Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$121
$92
$385
$323
  • Pool
All reviewssna tourthe hotel staffrooms are spacious and cleanbreakfast buffetroad metro stationnice hotelin room wifithe club loungedoing businessfamily martbig roomwestern optionsnoodleswonderful staytaxi ridehotel is locatedconcierge desk
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Few things embody the essence of a "non-lieu" (approximately a "non-place" *) as fast-food restaurants and hotels of big international chains. Globalised travellers, expecting to eat the same food and to sleep in the same decor all over the planet, will be reassured to feel "at home" in this recently established high-standard "non-lieu". The only element that would make you guess that this hotel is located in the "central kingdom" are the uniforms of the staff (that could have been designed in Disney studios for some eastern characters), and the breakfast that offers a rich Chinese-style menu (more about breakfast and food services below). Other than this, rooms are spacious and clean. Air conditioning works properly and, above all, silently. I was slightly disappointed to notice that my room, while being designated as "non-smoking", slightly but distinctly smelled cigarette smoke. The bathroom is wide and comfortable, with lots of toiletry and towelry provided and frequently changed.

Breakfast is fine with excellent western- and Chinese-style options. The only element of disappointment was tea, which is decidedly cheap. I experienced the same problem in other Chinese or Taiwanese hotels as well. Evidently, they do not deem western palates able to discriminate between tea and straw ... If it was not for this detail, I would rank breakfast higher. You can order indeed quite a decent green or oolong tea at their café, but that would cost you a fortune. Snacks and drinks are also quite expensive, and so are the SPA services.

The location is just perfect if you are visiting the Fudan University, which is just a few strides away, across a main road. All in all, not a bad option if you are traveling for business (what else would you go to Shanghai for, in the first place?).

Service is polite, but may dangerously fall short of your expectations. It took me a long time to let them understand what kind of airport transportation my host (the Fudan University) wanted them to arrange for me. They finally called my host and decided that the arrangement had to be made by the concierge, rather than by the front desk. I was not very satisfied of this, but I felt reassured when some time later I got a call in my room, confirming the reservation of a limo. The day after no limo showed up, and I had a very hard time convincing them to call a taxi and to charge it to my room bill, as requested by my host … I later got some apologies by email, though ...

(*) "If a place can be defined through its identity, history, and relations, a space that is devoid of any identity, history, and relations can only be defined as a non-place" [Marc Augé, Introduction à une anthropologie de la surmodernité]

Room Tip: If you ask for a non-smoking room, you may want to make sure the room you get does not smell what it is not supposed to ...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Stehbar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience in Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan with us.

About the limo-rental issue,we have asked related department and staff and we would like to take this oppotunity to apologize again for the inconvinience we may cause due to the misunderstanding.

We hope this would not deter you from choosing Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan again in the near future.We look forward to welcoming back here.Thanks!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is located maybe 20 minutes north of Shanghai Bund by taxi, the access to the rail is not particularly good so taxi's are the only real option and any non Chinese speaking people who has spent time in China will know this is not a desirable choice of transport.

Check-in was smooth, hotel lobby and eating areas are bright and pleasant.

Room very functional and well above the standard of most of the Crowne Plaza's I have stayed in.

Breakfast buffet had a nice spread with plenty of Western and Asian choices... could do with a few more cereal selections :).

Overall happy to recommend this hotel except to advise to take precautions with the taxi's outside the hotel.

The only sour note was an attempt by the taxi driver on my departure trying to stitch me up. He was English speaking and disarming so I mistakenly answered his questions: "yes it was my first time in Shanghai" etc. So the trip to the Pudong international airport nearly became a nightmare as the guy headed West instead of East from the hotel. Fortunately my trustee Google maps apps exposed the scam and after laying down the law the guy agreed to drive me to the airport for half the cost shown on the meter (I think I could have paid nothing but didn't want a further scene at the airport).

