“Nice hotel but ......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #82 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Swindon UK
“Nice hotel but ......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2009

We arrived (myself , two English and a Chinese colleague) mid afternoon and my Chinese colleague presented our (confirmed) bookings. The hotel staff refused to honour the rate and it took a good half hour of arguing and telephone calls before they begrudgingly gave us the rate we had booked at (through an agency). Had we not had our Chinese colleague with us we would have been forced into accepting the higher (much higher) charges. My Chinese colleagues theory over this is that he had been given the 'Chinese' rate and that when the staff saw that the party was mostly comprised of westeners then they decided there was some more money to be had ! We eventually got rooms at the Club Level (Floor 36 and above) for around 1600 RMB per night.

The rooms were of course excellent although the internet access (I think we had this free but the standard rate is about 120 RMB per day) was completely useless being very very slow (timed out on most attempted access to web pages)

The restaurant we used ('Feast') was OK but nearly empty all night. The waitress refused to serve me my choice of starter and main as I had picked a main course that included soup. She said it was too much food and I would not be able to eat it ! Well as it happens I'm used to deciding (especially if I'm paying) how much I wan't to eat all by myself (really , ever since the age of about 7 !) As it happens I was hungry later on and had to order (an expensive) burger from room service. Was she only trying to be helpful or maybe joking .... difficult to tell.

Location is quite a way from the tourist bits but that was OK for us as we had a local to take us around. There is also a subway stop very close to the hotel but we didn't try this.

The view at night is fantastic from the upper floors of the hotel.

Maid service was faultles and friendly

All in all a nice hotel but expensive and there are lots of other nice hotels in Shanghai

On a final note , although the hotel provides two bottles of free water they have bottles of Evian in the rooms. These are charged at 780RMB per bottle. Yes that's GBP 8.0 or USD13 !! This is not unusual for hotels in china though.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SHSHE, Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Online Marketing Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
Dear McGuinty,

Sicerely thanks for choosing Sheraton Shanghai Hotel, Pudong for your stay in Shanghai!

On behalf of hotel management team and entire staff, I would like to sincerely apology that your stay with us was not up to your expectations, assuring you that all negative comments noted have been taken seriously into consideration.

Once again my deepest thanks and appreciation for having the time to write down your constructive comments and for your understanding.

I do look forward to welcoming you again soon at our Hotel where we do assure you exerting our utmost efforts to make your next stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.

Life is better when shared!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

Staying here on business and delighted with the accomadation. My room is large, very well appointed with an excellent bathroom/shower room arrangement.

I stay in hotels every week, so i know what's good or bad, this one certainly put a smile on my face.

During my stay i had room service three times and each time it was with me within 30mins on one occasion in just 15mins! Still piping hot and well cooked or chilled whatever it was.

My only one small negative comment would be about the staff in the bar on my first night at the hotel. They didn't smile or seem pleased to have our business, which is very unlike all the other staff i crossed paths with. Considering if is very dear to drink out here i didn't feel we got our monies worth there.

Definately recommend this hotel, lovely restful stay, thank you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SHSHE, Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Online Marketing Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, December 14, 2009
Dear AiryTraveller,

Sharing is invited!

Thank you very much for your nice comments on our room service and we are very delighted to learn you enjoyed staying with us. For the staff in the bar, we feel sorry for not smiling at you and we have arranged trainings to improve our service level. Thanks again for your nice advice!

Sincerely expect to meet you in Sheraton Pudong for the next time. Because You don’t just stay. You belong.
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

This hotel is quite well decorated except the location is quite far away from the tourist spots. Nevertheless, it's fine if you're prepared to take the subway which is close to the hotel. However, the conciege staff's service is really bad and not helpful at all. The waiters' service is also poor at the restaurant. Also, it's a shame that guests are required to beg for 3 pcs of paper each time for PC printers located at the lobby. One more minor thing is its mattress is a bit hard that's not as comfortable as the other Sheraton.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Dear CChanHK,

Thanks for choosing Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel for your stay in Shanghai. Please accept our sincere apologies that your stay with us was not up to your satsifaction, assuring you that corrective action has been taken with regards to the negative points mentioned in your comments.

Once again my sincere apologies. Looking forward to welcoming you always at the Sheraton Pudong Hotel.
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

Not something you would expect from a hotel branded with the "Sheraton" logo.
Its either they are still on their way to getting up to what international travelers expect of the Sheraton, or management really doesn't care.

Below are the reasons why I couldn't recommend anyone to stay at the Sheraton Pudong.
- Arrival
As I arrived at the Sheraton Complex, my driver made a mistake and took me to the "Four Points by Sheraton" instead of the Sheraton Pudong. The porter at the Four Points was attentive, opened my door and was quick to service. I told him I was staying at the Sheraton Pudong, he kindly directed the taxi to the correct driveway.
To my surprise, the Porter at the Sheraton Pudon was too busy chatting with his colleague, I had to flag him down so that he could help me with my bags. When I asked him if this was the Sheraton Pudong, he replied "I don't speak English"

- Check-in
The lady at the check-in counter was either having a bad day or Chinese customs is to be cold to arriving customers. No smiles or thank you's were given. A very dry check-in. She did not even explain where the porter took my bags and who/where I was supposed to ask to get it delivered to my room until I asked her about it.

- Room
The rooms were decorated in a very nice matter. However, the details of the room finish were not what I expected. A lot of things were bolted/glued on crooked (like the faucet and the showerhead); it got me worrying about the construction of the building it self.

