“Only 4 stars due to poor internet quality”

Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
Ranked #92 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Only 4 stars due to poor internet quality”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is beautiful. Very modern, clean, spacious, and great service. The restaurant provided a fantastic breakfast every morning with a tremendous amount of options. At least 6 different stations from hot western items, chinese options, pastries, to fresh fruit and juices. The staff was pleasant and very attentive.

This hotel has the potential to be ideal for business travelers once the internet problems are fixed. I was there for 4 days and every day it took almost 20 minutes to get my laptop connected to the internet using the LAN access which is completely unacceptable. I understand that the hotel is working on adding WiFi in the guest rooms but they also need to take a hard look at their provider and connection speeds.

Overall this is a very high end hotel with exceptional rooms, service and convenience to public transportation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time tocomplete the our online questionnaire.

Judging from the scores you’ve rated, we may have failed in meeting your expectations in the area of Internet speed and connection. It is regrettable that we missed this opportunity to impress you by our Sheraton service. If Possible, I would very much appreciate if you could share some details that you rated in order for us to investigate the root cause & improve immediately.

Again, I must apologize for the inconvenience you endured. I know we can do better therefore I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Of course, if I can assist in future bookings please do not hesitate to contact me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had a very nice stay at the Sheraton Pudong. The room was nice and spacy, service was good, breakfast buffet was phantastic. The only thing that should be improved is the internet access. There is no WiFi in the rooms (LAN only) and internet access is often a bit bumpy. Apart from that I can't complain at all.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a river view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your candid comments.

With regards to the internet service at the hotel we completely agree. We are currently working on upgrading our facilities to ensure we have High Speed Wireless available in all rooms and public areas. We plan to have this project completed within the next two months.

Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I along with my few business colleagues visited China in May 2012.
We had a schedule to visit different sea ports of China and Hong Kong.
Sheraton Shanghai Hotel Pudong was our first destination in China.
We stayed there for two nights, The rooms are spacious and very comfortable.
Quality and variety of food was excellent and I did not regret staying away from home in a room closer to sky. The only thing that I did miss was my spouse who was left behind in my country due to our kids education. We have planned to re visit this place in vacations with our four kids.
I was delighted to see people from around the world who were enjoying their stay at this hotel.
Staff was so courteous and cooperative but there was a communication barrier that is to be looked into.
Services provided in the executive lounge were superb.The buffet breakfast is great, but the place got very crowded at certain times that causes reduced comfort level.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter but Corner suites are large and sunny and equally good to stay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residence and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to complete our online questionnaire.

I was very pleased to learn from the scores that you rated us, even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features, especially in language skills.

If there are any associates or event made you feel special during your stay, Please also kindly to share with us, it would be pleasure to convey your comments to my colleagues and recognize their efforts.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit. .

Thank you once again.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel is in good upkeep and decoration. The staff is attentive, but not overly smothering. No internet WiFi in the room is invconvient. Restaurant and room service food is good. Western food is fine for those first time visitors to China. Chinese restaurant in house is good and authentic. Location is not close to much business or attraction, however it has a Metro station at the hotel making travel via subway easy and taxis are almost always plentiful.

Room Tip: Choose the club level rooms to take advantage of the executive lounge food and drink. Breakfast in t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 17, 2013

Playa Vista, California, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that I stay at a lot of SPG properties throughout North America and Asia. Hotel Quality is awesome. Beautiful, modern, warm and inviting. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Per the other reviews, there is only Internet in the Lobby and in the Executive lounge. The connection is spotty but usable but they definitely need to get Wireless in the room! Gym is very nice and extremely sufficient as well as the long/large lap pool. We attended a tradeshow here and the hotel's location is convenient for business as it's located in Pu Dong and around the business centre of the city. Very convenient access to the Subway line 4 Tan Qiao. If you want to be in the middle of the action of restaurants and fun, Pu Xi is the way to go. I'm a platinum and had breakfast and cocktail/happy hour everyday during my stay. The food was very good. Selection was pretty good, quality was way above my expectations and the staff in the Executive lounge, perfect. I hope the hotel commends their Executive Lounge staff, because their service and attention made the bad stuff I mention below tolerable. The happy hour food is substantial enough that you could get away with just eating there for dinner if you didn't want a full meal. It probably has something to do with the fact that it's "hotel and residences" so the lounge and staff are associated with both sides. Either way, you will not be disappointed with their executive lounge here. Check in was quick but the staff member helping, although courteous, screwed up my account (or the system was messed up) because I was listed at Gold and not platinum which I've been for years. I had to show my platinum card. Things happen but I really don't think that it's OK for the hotel to make a mistake like this, only because it does effect the amenities that I receive. Another staff member noticed that they were having problems so asked me just just go up to the room first while they rectify the issue; which they did. It's just odd to me how something so simple can be messed up. Another thing the hotel messed up was the room I booked came with a 90 minute massage. When I went to use it at the SPA, the SPA said they needed a coupon from the front desk. During check in, the staff member didn't give me a coupon nor did he confirm that I had the massage. Long story short I spent about 20 minutes waiting for them to confirm and the front desk almost had to have me pull up my reservation confirmation. They, again, had me just go in and get the service while they sorted it out. The last negative thing is that after 60 minutes, some lady kept coming in and out of the room and telling me its 60 minutes and I explained again the situation so they kept going; but the massage was interrupted 2 more times in the last 30 minutes; which wasted it. My point, is that the hotel really needs to try to have their records straight and do a better job of managing the situation. I expected more out of the hotel in terms of execution, operationally. Overall I recommend this hotel in general and I hope they button up little things operationally because if they want my business on-going I do expect some of the above to run more smoothly.

Room Tip: Great executive lounge, great staff in executive lounge. Very nice Sheraton in general. Some opera...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, January 7, 2013

Judging from the scores you’ve rated us, we may have failed in meeting your expectations in the area of smooth communication with operation teams. It is regrettable that we missed this opportunity to impress you by our Sheraton service. With regards to the SPG recoginition and SPA service, We will double check and go through with related department.

Mr. darkfiber, please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you. I know that we can do better, so please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist in future bookings.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent two weeks at the Residences portion of the hotel. The suites there are spacious, and include a kitchen area (also with washing machine), separate bedroom and a great bathroom (puts most European and North American hotel bathrooms to shame, but for Shanghai that's about par I suppose). The buffet breakfast is great, but the place got very crowded at certain times. The fitness room is adequate and was not crowded most of the time. The check-in counter gets crowded sometimes and wait is long. There really is no excuse for not having in-room wifi, which is the main problem with this otherwise great hotel. The lobby wifi works, but is sometimes slow and patchy, and is not a great setting to get work done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank m5893_tripad

Ashland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

If you have a reason to stay in Pudong, then this hotel represents an excellent choice. As SPG platinum members, we were instantly and without asking upgraded to a suite without even asking. The bathroom was amazing... A beautiful free standing bathtub and separate rain shower and amazing views. The room has gorgeous curves throughout and fabulous curtains... Incredibly recommended. The view of the river and the bund from the lavishly stocked club lounge was the best I can imagine.

• Stayed December 2012
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay again and spent valuable time to give us your valuable comments.

I was very pleased to learn from our guest satisfaction survey that you rated us,even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit again.

Thank you once again.