“Night at the Museum” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #180 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Night at the Museum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I think the word Boutique hotel is sometimes interpreted in the wrong way. Some hotels have taken that as permission to come up with themed decor that for most people seems odd but wait, its "boutique". Well, as a business traveller, 3 things I look for in a place I have to stay in, service, location and amenities.

It is almost non-existent. There is someone to check you in, someone that delivers food to your room and someone that checks-you out. I had to kick the door of the hotel open to enter the lobby as I had both my hands full with my luggage. I also had to use my elbow to press the button to the elevator as I went up with my bags.There was only 1 concierge staff who actually greeted me in the 5 days I was there.

Location
The location is excellent. Its in a part of Shanghai where you can see nice old French architecture. There many restaurants to eat ant Fuxing Park is an invigorating place I could walk through to get to the office on Sinan road.

Amenities
The room was comfortably large with nice a spacious bathroom and a leather chaise placed near the window to lie down and read a book. Well reading would have been a nice thing to do but it was almost impossible with the bad lighting in the rooms, corridors and everywhere else I guess. When you're travelling for work, nights are when you're most productive with your emails, reading and preps for your next day. The darkened room made it very lethargic and hard to do any form of cognitive work. The lack of lighting also made the issue of cleanliness quite questionable as you think that every shadow on the ground is a stain. After a long day at work you always always look forward to a long warm shower. This was not a consistent occasion in my stay there as some nights the water was warm for the first 5 minutes than it was cold. Totally unacceptable.

I will probably end up staying here again in my next visit to Shanghai as its a 5-minute walk to the office. I hope things would have been improved if not I'll have to come better prepared with lower expectations.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you don't have to
2 Thank TrainerTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had two delightful nights here - most of it was excellent .

Location : super for business and enetertainment walking distance to Xintiandi and lovely to walk around the French concession - right next to a park.

Rooms: beautifully appointed & decorated - Very very spacious - in fact huge rooms - the bathrooms itself was the size of several HK/China rooms. Loved he funky digital 3D clock which throws the image on the ceiling. - very interesting to see a different fish tank outside every room.

Ate food twice - strangely both times the restauarnt was completely empty 9I wonder why) but the foods was pretty decent (had the Thai curry once which was delicious) , breakfast was ample .

The reception was helpful.

the only minor niggle was restaurant and bar close really early, reception feels empty like they are short staffed, even the restaurant seemed short staffed (maybe they manage with fewer people) but this was only my perception not that the service suffered in any way.

Would love to stay here again and definitely will.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

The rooms: Yes, the rooms are cute, and are decently sized but that is all. You hear your neighbors walk on either side of you and above you... The walls and so thin and vents so big that you can hear your neighbors snoring and... well you get the point, lol. Not cool after a long day of negotiating... My shower didn't work at all and it took 4x for them to fix it (one time they were there for over an hour) and then all I had was steaming hot water in my whole room, making me go to other rooms to shower.
The food: As far as meals, the food really had little taste. And the staff tries to con you into buying cheaper meals by asking for cash and pocketing the money for themselves, not too cool when you are meeting with customers over a meal and have to negotiate the supposedly price fix meal. I preferred to walk around the corner and get local soup dumplings for 7rmb, but you should do what you think is right.

As far as the staff, the housekeeping people are quick and do a good job leaving the room clean, but that is it. The hotel staff can hardly speak English (except the GM who works like 2 days a week for 3 hours each day), and they try any chance they can to do little odd jobs for cash all while overcharging people...

I stayed 9 nights, and at checkout there were questionable things on my bill, so BE CAREFUL... overall I WOULD NOT RETURN, AND YOU SHOULD SPEND YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE...

Room Tip: The staff seems to like bribes and cash...so bring ya money they are crooks here...lol
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jbolton212
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel has obviously well and truly passed its 'heyday'. The area is nice and rooms are large and pleasant enough though so lowly lit, it's hard to tell. However, it is the 'service' that I take exception to. With the exception of the lovely 'John' who works in the bar/restaurant the front office staff are indifferent and in many cases very rude. I was accosted at the front desk on arriving back from business meetings all day about a small spill on the sheet. It was easily washed out but she made such a big deal about discussing it in front of whoever was there I had to dismiss her and go to my room. That was the first day! Just one of the other issues, I tried to get some suggestions on where I could go to eat, I got a wave of the arm and bumble about some area I'd never heard of and when pressed, "it's a few blocks away" - again throwing the arm in the general direction. Small Luxury Hotel Group (SLH) needs to seriously reconsider this ones membership because it old, outdated and the 90% of the staff shouldn't even be in a service role. Appalling! The location next to Fuxing Park seems to be it's only redeeming feature. No idea about restaurants without having to get in a cab (I'm too tired) and search for one myself!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mrsgoo1234
TimPudiHotel, Front Office Manager at Pudi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you so much for you posting your comments , and really apologize for your unpleasant experience in our hotel. We have done a thorough investigation and training after we find your comments here and realize which our problem from. The main point is the lack of communication skills with customers and the ability to work flexibly. That's why all of the front office staffs has been retrained and some of them be warned according hotel policy. I'm sure such kind of this situatiuon will not happen again, and hope you will back to us for a completely new experience staying.

Yours Sincerely
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Unique Value proposition. We stayed for a full week and enjoyed the relaxed comfort of a residential style boutique hotel. Large spacious guest rooms with ample storage and bath rooms. The value was hard to beat and we grew to like the location, close to fuxing park, Xintiandi, shopping, and fairly central to many of our destinations. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. I would have liked their english skills to be a little better. The food for breakfast was bare minimum, but the chefs and service staff tried hard to please. Internet wifi, although we appreciated it was included in the room rate,it had on/off connectivity and was very slow. We would appreciate this being looked and improved for our next visit. The fitness equipment is old and barely functional stuffed into a corner of the breakfast level on 8. This area and equipment should be improved. Would like improved bath amenities, at least a bigger bar of soap and changed daily.

Room Tip: ask for a large room, they allocate upgrades when available at no extra charge.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here with work. Was the most luxurious place I've ever stayed in - mostly because of the Bathroom - which was about the same size as the bedroom part of the suite, and just wonderful :-)

Unfortunately because of the work hours I never did get to try the breakfast, or the other facilities. But I really did feel like I was in a Boutique hotel, very happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank adam_and_amy_drew
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013 whilst visiting Shanghai for a few days.

The location of the hotel is great. Nice and close to Fuxing Park and within comfortable walking distance of many of the other attractions in and around the French concession.

The room was excellent value for the facilities provided and the money we paid. We were 'upgraded' although this meant we had more floorspace rather than any extras.

Our only real disappointment was that the airconditioning is only set to warm! Apparently it would be a few more weeks before the cool function would be enabled! A bit disappointing when the outside temperature is 26 degrees!

Other than that we enjoyed our stay in this otherwise pleasant and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple