improve the quality of services in this hotel.

Though, it is lacking of swimming pool, the ambient in the room is good for value, but not the services of the staff. :(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business