“A modern and impressively built hotel, well located.”
Review of Hyatt on the Bund

Hyatt on the Bund
Ranked #53 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Hyderabad - Chennai
“A modern and impressively built hotel, well located.”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed in this hotel when I traveled for business. The location is what made me choose it in the first place and I wasn't disappointed. It is just off the river-bund with a lot of activity for the tourists in the vicinity. The hotel itself is impressively built albeit in a modern design emphasizing usage of natural light. The staff appeared well groomed, quite modern and English speaking and most importantly very polite and efficient. The room, though not very spacious, was comfortable and had all modern amenities, including universal plug-points in multiple locations. The breakfast spread was good and service adequate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Suzhou, China
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night, but was able to use most of the facilities at the hotel.

The room I booked was part of the club floor package, which includes canapes and cocktails in the evening and breakfast in the morning all on the club floor. For a five star hotel stay, plus food and drinks included, it was definitely worth the money to stay on the club floor. The food was of a high standard and the view on the club floor was very good.

The room itself had a lovely and close view of the Bund. I would have loved the Oriental Pearl was a little difficult to see from our room but if you stood close to one end of the window it was in sight. I would have preferred a more central view, but it was still fairly good. The room had black out curtains which was great when we needed the extra sleep. The bathroom was as big as the sleeping area. It had a full sized bathtub and separate shower area. The bathroom had a shutter window the the bedroom, which seems common in China. It is not the best hotel room I have stayed in, within Shanghai, but it is still a very top quality hotel room.

Room service menu was fairly standard - I would have preferred more variety of foods, but the prices were reasonable.

The pool was a good size, however the jacuzzi was cold. There are separate male and female jacuzzis inside the changing rooms which were warm. If you are with your other half you would have to use the warm jacuzzis separately.

There is the View Bar in the hotel which is out of this world! As the name suggests, it is a bar with a view. It also features an outdoor Jacuzzi. The decor both inside and outside are stunning. As a staying guest at the hotel, you have no cover charge at the bar. I would recommend going to the bar even if you do not stay at the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were very good, as you would expect from a top hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
canada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is a convenient place to stay with all modern amenities you would expect from a Hyatt Hotel. Rooms are modern, spacious, have extra things available - like toothbrushes, cotton balls etc. International plug adaptors built in. Rooms have large windows. But the highlight was the breakfast buffet - full Chinese and American fare available - fun to try a bit of everything. Lots and lots to choose from - from bread and cheese, to eggs, to dumpings. The staff was very attentive with everything I needed. And the price was great! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of river and financial district.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed March 11, 2014

As my third time in Shanghai, I selected the Hyatt on the Bund for my rather short stay and was absolutely delighted by the service, facilities and location of the hotel. Upon arrival, I was recognised as a returning guest and the staff made me feel like I was coming home - that feels particularly good after an 11-hour flight! The room itself was spotless, roomy and well-conceived, and I still can't get over the size of the bathroom! The property is set on a very convenient location and enjoys splendid views over both sides of the river, especially from the Vue Bar. Due to the jet lag, I would wake up starving at 3am and the buffet breakfast was extremely varied and fresh, while the Chinese restaurant of the hotel, Xindalu, had the city's best peking roasted duck and other local specialities - a pure delight for foodies like me. All in all, a brilliant experience in all aspects, and I really cannot wait to get back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
berkshire
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I would endorse what others have said - wonderful views of the Bund, beautiful bathroom, reception staff, concierge, porters, all courteous and attentive, and we loved the water feature on the lower level. However, this lovely hotel is badly let down by both the food and the staff in the Aroma restaurant. On the afternoon we arrived, we just wanted a snack to keep us going - we waited 20 minutes for a luke warm, uninteresting, toasted sandwich, just placed on the plate, with not a single leaf or garnish. We foolishly ate there again in the evening, having the buffet, which we found very poor, and not hot. There was an assortment of cold salads, sauces, meats and shellfish, but I didn't feel tempted to try any of it, as it looked as if it had been standing for hours, and had not been refreshed at all. We had to pay a 15% service charge for a service which was minimal - staff was very disorganised, we waited ages for simple requests like some butter, a spoon, some coffee, and used plates and dishes were not cleared from the table. The choice at breakfast was better, but food only warm, and service no better than the previous day. Definitely more training required in Aroma, and for the prices charged, I would expect better quality food, better presentation, and a much improved service.

