“Very nice stay”

Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
Ranked #90 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Very nice hotel. My room was very big with a fantastic bed, quality bedding, and great pillows. Excellent shower room and efficient toiletries.

The a/c also worked very well --which is a concern sometimes when in China.

Internet is expensive at RMB 100 per day (US$16) or RMB 50 ($8) for one hour, by cable only. Wi-fi is only available in the common areas. In the wi-fi era, for a business hotel, cable and wi-fi internet should be free or at least a little more reasonable.

I did not eat at the hotel's restaurants but ordered room service. The response was very good and the order taking was painless. To be very particular, I ordered ceasar salad with dressing on the side (twice) and each time, the lettuce was very wet, dripping water. At least it was washed, right? but it was good and prompt.

The service at the check-in/out was efficient. For the first time in the many years of traveling and staying in numerous hotels in China, it didn't take very long to process.

Concierge staff is excellent and I must congratulate the hotel because even the bellhops spoke clear English.

Hotel also offers their own hotel taxis which can be arranged up to 2 hours in advance. I suggest you consider taking a hotel taxi if you are pressed for time in the morning. The traffic in Shanghai is demonic and taxi supply dwindles. Waiting time is more than 45 minutes. This is not Sheraton's fault. But, do consider hotel transportation; it is not very cheap but it will take you where you need to be in style, in a clean car, and with a competent, responsible, driver. Money well spent. You'll thank me for this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your valuable comments.

I was very pleased to learn from our guest satisfaction survey that you rated us,even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

I would like to take the opportunity for recognizing the efforts of our Front Office colleagues; it was a pleasure to convey your comments to them.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences

Reviewed October 27, 2012

It has been 3 years since I stayed at this hotel and it seems pretty much unchanged; it is still a very nice hotel. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Get as high up as you can, the view from the rooms is very good. The bathroom area is quite large and there is a nice desk working area. I enjoy the breakfast buffet and think it has an excellent selection, something I remember from 3 years ago too. I did not eat lunch or dinner at the hotel so I can’t comment on those meals. I found the check in/out staff very courteous but also felt it took longer than it should. If you are a Starwood Guest member, there is a very nice club area on the 37th floor with an excellent view of the city and light food and refreshments. I chose to stay at this hotel both times and will chose it again on my next trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Generally speaking, the hotel is located in a convenient spot in Pudong, Shanghai. It is not too far from Lujiazui or EXPO park. The restroom is very spacious and the bed is big. However, the bed is not so comfortable as guaranteed. Perhaps it just doesn't fit me.

The lobby is somewhat old fashioned, but the Gym is new. It's a good location, but lack of inspiration.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

The complex is located in Pudong with a very convenient transportation. Metro line 4 is within 1-min walkaway. It takes only 10-min to Lujiazui and Expo, even within several minutes can arrive at Exhibition center.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed for 3 days in October 2012 for a business trip. Check-in was efficient and fuss free. The room was moderate size and complete. The only missing was wifi in the room (I brought my ipad and could not connect to the internet cable). While the location of the hotel is a bit off the usual tourist attractions, access was easy and taxis readily available. There was the usual breakfast spread and the availability of the local newspapers there was a nice addition.

The shopping centre next door was welcomed as we arrived late and could pop in for a quick lunch.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel and Residenceand Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your candid comments.

With regards to the internet service at the hotel we completely agree. We are currently working on upgrading our facilities to ensure we have High Speed Wireless available in all rooms and public areas.

Again, I must apologize for the inconvenience you endured. I know we can do better therefore I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Of course, if I can assist in future bookings please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I’m usually very happy with the Starwood Group hotels but this time in the Sheraton / Pudong was different. I travel alot in Asia and mainly use the Sheraton if possible because the package they offer usually satisfies me to 100%

I stayed at the Sheraton Pudong a few times and it was always nice and pleasant.
The last visit was very different. When I say different I mean the way Sheraton personnel was treating me as a customer. If we consider that this hotel is a five star place
the treatment was very close to insulting. The only nice and friendly person I found was the Thai Lady who gave me a massage at the SPA.

Just to give you some samples. I’m a Gold member and when I arrived I used the special check-in line for members. The time I arrived it was usual
business meaning there were not many people waiting for check-in.
The guy at the reception did not even say hello, no smile , nothing. I asked him directly if people do not great new customers when they arrive at their hotel.
Response: Sorry, yes we do, but I’m very busy. At this moment there were 2 customers waiting for check-in!!!

