“An extremely comfortable, extremely well-run hotel--Six stars” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan

Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan
Ranked #68 of 4,969 Hotels in Shanghai
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“An extremely comfortable, extremely well-run hotel--Six stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is one of the most comfortable large hotels I've ever stayed in. It's great. My room was large and quiet. The bathroom had good fixtures (note the two shower heads) and amenities.

The room is immaculately clean--and stays that way. The housekeepers tidy up the smallest detail--hanging up my robe, straightening my towels, etc. The turn-down service puts out slippers and plumps the pillows.

And the hotel staff are friendly and attentive. I was here for several days, and they remembered my breakfast choices in the morning and my drink preferences in the evening. The bar staff even volunteered to move a very heavy table so that my friend and i could more easily enjoy our snacks while seated on a couch.

The breakfast buffet is large and varied. Some days I ate Asian, some European, and some all fruit and vegetables. It's all there. (I never ate dinner in the hotel.)

I have one comment for the hotel and one caution for future travelers. For the hotel, the taxi cards showing the Chinese address for the hotel itself is not sufficiently clear. I had two taxi drivers who couldn't read the tiny map. Fortunately, as soon as I said something, the front desk staff wrote the address and directions out for me clearly themselves (see how attentive they are?), but it would be easier for them and for guests if the printed card had bigger type and if it were clearer.

And that leads me to a caution for future travelers: This hotel is not centrally located. I was with a meeting that supplied most transit, so it didn't matter. And if you're going to something at Fudan University, it's a great location, just across the street. And if you're willing to walk a little, a very good metro line is about a ten-minute walk away. (Although beware: the metro closes early in this city.) But if you have any mobility problems or tire easily and you want to be a tourist, be prepared to take taxis. (They're not very expensive by Western standards, but traffic can be slow. Late at night, after the metro closes, return taxis can sometimes be hard to find, too, especially if you're off the beaten path.) Don't forget to take return directions in Chinese for the cab driver to get you home.

But for a business traveler or a conference-goer or a university-visitor, this is a great hotel.

Room Tip: I had the room whose number would never exist in the US--1313. It's large, king-bedded, and ver...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fionabert
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Fionabert,

Thanks so much for your review of your recent stay ay Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan.We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our room facilities,breakfast buffet,and our staff were able to efficiently assist you throught tour visit.We have shared your review with our team and it's really encouraging.

We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bext bring you to Shanghai either on business or leisure.Have a nice day! ^_^

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

The University booked it for me and thus I wasn't really prepared for it. Not the best location because it would take you 20 minutes or half an hour to get to downtown by subway. If this is your first trip to Shanghai, this may not be the best choice. But if you've been to Shanghai, I do find it a reasonably good option. By 5-7 minutes' walk you can get to a Line-10 station and take the subway downtown. That also means you can take the subway from Hongqiao Airport by subway to this hotel. A bit away for the standard tourist spots but quite good for someone coming here for a second or third visit.

The hotel itself is nice: quiet and comfortable. Indoor swimming pool and reasonably good breakfast.

Yes, this is up-to-standard Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: My room is facing the main road but it's quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Bally1966,Thanks for taking the time to share your recent stay in Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan.We are delighted to read that you enjoy our facilities and environment. About the transportation,as you mentioned,it takes 5-7 minutes to Metro Line 10 from the hotel;Furthermore,we still have other transportion options.Our concirerge team will be gald to assit guest to get taxis or limo rental service.Looking forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan experience again and again.^_^
gold coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights, May 15 and 16,travelling with China Best Tours who arranged the bookings.There was a group of 40 of us, all on Scoopon deals from Australia. CBT chose the Hotels well. Room we had (523) was large by any standard, king bed comfortable, and was well equiped. Bathroom had choice of shower heads. Breakfast buffet had a good selection of Asian foods. This Hotel was listed as 5 star and seems to warrant that status. They even loan umbrellas!. Really great place to stay, taxi fare to central said to be only 10 yuan, not verified.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cervelogoldcoast
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear cervelogoldcoast,Thanks so much for sharing your experince in Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan,and I also like the nice pictures you uploaded,by the way.I am glad to learn that you are satisfied with the room,restaurant,and guest service.We have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan again and again.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I consider several factors in choosing a hotel, then rating it afterwards. I also try and get hotels that have character or a feel for where we are, or the type of trip I am on. In other words, when in Prague, I don't want the Hilton.

Reviews by others are very important, and we do our homework. Also considered are location, price, breakfast, communication.

Comfort, lighting, bathroom space, water pressure...all things that make a stay or can ruin it.

In this case, we were with our first ever Tour group, so had no choice of hotel, I am writing from that angle. I did read up as much as I could about the trip hotel before leaving home.

This hotel had rave reviews so I had no concerns before travel. Location is just across from the University, which was great for going to the university, or that area. For us, I think it was a major waist of time to stay here unless it had a significant savings. Our group spent way too much time covering the same roads on the bus, going back and forth ( I was tracking with a gps) to various activities in the city, leaving us no free time for exploring on our own. We tried, but it was just too late and dark when dinner was over. That is not the hotel's fault, just a comment we will make to the tour company. I do not know what the price was. Maybe it was the best option.

Breakfast was VERY good with a great mix. I typically avoided the american breakfast and opted for the new adventure foods. The staff well informed. This was one of the very few hotels that actually had free wifi that worked, although they all said they had it, or computers.
The room was beautiful, the only king or even single for 2 people bed of the trip. It was harder than we like and are used to in our later years, but was like all the other beds during the trip and we slept just fine. I loved the silk comforter which we also had on every other bed of the trip, and of course bought one. We had a view at a distant sports field where young people were practicing flag routines and nothing too nice.
The bathroom is beautiful and I took photos for my idea book for my own redo at home. Plenty of hot water and pressure. I do usually wish for more lighting in the bathrooms and this was no exception. For those of us who can't see without glasses, makeup application can be a bit off. Nice extras. We used the coffee pot to boil water for brushing teeth rather than wasting the bottled. Counter space was tight.
A note about the pool. I looked for it and eventually found a room to poke my head in. I kept my food in the door as nobody was around and didn't want it to lock on me, although there was no sign. My brother in law later went to swim and discovered swiming caps are required. He then got locked IN the pool area, not having a special key to get out. Kind of funny, but how would we know?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear bjsr,Firstly, thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and review of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, I have shared your valuable comment with our management team. We apologize that we have not met your expectations in our service delivery on swimming pool.In order for us to improve,Could you assist us to find out more details by contacting at reservations@crowneplazafudan.com ,like telling us the check-in date and the date you went to swimming pool. Looking forward to welcoming you back again to enjoying a real flawless stay. ^_^
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Booked by University, I was offered an upgrade to a suite. Spacious bedroom with king size bed, many perfect pillows, many efficient lights. The bathroom has a large separate shower ; big, heavy and soft towels. Nothing missing. The suite room is comfortable with good furniture and good sized desk. Good minibar and ice box restocked in the evening.
Efficient and discreet house keeping. I could not find anything wrong with this suite.
The very reasonable price includes breakfast. It is of excellent quality and offers a very large selection of asian and american dishes which are constantly refreshed. At the busy peak hour, find a very quite room facing a garden at the left end of the food counters. Service is friendly and efficient.
The hotel offers all facilities of true five stars hotels with good restaurants, bars, spa, swimming pool, etc...
True, it is not centrally located , but then, that depends on whether you are in Shanghai for tourism or business.
Seven days in this hotel and nothing that went wrong. A very pleasant and efficient experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for an excellent review and for sharing your experience of your stay with us.We have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan experience again and again
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at this Crowne Plaza as I was Chairing a conference that was being held in the hotel's ballroom, I spent three nights...

Really enjoyed my stay there the room (1718) was very large and spacious, King size bed, wonderfully soft pillows, very long desk which allowed me to spread my work out, and, cable TV when I didn't have my head buried in presentations and emails...

Had occasion to use the business center a couple times and found the lady there was very helpful indeed...

Cafe on the ground floor for breakfast and lunch was also very good.

Breakfast was comprehensive and had pretty much everything that I desired, although each time I asked chef for an over-easy egg, they tried to give me one that had already been cooked and I insisted on having a fresh one as I had no idea how long the egg had been sitting...

Lunch was also good, service is very friendly, prompt and courteous and as I visited during the bird flu scare, no chicken was available on the menu but that was no problem at all. In fact, try a club sandwich without chicken, it's a great vegetarian alternative !!!

Ballroom facilities were first class and the conference when off without a hitch, definitely one of the better corporate venues I have visited in China...

The only incident that I had happen, was on the last night...

After a long couple days I wanted to relax in my room, order a room service hamburger and watch a good movie on HBO. However, when I called downstairs they asked me if I would be interested in going to the the cafe and having the hamburger because there was nobody available to deliver any food to my room?

I have to admit, as much as I found this very strange and a little bit annoying at the time, I could sympathise with the situation as I can only assume that the bird flu scare had resulted in some sort of staff problem, combined with the fact that the hotel was probably full to capacity given that there was at least 3 seperate conferences on that particular day.

When I checked out, the GM was on hand and asked me about my stay so I felt compelled to tell him about the room service situation. He was very honest and apologetic about their staff issue and I have to say, I would not hold the hotel in contempt, as I felt that it was something that was perhaps somewhat beyond their control, although it would be good to get some sort of response from the hotel as to exactly what caused the staff shortage?

I am not a "fly in the soup" kind of person so this problem would not preclude me from staying at this hotel again as the overall experience was really very good and the way this situation was handle was quite professional...

Room Tip: I had room 1718 but this hotel is not on a major highway or particularly noisy so I think that prett...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Malcolm B, thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us,I am so glad to read that you enjoy our environment and value the room amenities,cafe in the lobby as well as food and beverage we provided,I would also like to apologize for the unsatisfied room service you experienced. We try our hardest to satisfy all of our guests’ requests, however on high occupancy days, we sometimes can not comply with all of our guests’ wishes.So sorry about that and I promosed that would not happened at your next stay.Thanks again for your detailed and valuable review,I have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan experience.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This certainly lived up to Crowne Plaza standards. By far the largest standard room we stayed in in China, impeccably clean, many English TV channels to choose from, large bathroom with separate tub and shower, beautiful and serene lobby and breakfast area, and wonderful breakfast buffet with a wide choice of Western style, Chinese and French breakfast items. The AC worked like a charm, and there was no smoking ( so no permeating smoke smell,) The staff was especially helpful and courteous. Great bargain for this upper level hotel.

Room Tip: We had a standard room, and it was great!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wdee2013
Dear Wdee2013,Thank you for an excellent review and for sharing your recent stay experience with us. From the location, service and amenities, we have ticked all the boxes that you have. We have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan experience again and again