“Nothing exceptional”

Ranked #68 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Oslo
“Nothing exceptional”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Good location in Pu-Xi, 5min walk to Taikang Lu, and close to the French concession and Xiantiandi.
A-Club Gold advantages respected (room upgrade, early check in)
Decent property, modern.

Dedicated A-Club counter just for "decoration" dixit the front office manager...
Typical business hotel with fake luxury and without charm
Amenities below average
Breakfast not worth waking up!

Price: 900 CNY / night for a deluxe king. Breakfast included. Bought on accorhotels.com

Having been in Shanghai before on many occasions, this hotel was like many others in the city. It’s a typical business hotel, nice and modern but without charm. Good if you don’t know where you’re going, since the hotel follow international standards, but for us we were a bit disappointed. It was a bit too big, and not as luxurious as we thought it would be. The amenities for example were quite cheap, and there were plenty other small details like that.

The most important points for me when I made the reservation was to be located close to the French concession and get an early Check in. Beeing A-Club gold, the latter should be possible.

Indeed around 7:30 am we were at the check in desk, asking for our room. Of course the young Korean woman said first that no rooms were available yet, but as soon as I showed my status card (I hate flashing those cards, but sometimes you really have no choice), she managed to find a junior suite for us that was available at once.

Our room was of course very big, with a large entrance, a separate living area, large bedroom and large bathrooms. Besides that; nothing out of the ordinary: amenities were very classical, and as in all Chinese hotels, house keeping does not respect the do not disturb sign.

Still we managed to sleep a few hours after our flight.

We had breakfast there one morning (included), and that was not a very pleasant experience. We came late, and were told that we had only 15 minutes to grab whatever we wanted before they’d start cleaning up. Fair enough and so we did. To be honest the food was quite bad, and when they started cleaning it made the whole experience even worse. Indeed, the chefs came with big buckets and started throwing all the types of food from the buffet into the buckets. I let imagine the scene not very classy and not very appetizing.

We did not eat there again. Shanghai has so much to offer anyway. The day after we went for brunch at Madison in the French concession.

At check out there was quite a queue. I asked to use the A-Club counter and was told it was there only for decoration. Nice touch…

Conclusion: decent hotel, but I would not stay there again.

2 Thank jamesbond_ppk
pullmanshskyway, General Manager at Pullman Shanghai Skyway Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Dear Mr. jamesbond_ppk,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Pullman Shanghai Skyway.

At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that I am taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrence.

I am sorry that your check-in experience with "Le Club" counter and " young Korean woman". We are scheduled to provide a proper training to our front office staffs and committed to have a dedicated "Le Club" express check-in and check-out counter in one month.

We are pleased to see that you find the room spacious and comfortable. In regards to late breakfast, please rest assured that we are providing set menu with a couple of options to our dear guests like you who come within 15 mins to close the morning buffet.

Last but not least, I can insure you that all the Management team is focus on the quality of our equipment and the quality of service we are offering to all our guests.

I appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that the above clarifies all the matters. We also hope you will give us a chance to show you what a real Pullman experience is in a near future.

General Manager of Pullman Shanghai Skyway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We found the Hotel to be very clean and the staff helpful and friendly although sometimes a little slow. It was disappointing that the pool was being refurbished. We were in a suite on floor 41 and the view was superb although that was also available from the restaurant on the 49th floor. The selection of food for breakfast was very good but I found dinner to be less so. We went to the French restaurant but were told that due to no bookings it was closed! The coffee mix in the room was disappointing as it had dried milk and was sweetened with no alternative. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get as high a room as possible.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
pullmanshskyway, General Manager at Pullman Shanghai Skyway Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Barry F,

Thank you for your review concerning the Pullman Shanghai Skyway.

We are pleased to hear that you appreciated the services and facilities of the Hotel and its stunning city views.

At Pullman, we strive to provide a superior service experience to every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We have well noted your comments on pool, dinner and coffee mix. Please rest assured that our pool has already resumed to operate after refurbishment and it surly better serves you during your next stay! We are conducting a series of food festvival for dinner buffet at Zaffraan Restaurant on 49th floor and more items will be added. Considering the differences of Coffee lover tastes, now we are on the planning to offer coffee mix with more options, black coffee, with dried milk only, and with both dried milk and sugar. Le Ciel our French restaurant has turned into a refine get-together venue with advanced booking no less than 20 persons, alternatively, you can also choose order a la carte on Zaffraan restaurant on 49th floor, award-winning Hua Fu Chinese restaurant on 3rd floor or lazy Lakeside coffee shop with garden and pond views on grand floor.

I would like to invite you have a food tasting in any restaurants you like. Please do notify us when you come next in Shanghai at the Pullman, we would be delighted to host you again.

I hope you will give us the chance to show you what a real Pullman experience is in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The reviews of this hotel range wildly from terrible to excellent, so definitely this hotel ia inconsistent at best. And no wonder languishing at #79. I didn't stay at this hotel per se but had booked a 200 pax conference room and made a lunch reservation, so here are my comments.