I would like to stay at the hotel again, but in view of the restaurant experience, would probably be inclined to try elsewhere. My high service rating exludes the Aroma restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor (we were on 21st), and facing the Bund, for fabulous views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
hyattonthebund, General Manager at Hyatt on the Bund, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank You for having chosen to stay at Hyatt on the Bund during your recent visit to Shanghai.

We thank you for all you kind comments and regret that your overall positive experience was marred by the disappointing service and food quality served at Aroma restaurant.

Please be assured that we will look into this matter seriously and that improvements will be made.

We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you better.

Sincerely yours

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I was accommodated in this hotel when our cruise ship had some damage and could not sail to Shanghai from Osaka, Japan. Instead, we flew from Kansai to Pudong airport and had a one-hour motor-coach ride to the Hyatt on the Bund.

Originally, I had expected to fly out of Shanghai as soon as we had docked so this stay was unplanned but added such a wonderful ending to my trip. The hotel was so relaxing that I never even saw Shanghai.

My King Room 0714 on the seventh floor had a perfectly lovely view of the river and the sky-scraper light show. The sliding wall design allows one to have a choice of a more open feel in the sink and bar area with glass-enclosures surrounding the toilet and separate bath/shower area. Alternately, that entire area can be closed off for privacy from the generously sized office.

This room could quite effectively be used to conduct business meetings or entertain as it is large and has lots of seating both at the desk and window. Wifi was available for purchase in 24 hour increments and worked really well throughout the facility.

Amenities include robes and slippers, high quality soap and shampoo products, other toiletries in a discreetly presented box, a heated marble countertop, minibar selections for purchase but with complimentary tea, coffee and bottled water as the hotel does not recommend drinking the water from the tap. There is not really a comfortable spot to do your make-up in the room but the spa dressing rooms provide a perfect venue for that.

The room was impeccably clean on the inside although the windows were caked with dirt from the inescapable Shanghai pollution.

The lower-lobby water features and gardens were a nice backdrop for relaxation. The juice-bar was a strange experience. Although the server was trying her best and was friendly and spoke perfect English, she seemed bewildered when I kept ordering things on the menu that were not actually offered…like frozen smoothies. She said: but it's winter…we cannot make iced drinks in winter.

For me, the best part of the trip was the spa facility. I was given a locker to use with a towel and shower slippers in the ladies' change room. All products including combs and body lotions, hair styling gel/dryers and toothbrush kits are provided.

The showers are large with both overhead rain-shower or hand-held sprays, shampoo, conditioner and body wash.

In the ladies' spa area, the steam room was heaven…some kind of eucalyptus or herbal oil had been added to the steam but it was not overpowering and the smell was pleasant. There was also a sauna, a hot tub, a cold plunge pool and chaises longues where you can rest.

The pool is huge and was hardly used when I visited. I was the only one there for a good thirty minutes.

Attendants are ever-present to refill the supplies, refresh your towel, help to dry your bathing suit in the spinner or keep the place as clean and comfortable as possible.

There was quiet music playing and I can honestly say that it was the best way to relax before heading back home on a 13 hour + flight.

Dining at the Xindalu restaurant, I had the incredible Peking Duck and sizzling eggplant for dinner and a chicken lunch the next day. However, although the food is excellent, the service and poor seating put a damper on my experience.

The circular centre booth is uncomfortable with no back support and you have to sit right at the edge to reach the table, I switched to a chair but my feet couldn't reach the floor. Waitresses tend to rush around which does not make for pleasant dining and the at-table duck carving chef basically startled me out of my skin by sneaking up behind me and yelling "Ni-hao" in my ear.

It might just have been culture shock after having spent two-weeks in super-quiet Japan and on a luxury cruise ship.

On the other hand, the breakfast buffet at Aroma on the 2nd floor was a delicious, unforgettable experience of both Asian and Western foods. It was a foodie-dream!

Overall, the hotel stay was one of the best surprises of my life and I would recommend the Hyatt on the Bund for a relaxing retreat!

Room Tip: Ladies, get ready for dinner in the spa! The set-up is much better to do hair and make-up than in th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Rogue_Wave_Traveler
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Being in china on business I was very pleased with my hotel stay. It was very clean and the staff were very efficient. The spa was good, but most of all I loved the water in the lower lobby!!!!!! The only downside was the outside of the windows were black from dirt and hasn't been cleaned but that could be since there's alot of smoke from ships in the area.

• Stayed February 2014