“Great location”

Donghu Hotel (Donghu Road)
Ranked #229 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
California
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed here one night, the night before I moved back to the US after living in Shanghai for 2 years. This hotel is in the best location you could ask for. Wonderful restaurants walking distance, the subway is about a 15 minute walk, and perfect streets to stroll on in this area. The hotel service was fantastic. The room was also great, I stayed in the hotel across the street from the main hotel, but I was impressed. It was clean and the beds were comfortable. They do not have wi-fi, but you can get it at Wagas, a cafe downstairs. Very glad I stayed here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

First of all their are two Donghu Hotels literally opposite each other. I mention this as your taxi might get confused. One hotel located at #70 is the older, grander looking hotel from the outside. The guest house is #7 over the street and from the outside looks like a bog- standard motel. There are three very good French cafe's serving breakfast next door. One even adjoins the hotel.

I stayed at #7, the guest house and frankly speaking it was fantastic value for money. Okay it's basic but I hardly spent any time in my room, which was fine for sleeping and had free wifi. Many 5 star hotels will charge you $20 a day for this privilege.

Staff were fine and the doorman hailed taxis.

Right next door they also have a reasonable 25 meter swimming pool and basic gym. I used this 3 or 4 times and quality of water was fine and 1 or 2 other people maximum.

All for about $65.00 - bargain.

In a great area of Shanghai as well - French quarters. Good restaurants on same street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jimmy D
Beijing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

This review is for the Guest House, the older part of the hotel which is suppose to be 4 stars.

I booked in Donghu several weeks ago to stay here for the May week holiday. I was excited because I know the FC area well and was interested in the hotel's history. However, after one night, I am checking out and moving to another hotel.

The behaviour from the staff at the reception was utterly rude and unprofessional. When I asked the reception why they had allocated me to a twin room instead of a king room which is what I had booked, I was told in a dismissive manner that since I had booked early and presumably received a good rate, I was only eligible for the twin room.

I spoke with the reception in English for most of the time, but I am fluent in Mandarin and Shanghainese also. When the man called his manager to explain the situation and obtain further instructions, he misrepresented the situation and was equally unprofessional. The manager's instructions to him were to show me rooms with king beds which were of a lower grade to the Deluxe room I had booked, but to charge me for the same rate. No amount of me switching to Mandarin helped the situation.

The behaviour from reception was utterly rude, condescending, and unprofessional - at one point, he even scoffed and walked away from me! I have stayed at a cross section of hotels and hostels from luxurious to basic and I have never encountered this behaviour before.

Now let's get to the room itself. It is tastefully decorated in traditional Chinese decor but is also worn and tired. The carpet is dotted with unidentifiable stains, and the bathroom, while spacious, had a constant odour of sweat. The room had mosquitoes and I found another bug in one of the beds. If this was a 2 star or even 3 star hotel and I was paying a rate commensurate of that, then I would be more okay with it all, but the fact is, the hotel markets itself as a 4 star hotel and the rate reflects that.

The only thing the hotel has to recommend itself is its excellent location and nice exteriors from the street.

In all, my experience here was not pleasant at all. I would suggest staying at a 5 star hotel like Jin Jiang and Okura Garden which are equally convenient and have rates that are only slightly higher than this hotel's.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sarahlee86

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

After reading the previous reviews I decided to book here, based on the pleasant location and reasonable price.

I had requested a room in the main building - I got a room in the annex. I requested a room with a big bed - I got a room with 2 smaller beds. I requested a non smoking room - I got a smoking room!!! Anyhow, the room was pretty tidy, I found the bed comfortable, the shower was excellent. There was no wifi, but there was an Ethernet cable and the internet worked well on my laptop.

The staff were okay. They initially didn't want to assist me to book a tour they gave me a brochure for, but eventually they succumbed! The subway was a bit further than I expected - maybe a 10 minute walk, and so we ended up mostly getting taxis which were cheap and fast so long as you avoided them in rush-hour. There is a Wagas cafe next door which is perfect for morning coffee and breakfast, and a lot of restaurants nearby. I liked the tree lined streets, it's definitely a nice area to stay in.

Shop around online when making your booking, I found it significantly cheaper on one website in particular - I paid 348RMB/night + tax = 400RMB/night in total.

Room Tip: Based on previous reviewers recommendations, I requested a room in the main building (which looked v...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Second trip to Shangahi on busines and I have to say that I like the French Concession area. The Donghu is well located with a decent selection of restaurants and shops just a short stroll away. Fun and safe area to explore for a stranger in a strange land.

The hotel is divided into a "New" and "Old building. I prefer the older more formal look with the heavy dark woods and grand staircase construction. The halls are decorated with photos of Shanghai as it was not that long ago; seeing these photos gives you an idea of the building miracle that has been going on in this city.

The rooms are large, clean and quiet.

While the hotel has a full breakfast that can itself be an adventure for the new traveller, this time I decided to walk across the street to a nice cafe for excellent coffe and pan-au-chocolate breakfast (it IS the french concession after all).

The Donghu delivered a consistent experience with trips 4 years apart. This tells me that the place has a stron managment team that understands what business travellers value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was accommodated here by the institution I was visiting. My stay turned out to be very pleasurable, thanks to the superb location, the hotel's high standards, and the enjoyable breakfast buffet. My room was in the main building and was large and attractive, as were the old staircases with their dark panelling and the public sitting areas on each floor. Although the room furnishings were somewhat tired (the net curtains really should be replaced), everything worked well apart from the thermostat, which I never managed to control. Some of the staff were less than warm, but others were welcoming and friendly. The front of the hotel is beautifully landscaped, and the situation is excellent. So, all in all, this is a good place to stay with much more character than the innumerable hotels with glossy five stars.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the main building if you are able to; higher up is better because there is some n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at the Donghu again after 4 years away.
Still a comfortable pleasant place to be.Staff are friendly and do their best to help.
Having said that ,we were disappointed with the restaurant .It was Chinese New Year and many places closed,so we did try the hotel restaurant for dinner.Many dishes off the menu,and breakfast staff were a bit grumpy.Perhaps because they would have liked to have been on holiday too.
But the hotel is central,not glitzy and we will be very happy to stay there again

Room Tip: 1505 or 1527
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple