Among all the fancy hotels in Shanghai, this one is located not far from the city center and is a good value. Like most other reviewers said, it is a Holiday Inn Express that a Holiday Inn Express should be.
I landed very late that night at Hongqiao and found the taxi line super long and didn't want to wait. So I went to the basement of the airport to catch the extra night train which only stopped at six major stations. I called the hotel's front desk and the young man was very helpful and accurately told me that I should get off at Zhongshan Park Station. From there, it was not far from this hotel and he was right.
The hotel is located on a very quiet street. When the taxi turned from the busy street, Caoyang Road, we had to pass a shabby old Shanghai lane that had a lot of small and not so good looking stores. I was wondering if I made the right choice. However, after a right turn, a nice street lined with a lot of trees was there and voila, a huge Holiday Inn Express sign was right above me.
Check in was a breeze and I got a first floor room. There was no iron and board in the room. The front desk young man told me they had a public iron down the hall way. A public iron board? Yes, it was in the coin laundry room, and anybody could use it. I am sure it can get busy at some time of the day if more than one person wants to use it at the same time. There was a vending machine in the lobby but I could not get beer out of it. That was the only glitch during my stay.
Breakfast was good, comparing to what they serve at HIE in the US, a lot of Chinese food, but there was also toast, boiled egges, coffee and fruit. They have a lot of large tables and many strangers have to share the same table. That could be awkward for people who were not used to the Chinese style dining. Getting a taxi in the morning could be a problem for someone who doesn't know the best way to get taxis in Shanghai as most empty taxis wouldn't come in to this back street, but I got a very quick response from using a mobile app.
Overall, a nice hotel and great value for the money I spent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Express Putuo Shanghai is managed by InterContinental Hotels Group. Strategically located on Guang Fu Xi Road, cross Wu Ning Road, intersection of Pu Tuo, Jin An and Chang Ning districts, the hotel is only 10 minutes drive distance from City Center. Just 20 minutes drive from the Hong Qiao Airport, 55 minutes from the Pudong International Airport and 10 minutes from the Shanghai Railway station, the hotel is perfectly situated for business, sightseeing and shopping. Holiday Inn Express Putuo Shanghai is situated in the central part of downtown Puxi shanghai, it is only 20 minutes drive distance from Shanghai Exhibition Center and Shanghai Mart, close to Jing'an Temple, Jade Buddy Temple and Zhong Shan Park, on the bank of Su Zhou River enjoying its scenic riverside and Garden view, with easy access to Shanghai's shopping center and tourist attractions. Holiday Inn Express Putuo Shanghai, has 237 contemporarily designed guestrooms, Great Room can hold 118 guests for dinning, fully equipment meeting room. You'll enjoy a comfortable, convenient and peaceful stay, plus attentively selected services, complimentary breakfast and an impressive offering of business facilities and free High Speed Internet broadband access. The Smart Simplicity concept makes the Holiday Inn Express a smart choice for the visitor to bustling Shanghai. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, IHG, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Putuo Shanghai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Putuo Shanghai Hotel Shanghai
- Holiday Inn Express Shanghai
- Holiday Inn Shanghai
- Shanghai Holiday Inn