I made a lunch reservation with an important guest 2-3 weeks ago and approached the sullen looking concierge (she looks like she'd rather be elsewhere) to contact the restaurant to change my reservation by 1 hour. It was only then, the restaurant said "oh, we have a big group coming, and we also can't find your reservation". And then Miss Sullen hung up the phone before I could help myself. I had to tell her to connect me back to the restaurant! After a while, they found my reservation and reiterated it'll be "noisy". I told them it would have been nice if they informed me weeks ago, after which, they said they'll "find me something". I had to approach the greeter and duty manager. After an agonising wait, they said they found me a quieter room in the restaurant. At the restaurant, i saw that it was half empty, and most of the rooms were also empty.

At the conference later, i wanted a wifi connection on my ipad and approached the front desk. They said i should find the conference department and left me be

i think there's a silo and "we don't really want to help guests" problem in this hotel. Luckily i live in shanghai and probably won't need to stay here. And no more meals and conferences here either

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
NY,USA
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed for over 3 weeks last Nov. Front desk service was awlfully slow. I asked for a non-smoking room and given a smoking room need to switch - room is huge but not clean- bathroom smelled wierd and little bugs flying around disgusting. Breakfast and room service food is a lot to be desired. Had to call mutliple times to get an outlet fixed. limited int'l TV channels not good for business trip. Need to go back to Shanghai for a month no more Pullman.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank fkiNy_usa
pullmanshskyway, General Manager at Pullman Shanghai Skyway Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear fkiNy_usa,

I personally read your post with attention and immediately checked our administration files.

Allow me to tell you that we have no record of any guest staying with for a period of 3 weeks ( 21 nights ) in November 2011.The only guest that we had for a long stay stayed 17 nights and was from the Pacific Region.

Our Duty manager's logbooks have not noted any disruption of service form any of our long stay guests/guests during that period . Please note that this is the first time in 3.5 years of operations that we have such type of comments mentioning about "bugs flying in the hotel", we apply serious pest control and hygiene procedures and do not experience this kind of occurrences and lapses in delivering our services.

Our hotel is a 5 star rated hotel regularly benchmarked both by our Management Company and the Chinese Authorities, we do deserve our rating and take all necessary steps to manage our hotel as it should.

In order to investigate further and take corrective actions if necessary ,would you be so kind to share your real identity and send our guest services an email (mentioning your Tripadvisor nickname) as well as with you last stay information's. I wish to have your collaboration in order to respond as a diligent and professional hotelier.

I also noted that this post was your first post on tripadvisor but I assume you know the medium well .

I look forward to receive your feedback in order to guaranty you first class response and service.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed here Mar 19-22. The lobby was the first impressive thing we noticed. Amelia helped us check in and it went smooth. She was very polite and professional. Right next to the check-in counter is the concierge desk and Edward helped us book our tours. On the 20th we did the One Day Wonderful Shanghai and on the 21st we did the One day Suzhou Garden & Zhou Zhuang Water Village tour. Both tours where very nice and the guides spoke english very well. Our room at the Pullman was on 37 floor and it had an amazing view of the city. The room and the bathroom where both very clean and spacious. The bathroom didnt really have a door just a curtain which was interesting and we liked it. We had breakfast at the Zaffran restaurant on the 49th floor hotel which was pretty good. The views from the restaurant are amazing too. I recommend this hotel and will stay here again on our next visit. Great job Pullman Skyway hotel and staff. Thank you for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the top floors for amazing views of the City. We stayed on the 37 floor and had gr...
1 Thank AlohaDaniel
pullmanshskyway, General Manager at Pullman Shanghai Skyway Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear Mr.Jose B,

Thank you for your review concerning the Pullman Shanghai Skyway.

Thank you for your positive comments I will make sure to pass the message to all the Pullman team and encourage them for future efforts.
We look forward to welcoming you come back again.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Very convenient,near the subway(around 5min walk).As soon as you enter the hotel,a sweet fragrance welcomes you.Already this sets your mood.The staff is very welcoming.They try to speak english as far as possible.Rooms are good-cannot complain.Had lunch at the zaffran restaurant(found on the 49th floor).Great view.Nice food-could have been better in terms of variety.Great desserts for those who have a sweet tooth.Yeah the waiters are very attentive and try to speak english too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank saspire2011
Dear saspire2011,

Thank you for your review concerning the Pullman Shanghai Skyway.

We look forward to welcoming you come back again.

Mandello del Lario, Italy
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is a 5 stars hotel in the middle of XuJiaHui where you can buy a lot of electronics at interesting prices. Rooms are spacious and with all confort but not so clean as a five stars must be. Also some details are somewhat careless, not repaired, not working, old and not cured.
Maybe due to this you can have good rates. Breakfast is not included normally and price for it is a little expensive if you rate it to the choice and quality of food.

Room Tip: Book through a Shanghainese travel agency for better prices
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Paolo B,

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies.

We have noted your comments on breakfast variety and rest assure that we are constantly working on improving our international selections based on the nationality on customers that we have in house, we try to cater both to Asian and Chinese customers but also to Western customers by offering a wide selection of Food and Beverages.

For the room side, we are pleased to see that you find the room spacious and comfortable. We have decided to increase the level of control of our team in this department. We will be more focus on all technical aspects of our rooms. We also started a training program to make sure that all our room attendants are well trained about the standard they must respect.