“Nice hotel but too far away from Shanghai city center. Convenient to visit Shanghai Ocean University”

Howard Johnson Plaza Lingang Shanghai
Ranked #2,354 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Nice hotel but too far away from Shanghai city center. Convenient to visit Shanghai Ocean University. Services are fine, good two restaurants, one chinese the other ocidental type. Very good breakfast. Friendly staff. Very nice that they suggest jogging ways. Very qiet place. The only disadvantage is that it is too far away from Shanghai city centre.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HoJoLingang, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Lingang Shanghai, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Your detailed and vey professional review is a great encouragement to our team. And we are glad to hear you like our jogging route. We look forward to having you back with us soon !

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed here in May, the rooms and facilities are amazing with two good restaurants inside the hotel. The bathroom in the room was fantastic, the wifi was free and the hotel is well appointed.
I would have no hesitation staying here again.

Room Tip: A really nice well appointed hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your inspiring feedback.I will share your comment with hotel team and ensure that we continue to work hard in order to make each guest’s stay memorable.
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Hotel is very good, nice and spacious rooms, very clean, wifi ok., breakast good, continental or chinese warm dishes. People are very friendly, english no problem. Don´t forget to organize the taxi to airport the evening before at front desk, because there is no taxi available if you like to start early in the morning.
In the hotel you have a western and chinese restaurant, value and price is good.
Only beer is very expensive, but that´s all over the worls the same in all hotels.
Also they have a massage center, but this is very expensive.

A little bit a shame is the location for this nice hotel, it is just in the middle of nowhere in the Lingang industrial area. Very calm, clean, no trafic, but nothing arround, no restaurant, no shop, even you can´t see people on the street. The area is quiet new and clean, all company buildings are new. Location 30 minutes noth Pudong Airport 220 RMB by Taxi.
To go to Shanghai downtown take at least 1,5 hours by Taxi

My recommandation: if you have to stay for business at Lingang industrial area, Howard Johnson hotel is a perfect location. Only for business people

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HoJoLingang, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Lingang Shanghai, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for your valued comments and your high recommandation to business people. I will share the comments with the team and ensure that we continue to work hard in order to make each guest's stay memorable. And I am sure the location problem would be solved as Lingang's fast development.
Penang
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Service is poor not only the room cleaning but also at the restaurant. The toilet is not well clean & stain can still be found the next day. The room is not well kept the next day. Left over food not clean. As at the restaurant, you hardly get a waiter/waitress to attend to your needs/order. Most of the time, you got your coffee but you do have the teaspoon/milk/sugar pack to add on. You have to wait >5mins for your next cup of coffee/bill/milk/teaspoon or you rather choose to serve yourself. Food serving is very slow at dinner. The food took easily >30mins after order made. Food favor can be deteriorate day to day. Don't expect much on the food quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced in our hotel. We will take follow up actions to avoid same case. And also we hope that we have a chance to renew your confidence in us.
Bangkok
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel is remote from downtown Shanghai, however it is convenient for anyone carrying out business in Lingang. No close restaurants therefore have to rely on what is in hotel..... a good Chinese restaurant and a main restaurant [Doris] serving international dishes, very few patrons and slow service in the main restaurant, however the food is OK and the buffet breakfast was good. The hotel staff were generally friendly and helpful. Rooms are a reasonable sized with a well appointed bathroom, but pretty standard decor. Overall, a reasonable value hotel, but due to the traveling distance, no use for anyone visiting or doing business in, or near central Shanghai.

Room Tip: Non smokers should ask for a non-smoking room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HoJoLingang, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Lingang Shanghai, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review.
We are glad to know that you had a nice stay here. And we will keep working to improve our service to make guests comfortable.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Howard Johnson Plaza Lingang Shanghai!
Rockville
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel is far removed from downtown Shanghai - perhaps an hour drive away. It is right near a major university and just before a bridge to a very large port. This is one of the newer parts of Shanghai, but it is really rather isolated. While there are a few surrounding buildings, there is nothing of note. So, staying here would not be a choice unless one has business in the area.

The hotel itself is pretty much typically American or European in most respects. Large lobby, reasonably sized room, and the room was well appointed. Nice bath with both a tub and a stall shower. Bottled water was provided (one does not drink the local water, or even brush teeth with it) as were toothbrushes (throw away after one use). The TV was good, but limited English channels (not a real problem). There were, however, two significant problems with the room. First, the bed is beyond hard. Basically, it is like sleeping on a board. I had a number of colleagues in other rooms and they reported the same thing. I finally resorted to using the copious pillows in the room as a bed top, and even the comforter, but the bed was still uncomfortable.

The second problem that most of the rooms (other than 6th floor - something I discovered later in my stay) are smoking. The room had a constant smoke odor, even after I got the management to clean the carpet. Part of the "stench" was due to the poor air in this part of Shanghai, but partly due to this being a smoking room.

Finally, the AC did not work well. None of us were able to adjust the rooms to cool them very well.

Breakfast was included in the price and it was not bad. They had both western and Chinese breakfast items, prepared eggs fresh (though communication with the cooks difficult since I had not idea how to say "omelet" in Chinese and the cooks did not know the English) were good, and they had other fresh item. I had dinner in their Chinese restaurant. This was pre-ordered by Chinese colleagues and so I have no idea what the typical restaurant items might be, but the food was really outstanding.

Bottom line is that if you have to stay in this part of Shanghai this would be a reasonable hotel, but ask for extra comforters to soften the bed, and if non-smoking is something desired then ask for the top floor.

Room Tip: I cannot judge value since my room was paid for.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Fishperson
HoJoLingang, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Lingang Shanghai, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for your valued comments. We appreciate you would like to share your experience with us.
We are glad that you loved our foods and also I am sorry that some of room amenities were not up your expectation. Your comments will be transmitted to our whole team to improving the service.
Looking forward to seeing you again!
Bozeman, MT
Reviewed April 9, 2012

One thing that you need to have in mind is that Lingang is a new city being developed. The location of this hotel is in the middle of nowhere, no close restaurants, etc. The hotel is OK, the staff is mixed, some are nice and some are kind of rude. I'm rating three stars to the hotel because when I was checking out they wanted to charge me for "a pencil" that they put in the room (as most hotels do -pen/pencil- for guests to write notes). I was at a conference and had no idea where the pencil was. then I was accused of "taking" the hotel directory with me (why in the world would I want a 'hotel directory"??). My shuttle to the airport was waiting so I had to tell the people at the front desk to be serious, how in the world they would charge for a pen and then tried to tell me that i was taking a "hotel directory" (which by the way I never saw in the room, which btw was a suite).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your review and let us know the problem you met when you stayed here.
Whenever you plan to visit Lingang, we appreciate if you can let me know and I may assist your accommodation. We hope that we have a chance to renew your confidence in us.