We arrived (myself , two English and a Chinese colleague) mid afternoon and my Chinese colleague presented our (confirmed) bookings. The hotel staff refused to honour the rate and it took a good half hour of arguing and telephone calls before they begrudgingly gave us the rate we had booked at (through an agency). Had we not had our Chinese colleague with us we would have been forced into accepting the higher (much higher) charges. My Chinese colleagues theory over this is that he had been given the 'Chinese' rate and that when the staff saw that the party was mostly comprised of westeners then they decided there was some more money to be had ! We eventually got rooms at the Club Level (Floor 36 and above) for around 1600 RMB per night.
The rooms were of course excellent although the internet access (I think we had this free but the standard rate is about 120 RMB per day) was completely useless being very very slow (timed out on most attempted access to web pages)
The restaurant we used ('Feast') was OK but nearly empty all night. The waitress refused to serve me my choice of starter and main as I had picked a main course that included soup. She said it was too much food and I would not be able to eat it ! Well as it happens I'm used to deciding (especially if I'm paying) how much I wan't to eat all by myself (really , ever since the age of about 7 !) As it happens I was hungry later on and had to order (an expensive) burger from room service. Was she only trying to be helpful or maybe joking .... difficult to tell.
Location is quite a way from the tourist bits but that was OK for us as we had a local to take us around. There is also a subway stop very close to the hotel but we didn't try this.
The view at night is fantastic from the upper floors of the hotel.
Maid service was faultles and friendly
All in all a nice hotel but expensive and there are lots of other nice hotels in Shanghai
On a final note , although the hotel provides two bottles of free water they have bottles of Evian in the rooms. These are charged at 780RMB per bottle. Yes that's GBP 8.0 or USD13 !! This is not unusual for hotels in china though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In central Pudong, metro station nearby and luxury hotel with 24h fitness center. Convenient location. In central Pudong business area, close to Int'l Exhibition Center,EXPO Center and Mercedes-Benz Arena. Easy access to places of interests both in Puxi and Pudong through Nanpu Bridge. Metro station is 1-min away. Dining and Leisure: Hotel features an indoor pool, 24-hour fitness center and a fully-service spa. Besides 2 restaurants and lobby lounge at Sheraton, guests could also sign bills at Four Points next door in restaurants and bar. Modern-equipped Guestroom: All spacious rooms are equipped with Sheraton Sweet Sleeper™ Beds, 32-inch LCD TV, mini bar, direct-dial telephones with voicemail, Internet and safebox to have laptop. Bathroom with separate bathtub and shower. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Starwood APAC, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Shanghai Hotel And Residences Pudong
- Sheraton Shanghai Hotel Residences Pudong
- Shanghai Sheraton