Roomservice: I called for a Pizza and a Coke. 10 min later “ Sorry Sir we have no Pizza”, ok than I ordered something else. Another 5 min later another call “Sorry Sir
we have no Coke, please use the one in the Mini Bar.
Next day, still no Pizza available. These things can happen but the way they talked to me on the phone was simply not acceptable. I felt like an annoying mosquito you want to get rid of quickly.

On Saturday I used the Feast restaurant for lunch. The same thing, [--] faces, no smiles, no welcome, nothing. Looking at the quality of the food and the choices they offered it really reflected the situation I experienced.

My personal feeling is, there is something going on in this hotel. It is not possible that the whole personnel is having such [--] faces and such a bad mood during my entire stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations and have taken particular note of your suggestions regarding general service. Please rest assured that your experiences do not reflect the standards we are always striving achieve and we will investigate and remedy our practices to ensure we do better. The service training in our venues is on-going and we will ensure to become more consistent in our service delivery.

Mr. Nobert J, please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and you are welcome to contact either myself or Hotel Manager at any time we can assist to ensure your complete wellbeing in travel.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very big rooms and bright bathrooms are the biggest selling point for this property. It is out of the way unless you have business in or near the You You International Plaza but otherwise it's conveniently located just off the highway and with a subway station right out front. There is a shopping mall next door with local and international brands and plenty of convenience stores as well as the usual fast food suspects. Service is on par with other luxury properties in Shanghai (staff are polite and attentive but will scream across the restaurant to talk with each other over the top of you - standard really). The buffet breakfast is as vast as the Great Wall of China. If the weather is good choose to sit outside. The Sheraton Shanghai Pudong is text book Sheraton ... and there's nothing wrong with that!

Room Tip: Go as high as you can and ask for a Bund/City view. Views to the Bund and the exciting skyline of Sh...
2  Thank LuxeTravelerHK
Elaine B, Manager at Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to complete our online questionnaire.

I was very pleased to learn from the scores that you rated us, even though we may have succeeded in meeting your expectations this time, we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

If there are any associates or event made you feel special during your stay, Please also kindly to share with us, it would be pleasure to convey your comments to my colleagues and recognize their efforts.

The entire staff is looking forward to serving you upon your next visit. .

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I arrived here in a bad mood after being ripped off by a Shanghai taxi driver. This is the first time this has happened to me and I will be more wary next time. Do not let the taxi driver decide beforehand what the fare will be. A short trip from the Maglev station to the Sheraton cost me RMB280!
Anyway, the lesson has been learned. I believe you you suspect any suspicious behavior from the drive, just take down his license plate number and his ID number from inside the car and report him. There will be consequences for him as the authorities are trying to stamp out this behavior.

The hotel check in was swift and efficient. This is a large hotel and as a result it is normally very busy in the lobby and surrounding area. The taxi queue the next day caught me by surprise. There are obviously lots of people doing business in Shanghai !

Room was great, the snacks in the club lounge not the greatest. Seems to be a bit tired and worn out up there. The staff were helpful though.
Nice desk and facilities for working after hours. The internet in the rooms is confined to wired only so be prepared with the correct adaptor if you are using a Macbook Air.
The funny thing is that the first night, I received a very strong WiFi signal in my room and the next night there was absolutely nothing? I enquired about this and was told that there is no WiFi in the rooms - only in the lounge.

I tried out the massage place across the road from the hotel. It’s the one on the extreme right hand side when looking from the hotel main entrance. Fantastic foot, head and body massage for two hours for RMB168. This made me feel a lot better after the taxi experience!

I stayed in this hotel because I am an SPG member (points) and I was going to the Ningbo Sheraton after this stay. The bus service between these two hotels is free. I had a nice relaxing trip in the bus and it is well worth it if you are travelling between these two cities.
Overall a nice stay but nothing outstanding. Would probably go elsewhere in future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

On behalf of hotel management of Sheraton Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences and Four Points Complex, I would like to thank you for your recently stay and spent valuable time to give us your valuable comments.

I was very pleased to learn from our guest satisfaction survey that you rated us,we will not rest on our laurels and continue to work on further improving the service and hotel features.

I would like to take the opportunity for recognizing the efforts of our Executive club colleagues; it was a pleasure to convey your comments to them.