Unfortunately Chinese taxi drivers as a gross generalization are the worst in the world (and I have travelled extensively). You MUST be well prepared, know where you are going at all times and don't EVER let your guard down.

Happy travels

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to share with your stay with us.I am glad to know that our facilities,food and service made your stay experience more memorable.We will strive in delivering quality services,allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.

Regarding the terriable taxis experience you mentioned,we felt sorry for the confusion and wondered if you could scan the invoice ang send to us via reservations@crowneplazafudan.com,we could forward to related authorities to follow up.We really do not want guest in our hotel to encounter this awful situation....

Looking forward to your next stay with us! Thanks again for your valuable feedback.^_^

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed 3 nights on a business trip to Shanghai. Was upgraded to a premium room on the 9th floor (receptionist said I was the lucky guest) and it was large. Room was quiet and comfortable. Deco was simple and clean. Stuck on the do not disturb sign and every evening the hotel staff left a note apologizing for not providing the turn down service due to the dnd sign. On the 3rd night, they were clever and provided the turn down service well before I got back. Very thoughtful service. The bed and pillows were EXTREMELY comfortable, truly fantastic sleep quality. They even offered different types of pillows if you need them but I never tried so I'm not sure how that works out.

The room had an international socket (220v only) so if you forgot an adapter, your electrical plugs will still work just fine (make sure it has auto voltage range though). There is a bathtub in the toilet, and rain shower as well. The water pressure was a bit on the average side, I would have preferred something stronger but perhaps this is an individual preference. The breakfast may be a bit limited though in terms of variety but not a major issue.

There are no major shops or restaurants nearby though, so you will need to get a taxi or walk a bit further along Quoquan road and you'll see some roadside stalls along the way (try them if you're adventurous!) and get to the Quoquan road metro station (line 10) from which you can get to anywhere using the Shanghai metro.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Kly10,

Thank you for taking your time to share your staying experience with us!

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service made your experience more memorable.Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality further. I will share your feedback with my team.Thanks again for your time and Hoped welcome you back soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Enjoyed two nights there late May as part of a tour group. A lovely hotel, smiling staff, comfortable rooms and as my headline suggests - hard to fault. Breakfast was comprehensive with a selection of both western and Asian cuisine - the food was hot, fresh and delectable. A couple of handy mini marts are just up the road for additional supplies.
Would I stay here again? - absolutely.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Richarddownunder,

Thank you for your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan.I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay,Meanwhile,we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodation.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future,we really value your loyalty to our hotel! ^_^

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our suite on the 18th floor of this modern hotel, was not only very plush, but had a great view overlooking the lush green gardens of Fudan University, where we went for a pleasant stroll in the evening. We even spent an evening in the nearby Wanda Plaza area, where we window shopped for a while and had a wonderful dinner at a HaidiLao restaurant before ambling back to the hotel. Cabs are easily available from the hotel and the metro station is just a short walk away.
The rooms were nice and large and smartly decorated (I wish I could have taken the cute walk-in closet home with me!). We had an extra bed put in for our son, who was travelling with us. The bathroom was very well equipped -complete with a rain shower! We partook and thoroughly enjoyed the Club Lounge facilities, snacks and delicious cocktails. The breakfast buffet was a huge spread of both Western and Chinese cuisine in the large coffee shop, managed by courteous and efficient staff. The concierge was helpful with advice about local sightseeing. The room service menu is quite good, as we noted from what turned out to be a delicious dinner late one night!
All this compensated well for its considerable distance from the other attractions of downtown Shanghai. In fact, we wish we could have stayed longer to soak in more of the hotel ambience and facilities !

Room Tip: The rooms on the 18th floor are great!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ketaki B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable and detailed feedback with us.

We are delighted to know that our location,suite,club lounge...all of these could make your visit memorable and enjoyable.Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality even further as we hope to exceed over and beyond our guest expectations.Thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future! ^_^