“Good location”

Donghu Hotel (Donghu Road)
Ranked #248 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed at the Donghu for three nights in Aug. 2012.There were two parts, the newer no. 7, where we were and the older no.70 section. Although the older section was nicer, I have no complaints about the building we stayed in, or the room. It was a king bed, average size, decent for the price. The location in the French Concession is the main draw, as it is a nice section, can walk to the metro, a park down the road, close to Huaihai Rd. The biggest drawback is the hotel staff, which others have mentioned. They were not at all helpful (needed train tickets to Beijing, they couldn't be bothered telling us the business office was in the old building ; took us forever to figure it out) and really, depending on who was at the front, rather rude. So, for the price I would stay again but be prepared for rude staff. We did not eat there at all, so really can not comment on the food.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jeanne044

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in July 2012. I had booked their basic cheapest room but was offered the choice of a larger room on check in for €90 per night. Looking back I should have declined and stuck with the basic room for less than half the price. The room was nothing spectacular really for the price.
Donghu hotel is contained in two buildings directly opposite each other on Donghu road, no 7 and 70. The block which I stayed in was no. 7 and is definitely they inferior of the two. Although, the room that I had was large with a writing desk and tea/coffee facilities, its decor was clearly in need of a refresh. The bathroom tiles had dirty grouting and the shower was just a bathtub with a dirty shower curtain. The air conditioner was poor also, given that the daytime temperature in Shanghai was almost 40 celsius when I was there. The room was serviced daily with replensihment of the usual items.
There is wired Internet access in the room, fine if you brought a laptop, but if you just need wifi, you had to walk across the road to the lobby of their better block no. 70 Donghu road for it - a joke really! The room rate did not include breakfast, but it could be purchased for 138 yuan daily per person. Given that this is almost €18, it would have to be spectacular. I didn't try it nor did I eat in their restaurant as I generally find hotel food to be overpriced garbage anyway. Luckily for breakfast you have a bakery next door where you can get croissants/pastries and coffee at western prices. For evening meals, there are a few Japanese style restaurants along Donghu Road, but there is an excellent restaurant (Sichuan Citizen) with a full Englsh menu at very reasonable prices directly across the road from the number 7 block.
The one thing that really annoyed me with Donghu Hotel is their excessive charges for services. I needed to have a small number of items laundered on my arrival. For normal service this ended up costing me nearly €40. Their charges are crazy, such as €5 per pair of trousers/jeans, the same for shirts and tee shirts and €2 per pair of socks! The person putting them into the washer is probably not even being paid €2 per hour! I've stayed in hotels where I've got double the amount of laundry done for less than half this price. Also, I needed to print off a flight itinerary which I had lost and they charged me 10 yuan (€1.25) per black and white page. Total robbery!
To finish on a positive note, I can't fault the hotel for its location in the French Concession along a nice tree lined street and about 10 minutes from metro line 10 (South Shaanxi Road), which will get you close to East Nanjing Road for shoping, the Bund and Yuyuan Garden. If you choose to stay here though you have been warned - just pay for the room and avoid their other services/amenities.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Philip771
Reviewed July 3, 2012

A Chinese hotel in a garden setting.

Location:
In the French concession area in Puxi, which is a nice area.
Hotel is off busy Huai Hai road. Subway is not close by and very difficult to get a taxi.

Room:
Rooms are outdated and in real need of an update.
The floors were squeaky, with an old tv and bed/mattress.

Service:
Service was just horrible.
The room key didnt work and went to the front desk to get a replacement key from the same front desk agent who had checked me in earlier.
She wanted to see my id and didnt believe that the room key didnt work.
She told a service guy to open the door while I waited at the lobby.
Service guy took forever and I had to practically force her to just give a replacement key.
Basically, she didnt believe me and indirectly saying that I lied to her.
She just checked me in a few hours ago!

Internet:
Only available in lobby for wireless.

Overall:
This is a hotel with awful service staff at the front desk.
No way am I staying here ever again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ronnie A
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed five nights in a Queen Bed Room (719) in the Annex (Building 6) at No. 7 Donghu Road. The room was small and nondescript but clean and comfortable (great bed and pillows) and very quiet. It wasn't so hot when we were there, but the air conditioner seemed rather anemic, so that might be a problem during warmer weather. The staff spoke adequate English and were very professional, if not overly helpful or friendly.

The main draw here is the prime French Concession location. It's convenient walking distance to a plethora of restaurants, shops, bars, and even street food (go a couple of blocks northeast to the corner of Changle Lu and Xiangyang Bei Lu for food stalls, especially at breakfast), and just a short walk past lovely little Xiangyang Park to the South Shaanxi Road subway station on Line 1; the newer Line 10 station of the same name is more trouble than it's worth.

For WiFi, you need to go across the road to the older villa (Building 1), the lobby of which is much larger and fancier than that of Building 6. For the fitness room or pool, you need to visit another complex of buildings, this one on the same side of the road as the annex. The locker room and pool were quite nice and never busy during our stay. Note that all pool users (even boys) are required to wear a swimming cap (available for purchase at 50 RMB).

We hummed "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" throughout our stay in Shanghai, as for some reason the same orchestral version of it played in all public areas of the various hotel buildings day and night through four of the five days we were there. I suppose we can count that as quirky.

All in all a good mid-range choice; we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dougherucci
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed in the older mansion style hotel. (as other reviewers have commentatated there are two hotels? Two parts of the same hotel?)

Our hotel was worth its 4 star rating. There are trees in the garden that are over 100 years old, so I guess that's the age of the original building. If so it wears its age well. While the hotel building is not modern, the facilities for guests are reasonably up to date. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed. Air con works well, a large selection of western & chinese food for breakfast. No noise problems in the rooms. Good internet. The bathroom is spacious, and shows a little of the age of the hotel (you can see repairs done to the sealant in the shower). Both room and bathroom vere very clean.
Location is good for the French concession, nearby are lots of choices of restautrants, good shopping, a nice residential area to stroll in, a nice park that is very good for people watching, and handy access to the very good Shanghai subway.
There was always someone at reception with good english, and staff were very helpful.

We arrived at 8.45am after an overnight flight from New Zealand. A room was available for us immediately, and the reception let us have breakfast that morning at no extra cost (they transferred it from our last day when we were leaving very early before the dining room opened).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2012

The hotel offers a good value although the rooms are a little faded. My AC struggled at night but it could have been just my room? That said, the reception was very responsive and they all speak English very well. I didn't check out the pool and gym at the other buildings. The location is awesome! It is a short walk to the metro station of 2 different lines. Very convenient.

On a side note - the cafe next door (Brioche Doree) is excellent. Great coffee and croissants.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a non-smoking floor if you don't smoke.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2012

While the Donghu is not the most attractive building it does have some virtues inside. The oriental decoration thru out is quite impressive, there are good facilities in room and around the adjoining buildings and the bed & pillows are excellent. But unfortunately the attention to detail goes no further. Our in room carpets were a mess and also carpet in lift and on stairs on our floor were pretty ratty. Also the bathroom was very moldy in places, the bathroom door latch not working, the Tv has periodic hi pitch screech, and was unwatchable ... Get the picture?
When confronted with these issues (there were more), management excused themselves by announcing that the hole hotel was to be renovated in early 2013, so apparently they could not care less what condition guests find their rooms in the meanwhile. One wonders how far the place will deteriorate before the renovators come in. So, until the management announce that the renovations are complete, it might be a good decision to stay away, the rooms are still not cheap.

Room Tip: Stay away till 2013 when the renovations are complete
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple