“Perfect location, Perfect service, Perfect Hotel”
Review of Hyatt on the Bund

Hyatt on the Bund
Ranked #55 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Yangzhong, China
“Perfect location, Perfect service, Perfect Hotel”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel is centrally located and very convenient to all major locations. The rooms are spacy and provides everything that one need during a business stay. Always comfortable beds, chairs, proper desk for work (usually incl. ruler, pen, pencil, etc.)... and all that with a nice view on the Bund!
The staff is very attentively from the first minute when your taxi door is openend by the concierge until the last minute when you have to leave again.
By the way, have a look to the gorgeous VUE bar.

1 Thank Ralph R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

From check in to check out I cannot recommend the Hyatt on the Bund enough!
The Customer Service is excellent.

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to the Horizon Club which was great as I was traveling on my own. I felt really comfortable sitting in the lounge. I will defiantly stay here on my return to Shanghai.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 24, 2014

good quality 5 star hotel with a bund view, the room was pretty good in terms of space and therefore was as expected. Comfortable and quiet, so I think it was good value for money.

Service is impeccable from the hotel staff.

Restaurant was not entirely convincing for a couple of reasons, first there was a table reservation policy which did seem that some tables intended for large parites were placed in more nicer spots of the floor. Also thought that the amount of staff stood around watching guests was a bit uncomfortable, however the food was good.

Overall, a good quality 5 start hotel in Shanghai.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Splurged on a river view king bed suite and was not disappointed -- one of the great views in the world, without exaggeration. The view of both the Bund and the Pudong skyline is incredible. The suite was enormous and furnished very nicely. (Loved the blinds for the windows that could be raised and lowered via a switch next to the bed.) Excellent food from all the places we tried (room service, Aroma restaurant, and Xindalu restaurant). Excellent service from all the staff with one big exception: the staff in the Aroma restaurant is pretty clueless and makes eating there a frustrating experience despite the excellent food.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We arrive in Shanghai early evening from a flight from Melbourne and cannot be more impressed with the pleasant and helpful greeting we received on checking in. We had the facilities of the hotel explained to us and realised what a great booking we had made. We upgraded to a fabulous room with an great view of the Bund and Shanghai. During our stay we were impressed with the superb and helpful staff throughout the hotel.

Natalie who helped us when we checked in was a credit to the Hyatt and having travelled all over the world we had what can only be a first class welcome.

We dined at the hotel and this was great and the Executive Chef even found time to talk to us and highlight the brilliant menu and restaurant.

great stay and would always return to this hotel, which is so well placed for a visit to Shanghai.

Ken and Shirley McArdle

Room Tip: try for a high floor - it is worth it
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 21, 2014

COST AND ARRANGEMENT

I paid $190 cash for the first night in a King Room (lowest rate room) and then used a suite upgrade certificate for that night (which took me to a Bund Suite River View King). I used a Hyatt free night cert for the second night, and used 15k points for the third night. I was hoping they would keep me in the suite for all three nights (I have Platinum status) but they wouldn't agree to that without charging me CNY 575 for each of night two and three (aprox $94 USD extra per night). After seeing the room, I agreed to the additional CNY 1150 upcharge (aprox $188 USD total).

The suite certificate upgraded me to the "Bund Suite River View King," but the upcharge would only get me to a Bund Suite (identical setup, but not on as high of a floor. View was still good on the suite on the 8th floor, but not as much privacy because of low buildings (about 4 stories tall) across the street. After some convincing with a manager, they let me stay in the higher floor.

CLUB LOUNGE / AMENITIES

CLUB - As a suite guest you are invited to enjoy evening cocktails and heavy hors d'oeuvres at the Bund Club lounge. You also get continental breakfast in the morning in the Bund Club, or you can go to the main buffet breakfast at the Aroma restaurant if you want the full buffet. Both breakfast options are complimentary for suite guests. The hors d'oeuvres in the lounge are heavy enough to call an easy and free dinner. I ate them the first night and was full and happy. I snacked their and enjoyed a few drinks on nights two and three before having a true dinner elsewhere.