However, housekeeping and other services were up to standards except the fact that when people come to deliver things to your room, (I guess since they do not speak English) they just grunt and hand you what is supposed to be delivered.

- Breakfast
Service is HORRIBLE. First day, I was served a GLASS of hot tea, when others were given mugs. Not is that only weird but also dangerous!! Second day, someone gave away my seat while I was at the buffet. It took the restaurant forever to find me a seat, clear the table (which they only half cleaned). I had plates in my hand, no one offered to help me while I was waiting for a seat to be made.

- Check out
I used the in-room internet (for a fee). However, at check out they told me that no charges were on the room... nice that I didn't have to pay for it but, worries me that the reverse could happen.

- Bell service
I was advised to reserve a taxi since I was leaving at a busy time in the morning (9:00AM). The morning I was leaving, the bell desk/ concierge was so busy that no one was available to help me to retrieve my reservation. I decided to walk to the curb and ask the porter for the taxi that I reserved. The porter just asked for a room number (he has no documents to check if I was the correct person), then he asks where I was headed.... I had already given all details of my destination when I made my reservation. I bet that no reservation information was relayed to the porter and that I was just lucky that I didn't have to wait for a taxi.

The verdict: the building it self is nice but expect motel 6 style hospitality. I stayed at the Intercontinental Pudong last year and had a waaaaaaay better experience. I recommend staying there instead if you are heading for Pudong.

Sheraton, you really need to work on that hotel. Its a venue with a world class name and building but with negative service. If you're like this now, whats going to happen during the Expo??

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank YSAKURAI1
Dear YSAKURAI1 ,

On behalf of Sheraton Shanghai Hotel, Pudong's Management and entir staff, I would like to extend our sincere Thank You for choosing our hotel for your esteemed stay in Shanghai.

We do regret to say that your stay with us was not up to your expectations, assuring you that points raised have been taken seriously into our management team consideration, with a series action been taken with regards to all negative comments mentioned.

Again, thanks for your time for posting your contructive feedback and your comments. We look forward to welcoming you again in a soon time in our hotel where we do assure you exerting our utmost efforts to make your more warm, comfortable and enjoyable.

You Don't Just Stay. You Belong!
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

Very good quality hotel. large room, good service, good breakfast. Just a DVD reader missing and it would be perfect.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
SHSHE, Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Online Marketing Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, November 11, 2009
Dear Sebbelgium,

Sharing is invited!

Thank you for your time to share your experience staying with us. You highly positive comments re our hotel is truly encouraging! We are looking forward to your 3rd stay with us in a soon time!

Because you don't just stay! You Belong!
Suwon, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

Arriving in Shanghai today our group of 7 took a taxi to the Four Points by Sheraton where we had reserved 5 rooms. Upon arrival we were told that there were no rooms available. I was very surprised because we had our confirmation papers with us.

The Four Points staff told us that they would put us in the Sheraton Hotel nearby. We walked to the hotel and started to check-in. I was then informed that there were no rooms with king sized beds available. As I am particular about my bed due to back issues, I had reserved a king sized bed. Through some discussion I was placed in a smoking room (25th floor) with double beds. The room was very adequate with a nice view (but small window), but the beds were small.

After 4 "back-n-forth" phone calls I was given a room with a king bed (12 floor). However, take a look at the view (in the photo). I get to look at another hotel directly out my window. Do not book this hotel expecting a nice view... even if you ask for it (as I did).

One thing that I really look for in a 5-star hotel is a super bed experience... I like to sleep well and expect the best, plush beds... this Sheraton doesn't have great beds.

It is only my first day here and the room is decent. The check-in problems were frustrating as I was on a timeline for completing some work in the afternoon.

I am hopeful my experience from this point will improve. So far I would suggest considering another hotel.

Other comments:
* No wireless internet access
* Very limited snack options in minibar
* There is a French Press in the room for making coffee (this is terrific!)
* In-room dining choices are limited and may only be for a very specific/limited palate: Goose liver??? Mushroom & Jelly Fish sald???

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying in Sheraton Shanghai Hotel & Residence, Pudong!

We sincerely apologize that we had not well arrange your room according to your preferences, since our hotel was either in fully booked situation when you were upgraded from Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong.

This is definitely not an excuse and we’ll review this matter seriously with related departments as soon as possible; I believe that we could coordinate and organize our guest stay experience better in the future, especially in the fully booked situation happened in this Complex Hotels.

Our sincerely apologize again and thank you for your understanding; we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

We very much enjoyed our stay of 4 days here. The breakfast "buffet" has to be seen to be believed. Various stations offer Japanese, Chinese cuisine, an egg station, juices, quality breads and jams, fruit galore etc.etc. offering a great start to the day. We lucked into incredible rates for our stay but they are probaly VERY competitive for a hotel of this class - it is a Sheraton class hotel as opposed to Chinese class/designed/constructed hotel with a western branded management. Of great benefit is the metro stop being right at the door of the hotel - so although the hotel is off the beaten tourist track, the subway makes it accessible to anywhere very conveniently - and it is nice at night to land at your doorstep.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paulhenToronto
SHSHE, Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Online Marketing Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Dear PaulhenToronto,

Life is better when shared!

Thanks for sharing with everyone your wonderful experience in our hotel! Your comments have been delivered to our team who are really inspired by your kind words.

We expect to welcome you back in the short time and connect your memory with us again!

You Don't Just Stay, You Belong!