“Great location, avarage rooms”

Donghu Hotel (Donghu Road)
Ranked #247 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great location in the heart of the French concession. Booked a room with Booking.com and everything at check-in went very smooth. The room itself was clean, but a little bit on the small side. Staff was not mega friendly, though did what they were supposed to do.

The room had internet but it was cabled and not wireless (believe there was Wifi in the lobby). The connection was remarkably fast though for a Chinese connection.

Good thing about the hotel is that u can use the facilities of the other Donghu locations (business center, pool, sauna, gym). All were fine, but not extraordinary.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed the night at the Donghu Hotel, before heading to Pu dong Airport to catch our flight back to England.
We booked a superior double room for 400 yuan which was OK for our needs we just wanted somewhere to sleep after a bit of sightseeing followed by a sample of what nightlife Shanghai had to offer!
The room was an adequate size, with en-suite facilities. As previous reviewers have noted the rooms are a little tired & could do with updating. The bed was comfortable and we had no disturbance from the road or other guests. We didn't eat in the but the food looked and smelt fine.
All in all for the price we paid the hotel was good and I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TampaBayTiger
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here at no. 70 for three days before joining a tour and staying across the river. Boy, are we glad we did. The Pudong (east) side is all new and sterile. Here, in the former French concession you feel you are part of the city. Shops and restos are all nearby and a cab is dirt cheap. We were going to get a metro pass but never got around to it.
We didn't eat at the hotel, but had dumpling buns, Wagas and Elements instead.
Room was large and met our needs. Read th other reviews as they are all pretty accurate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DUHCAR
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Sitting in the heart of the French Concession, you are a stones throw from many great bars and restaurants and a great atmosphere in the neighborhood.
Queen Size double bed ran me about 350RMB a night I think in the "new" building. Same old story, tired room, dirty carpet but a quiet nights sleep.
If you can look past these things then worth stopping at. I will return next time I am in Shanghai.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed at the Donghu for three nights in Aug. 2012.There were two parts, the newer no. 7, where we were and the older no.70 section. Although the older section was nicer, I have no complaints about the building we stayed in, or the room. It was a king bed, average size, decent for the price. The location in the French Concession is the main draw, as it is a nice section, can walk to the metro, a park down the road, close to Huaihai Rd. The biggest drawback is the hotel staff, which others have mentioned. They were not at all helpful (needed train tickets to Beijing, they couldn't be bothered telling us the business office was in the old building ; took us forever to figure it out) and really, depending on who was at the front, rather rude. So, for the price I would stay again but be prepared for rude staff. We did not eat there at all, so really can not comment on the food.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jeanne044
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in July 2012. I had booked their basic cheapest room but was offered the choice of a larger room on check in for €90 per night. Looking back I should have declined and stuck with the basic room for less than half the price. The room was nothing spectacular really for the price.
Donghu hotel is contained in two buildings directly opposite each other on Donghu road, no 7 and 70. The block which I stayed in was no. 7 and is definitely they inferior of the two. Although, the room that I had was large with a writing desk and tea/coffee facilities, its decor was clearly in need of a refresh. The bathroom tiles had dirty grouting and the shower was just a bathtub with a dirty shower curtain. The air conditioner was poor also, given that the daytime temperature in Shanghai was almost 40 celsius when I was there. The room was serviced daily with replensihment of the usual items.
There is wired Internet access in the room, fine if you brought a laptop, but if you just need wifi, you had to walk across the road to the lobby of their better block no. 70 Donghu road for it - a joke really! The room rate did not include breakfast, but it could be purchased for 138 yuan daily per person. Given that this is almost €18, it would have to be spectacular. I didn't try it nor did I eat in their restaurant as I generally find hotel food to be overpriced garbage anyway. Luckily for breakfast you have a bakery next door where you can get croissants/pastries and coffee at western prices. For evening meals, there are a few Japanese style restaurants along Donghu Road, but there is an excellent restaurant (Sichuan Citizen) with a full Englsh menu at very reasonable prices directly across the road from the number 7 block.
The one thing that really annoyed me with Donghu Hotel is their excessive charges for services. I needed to have a small number of items laundered on my arrival. For normal service this ended up costing me nearly €40. Their charges are crazy, such as €5 per pair of trousers/jeans, the same for shirts and tee shirts and €2 per pair of socks! The person putting them into the washer is probably not even being paid €2 per hour! I've stayed in hotels where I've got double the amount of laundry done for less than half this price. Also, I needed to print off a flight itinerary which I had lost and they charged me 10 yuan (€1.25) per black and white page. Total robbery!
To finish on a positive note, I can't fault the hotel for its location in the French Concession along a nice tree lined street and about 10 minutes from metro line 10 (South Shaanxi Road), which will get you close to East Nanjing Road for shoping, the Bund and Yuyuan Garden. If you choose to stay here though you have been warned - just pay for the room and avoid their other services/amenities.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Philip771
Reviewed July 3, 2012

A Chinese hotel in a garden setting.

Location:
In the French concession area in Puxi, which is a nice area.
Hotel is off busy Huai Hai road. Subway is not close by and very difficult to get a taxi.

Room:
Rooms are outdated and in real need of an update.
The floors were squeaky, with an old tv and bed/mattress.

Service:
Service was just horrible.
The room key didnt work and went to the front desk to get a replacement key from the same front desk agent who had checked me in earlier.
She wanted to see my id and didnt believe that the room key didnt work.
She told a service guy to open the door while I waited at the lobby.
Service guy took forever and I had to practically force her to just give a replacement key.
Basically, she didnt believe me and indirectly saying that I lied to her.
She just checked me in a few hours ago!

Internet:
Only available in lobby for wireless.

Overall:
This is a hotel with awful service staff at the front desk.
No way am I staying here ever again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ronnie A