GYM - The gym is huge and clean. It's easily the largest hotel gym I've ever seen (6 treadmills, 5 ellipticals, some bikes, a rower, lots of weight machines, free weights, class/yoga room, etc). It wasn't very busy when I was there, but the hotel only had about 100 guests at the time. I never had an issue getting any machines or weights during my three visits during the stay. There is also a pool and hot tub for both men and women, and then in the men's locker room there's a men's only hot tub, men's only sauna, and men's only steam room. Women's locker room may have a similar setup but I'm not sure.

WATER - You're not supposed to drink the water at the hotel (not sure why), so complimentary bottled water is on hand throughout and plentiful. In the rooms, in the gym, the lounge, restaurants, etc. There was never a shortage of bottled water.

WIFI - Wifi in the hotel room was easy to connect to and only made me login again every 24 hours. It never kicked me off outside of those 24-hour re-accept-the-terms landing page times. You're in China, so you're dealing with the Great Firewall even at the hotel. If you want to access Facebook, Twitter, or a host of other sites, you'll need a VPN client on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.

ROOM

The Bund Suite River View King is over the top amazing. An insane view during the day, and when you look out at night the city surprises you by completely changing and coming to life with dramatic lighting. The rooms are huge and gorgeous, but it's the view that makes them spectacular. I had an insane view at the Park Hyatt Sydney, but this view is different (very metropolitan), and equally spectacular in its own way.

The combo rain head & wall spigot shower in the bathroom was fantastic and huge. Tub has a great view and is big, but would probably take 30 minutes to fill up. I filled it about 2 inches in 5 minutes and then gave up and went to the pool/gym facilities.

The bed was extremely comfortable, as you'd expect for any luxury hotel. The buttons controlling the lighting and "Do Not Disturb" buttons next to each nightstand have a little green LED light on them that is WAY too bright. I had to cover them up with paper because they lit up the entire nightstand at night and would keep me awake. It's a weird design choice that should probably be changed at some point.

There was absolutely a shortage of electrical outlets in the room, particularly around the bed. There was one under each nightstand but it's not meant for guests (completely filled with hotel alarm clock, phone, etc) and in an awkward spot. The TV's outlet is built inside the cabinet, so it's not accessible. The desk and bathroom have easy outlets, but that's not as convenient if you want your cell phone near you while you sleep.

Overall the finishes are clean and modern, but the craftsmanship of the construction just wasn't as nice as the Park Hyatt Sydney. I could easily find little issues (uneven or not-pristine grout lines, buzzing floor lamp power supply, a plastic light switch not firmly attached to the wall, etc). None of these were huge issues, but they all show a lower construction and maintenance standard than what I experienced at the Park Hyatt Sydney.

There are only 5 english language TV channels (as I recall), but I found that's not uncommon in China. CNN, BBC, CNBC, HBO, and Cinemax were all accessible, but there was a tracking/static issue for about 24 hours during my stay that was affecting all of the english channels in the hotel (even on the gym treadmill TVs). I assume it was an issue with the satellite and the rare snowfall they were getting.

SERVICE

The service at the hotel was great. It wasn't on par with the Park Hyatt Sydney (my only other luxury Hyatt experience), but it was still great. The only particularly memorable and "unique" experience was Head Butler Jimmy Ji graciously giving me a tour of the suite, the regular room (which I decided against staying in), and the club and restaurant amenities. Jimmy's english is fantastic. Other staff in the club were able to speak some english, but there was little to no barrier when needing to communicate with Jimmy. He was also prompt and responsible, and even gave me his cell phone number in case I had any issues while he was off on his weekend.

Jimmy heavily recommended the Peking Duck in the hotel's Xindalu Restaurant. I found it also heavily recommend online (tripadvisor and various other sites) so I decided to try it. Reservations are recommended, and it's as easy as a quick call from your room. I had no problem getting in for an 8pm reservation set just a few hours earlier (but again, the hotel wasn't very full during my stay).

The booths in the restaurant are ABSURD. The tables are 8-12 inch higher than westerners would be used to, even though the booth cushion is at normal height. Everyone sitting in a booth looked like a little kid trying to reach their place setting. It sounds random but it was so awkward and you'll know it as soon as you sit down. I sat for a minute and then had to request one of the free-standing table and chairs because I knew I couldn't handle it (it was way too uncomfortable). The food though - was fantastic. The duck there was better here than what I had in Beijing.

LOCATION

The hotel is not isolated from stuff, it's just not likely near much that you care about. A taxi to the downtown (across the river from the Bund) might be of interest, and although I didn't take one, I would guess would've been $10-$15 USD. If you leave the hotel on foot and walk 10 minutes you're at "The Bund" and have another amazing view of the city. I made an afternoon of walking this area and exploring some of the establishments a few blocks into the city (walking in the direction away from the river). There's also a subway station in that area that takes you under the river and into the heart of the city.

TRANSPORTATION

When I arrived at PVG airport I took the bullet train to the end (aprox 180mph for 7 minutes or so) and then walked around aimlessly trying to find the taxi line (the signage tried to make it easy but kept disappearing at the critical times). I eventually found a taxi and took it to the hotel, but I probably should've just taken a taxi straight from the airport. NOTE - taxi drivers have a hard time with addresses that have been translated to english. If you tell them "Hyatt on the Bund" or "199 Huang Pu Road, Shanghai" they probably won't know where to go. Instead, show them these characters, which is the address in chinese: "上海市虹口区黄浦路上海外滩茂悦大酒店"

When I left the hotel to go back to PVG to leave Shanghai, the bellmen outside hailed me a cab and sent me on my way to the airport. I don't recall exactly, but I think the ride took 50-60 minutes and cost around $50 USD. I would recommend cabbing to/from the airport. It's not worth the hassle of the bullet train and taxi hunting from the end of the station, especially if you're traveling with anyone or a big bag to haul around. Just cab it.

WRAP UP

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt on the Bund. The service was good, the room was spectacular, and the view was insanely amazing. For the points and out of pocket cash I spent (aprox $380 USD total for 3 nights), this was a fantastic deal in my mind. The club was great, the breakfast buffet in the main restaurant was huge, plentiful, and delicious (...and FREE as a suite guest). I recommend this hotel and would absolutely consider staying here again if I return to Shanghai at some point.

Room Tip: The Bund Suite River View King is over the top amazing. View was still good on the suite on the 8th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank jacisme
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My wife and I visited Shanghai during the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival week 4th to 7th Feb 2014. This was our first visit to Shanghai and were recommended by a friend to stay at the Hyatt on the Bund. All I can say is that I'd recommend the same to anyone.

Location & View: The Hotel is not your run-of-the-mill budget stays, but it's worth the price you pay. I'm sure there are views in other hotels on both sides of the Bund in Shanghai, but we loved what we got. The first day or so was clear skies and amazing sites right from the room. The location in itself was the major reasons for the stay here in Shanghai. To top it off their 'Vu' bar on the 32nd floor gave more panoramic views of the city skyline.

Staff & Service: They were prompt and pleasant in their interactions all through our stay. Every conversation or request was keenly attended, it gave us a feeling that the hotel is not occupied to capacity - this assumption was shot when we went to the buffet breakfast in the morning, the hotel was pretty well occupied. Good Job Staff!!!

Amenities: All the basics as expected, and the staff was attentive enough to lend us umbrellas in the oh-so-unpredictable Shanghai weather. Would've loved if they could have free basic-bicycles to lend as well, it would've been really convenient. Hyatt Team - I'm sure a relatively small investment will make the stay a little more pleasant for the guests. It was too cold for us to pack swimwear, hence were not prepared to check out their heated pool - maybe next time!

Food: We ended up exploring the food in Shanghai so all we had at the hotel was their Breakfast and it was delightful. Great range of options and attentiveness to the guests was as expected from the hotel of this stature

Final word: Loved the stay, will come by again.

Room Tip: Tip: get a room on the higher floor, even a view of the Pudong area is great. Also signup for the Hy...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple