Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan
Ranked #97 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at this Crowne Plaza as I was Chairing a conference that was being held in the hotel's ballroom, I spent three nights...

Really enjoyed my stay there the room (1718) was very large and spacious, King size bed, wonderfully soft pillows, very long desk which allowed me to spread my work out, and, cable TV when I didn't have my head buried in presentations and emails...

Had occasion to use the business center a couple times and found the lady there was very helpful indeed...

Cafe on the ground floor for breakfast and lunch was also very good.

Breakfast was comprehensive and had pretty much everything that I desired, although each time I asked chef for an over-easy egg, they tried to give me one that had already been cooked and I insisted on having a fresh one as I had no idea how long the egg had been sitting...

Lunch was also good, service is very friendly, prompt and courteous and as I visited during the bird flu scare, no chicken was available on the menu but that was no problem at all. In fact, try a club sandwich without chicken, it's a great vegetarian alternative !!!

Ballroom facilities were first class and the conference when off without a hitch, definitely one of the better corporate venues I have visited in China...

The only incident that I had happen, was on the last night...

After a long couple days I wanted to relax in my room, order a room service hamburger and watch a good movie on HBO. However, when I called downstairs they asked me if I would be interested in going to the the cafe and having the hamburger because there was nobody available to deliver any food to my room?

I have to admit, as much as I found this very strange and a little bit annoying at the time, I could sympathise with the situation as I can only assume that the bird flu scare had resulted in some sort of staff problem, combined with the fact that the hotel was probably full to capacity given that there was at least 3 seperate conferences on that particular day.

When I checked out, the GM was on hand and asked me about my stay so I felt compelled to tell him about the room service situation. He was very honest and apologetic about their staff issue and I have to say, I would not hold the hotel in contempt, as I felt that it was something that was perhaps somewhat beyond their control, although it would be good to get some sort of response from the hotel as to exactly what caused the staff shortage?

I am not a "fly in the soup" kind of person so this problem would not preclude me from staying at this hotel again as the overall experience was really very good and the way this situation was handle was quite professional...

Room Tip: I had room 1718 but this hotel is not on a major highway or particularly noisy so I think that prett...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Malcolm B, thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us,I am so glad to read that you enjoy our environment and value the room amenities,cafe in the lobby as well as food and beverage we provided,I would also like to apologize for the unsatisfied room service you experienced. We try our hardest to satisfy all of our guests’ requests, however on high occupancy days, we sometimes can not comply with all of our guests’ wishes.So sorry about that and I promosed that would not happened at your next stay.Thanks again for your detailed and valuable review,I have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan experience.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This certainly lived up to Crowne Plaza standards. By far the largest standard room we stayed in in China, impeccably clean, many English TV channels to choose from, large bathroom with separate tub and shower, beautiful and serene lobby and breakfast area, and wonderful breakfast buffet with a wide choice of Western style, Chinese and French breakfast items. The AC worked like a charm, and there was no smoking ( so no permeating smoke smell,) The staff was especially helpful and courteous. Great bargain for this upper level hotel.

Room Tip: We had a standard room, and it was great!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Wdee2013

Dear Wdee2013,Thank you for an excellent review and for sharing your recent stay experience with us. From the location, service and amenities, we have ticked all the boxes that you have. We have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan experience again and again

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I am a regular customer at this hotel, and hence I am a priority member. However, on my travel in March 2013 I noticed a definite drop in standards at the hotel. I really like this hotel, from previous experiences, but it seems they are slipping.
1. Check-in was a bit of a mess, slow and confused, lots of phonecalls, and in the end there was nothing on the system to show that I was a Priority Club member, I was told I was not!!!!!!!
2. Room service, the quality of the food is good, but again confusion with a phonecall on breakfast to re-confirm an order that was clearly written on the card.
3. Room amenities totally lacking ... no shaving kit (I forgot mine!) and no comb ... they were available with a phonecall and after much explaining (eventually in Chinese)
4. No fruit in the room, which there should be for Priority Club, no up-grade, again should be, if available.

Room Tip: This hotel is usually good and competitively priced. However, they need to up their standards again...
2  Thank bpgsmith

Dear bpgsmith,Firstly, thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and review of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, I am so sorry your stay with us did not earn a perfect 5-star rating. We try our hardest to satisfy all of our guests’ requests and preferences,especially for our loyalty guest,and about the PCR issue you mentioned,we had checked the system and failed to track your record,if you are available,could you send me your PCR informatioan and more detail(like check0in date,guest name) to me so I can check what happened at that time.I can promise you, however, that the next time you visit us, you will have a perfect, flawless stay, please contact reservations@crowneplazafudan.com or just call me (86)21 5552 9999 ext.3728 once you have confirmed dates for your next stay with us, we will ensure your preferences are noted in your guest profile.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

fantastic rooms, fantastic breakfast, I can't complain. Unless you work at Fudan University (which is just opposite) the place may look a bit far. It's not. The subway can take you in less than 20 minutes to Shanghai downtown. Only problem is to have to pay for WIFI for such a costly place !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear guest,Thank you for your review of the hotel following your recent stay at the hotel. I am delighted to read that you found the room that we had allocated you very comfortable. As for the internet issue you mentioned,we provide free WIFI in the lobby and the restaurant,hoped that information could help you enjoy more in your next stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Well, I got Shanghai'd in shanghai. I ended up here and albeit a bit from where I wanted it to be, Jack the concierge couldn't do enough for me. Lovely place. Will stay here next time I come. Excellent rooms spacious and spotless too.

• Stayed: March 2013
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay with us. We have shared your feedback with the team,we will enforce the service skill training to staff include the conciege you mentioned, look forward to welcoming you back again to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The flight was delayed and I arrived in midnight. The front office staffs was very kindly and offer the late check out for me at next day before I requested for it.

All charger for iPhone 4, iPhone 5 and iPod dock is available. from my previous terrible expeience had in Hong Kong. This is really impress me. A small things they can think of to get prepared for guest, bring a big convenience.

All staffs are very friendly.

Room Tip: They have rooms with iPod Dock and without, you may give them a note if you need it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Christophe Jean... L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Annie J,

Thank you for an excellent review and for sharing your experience of your stay with us. We have shared your feedback with the team and look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan experience again and again

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our third time to stay there when visiting Shanghai. Location wise, it is pretty much on the campus of Fudan University and very close to Wujiaochang commercial center, but a little bit far from the Bund. Somehow, the address of the hotel confused many taxi drivers, since it has the address of Handan Road but its entrance is actually facing Guoquan Road. The lobby is very bright and well seasonally decorated, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff is professional, and the selections of food in the restaurants are great with reasonable prices. It's one of the best 4+ star hotels in Yangpu District to stay for every occasion.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TripReviewer290
Christophe Jean... L, Manager at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear TripReviewer 290, thank you very much for staying at Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan and taking time to provide us the valuable comments, we are glad to see that you were satisfied with our hotel facilities and services, as the first international five star hotel in Yangpu District, Crowne Plaza Shanghai Fudan always take guest’s satisfaction as 1st priority. We are looking forward to welcome you back to experience the traveling for success with us in the near future!