“Lovely boutique hotel”

Ranked #207 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Lovely boutique hotel”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had two delightful nights here - most of it was excellent .

Location : super for business and enetertainment walking distance to Xintiandi and lovely to walk around the French concession - right next to a park.

Rooms: beautifully appointed & decorated - Very very spacious - in fact huge rooms - the bathrooms itself was the size of several HK/China rooms. Loved he funky digital 3D clock which throws the image on the ceiling. - very interesting to see a different fish tank outside every room.

Ate food twice - strangely both times the restauarnt was completely empty 9I wonder why) but the foods was pretty decent (had the Thai curry once which was delicious) , breakfast was ample .

The reception was helpful.

the only minor niggle was restaurant and bar close really early, reception feels empty like they are short staffed, even the restaurant seemed short staffed (maybe they manage with fewer people) but this was only my perception not that the service suffered in any way.

Would love to stay here again and definitely will.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The rooms: Yes, the rooms are cute, and are decently sized but that is all. You hear your neighbors walk on either side of you and above you... The walls and so thin and vents so big that you can hear your neighbors snoring and... well you get the point, lol. Not cool after a long day of negotiating... My shower didn't work at all and it took 4x for them to fix it (one time they were there for over an hour) and then all I had was steaming hot water in my whole room, making me go to other rooms to shower.
The food: As far as meals, the food really had little taste. And the staff tries to con you into buying cheaper meals by asking for cash and pocketing the money for themselves, not too cool when you are meeting with customers over a meal and have to negotiate the supposedly price fix meal. I preferred to walk around the corner and get local soup dumplings for 7rmb, but you should do what you think is right.

As far as the staff, the housekeeping people are quick and do a good job leaving the room clean, but that is it. The hotel staff can hardly speak English (except the GM who works like 2 days a week for 3 hours each day), and they try any chance they can to do little odd jobs for cash all while overcharging people...

I stayed 9 nights, and at checkout there were questionable things on my bill, so BE CAREFUL... overall I WOULD NOT RETURN, AND YOU SHOULD SPEND YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE...

Room Tip: The staff seems to like bribes and cash...so bring ya money they are crooks here...lol
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jbolton212
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This hotel has obviously well and truly passed its 'heyday'. The area is nice and rooms are large and pleasant enough though so lowly lit, it's hard to tell. However, it is the 'service' that I take exception to. With the exception of the lovely 'John' who works in the bar/restaurant the front office staff are indifferent and in many cases very rude. I was accosted at the front desk on arriving back from business meetings all day about a small spill on the sheet. It was easily washed out but she made such a big deal about discussing it in front of whoever was there I had to dismiss her and go to my room. That was the first day! Just one of the other issues, I tried to get some suggestions on where I could go to eat, I got a wave of the arm and bumble about some area I'd never heard of and when pressed, "it's a few blocks away" - again throwing the arm in the general direction. Small Luxury Hotel Group (SLH) needs to seriously reconsider this ones membership because it old, outdated and the 90% of the staff shouldn't even be in a service role. Appalling! The location next to Fuxing Park seems to be it's only redeeming feature. No idea about restaurants without having to get in a cab (I'm too tired) and search for one myself!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mrsgoo1234
TimPudiHotel, Front Office Manager at Pudi Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you so much for you posting your comments , and really apologize for your unpleasant experience in our hotel. We have done a thorough investigation and training after we find your comments here and realize which our problem from. The main point is the lack of communication skills with customers and the ability to work flexibly. That's why all of the front office staffs has been retrained and some of them be warned according hotel policy. I'm sure such kind of this situatiuon will not happen again, and hope you will back to us for a completely new experience staying.

Yours Sincerely
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Unique Value proposition. We stayed for a full week and enjoyed the relaxed comfort of a residential style boutique hotel. Large spacious guest rooms with ample storage and bath rooms. The value was hard to beat and we grew to like the location, close to fuxing park, Xintiandi, shopping, and fairly central to many of our destinations. The staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. I would have liked their english skills to be a little better. The food for breakfast was bare minimum, but the chefs and service staff tried hard to please. Internet wifi, although we appreciated it was included in the room rate,it had on/off connectivity and was very slow. We would appreciate this being looked and improved for our next visit. The fitness equipment is old and barely functional stuffed into a corner of the breakfast level on 8. This area and equipment should be improved. Would like improved bath amenities, at least a bigger bar of soap and changed daily.

Room Tip: ask for a large room, they allocate upgrades when available at no extra charge.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here with work. Was the most luxurious place I've ever stayed in - mostly because of the Bathroom - which was about the same size as the bedroom part of the suite, and just wonderful :-)

Unfortunately because of the work hours I never did get to try the breakfast, or the other facilities. But I really did feel like I was in a Boutique hotel, very happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank adam_and_amy_drew
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013 whilst visiting Shanghai for a few days.

The location of the hotel is great. Nice and close to Fuxing Park and within comfortable walking distance of many of the other attractions in and around the French concession.

The room was excellent value for the facilities provided and the money we paid. We were 'upgraded' although this meant we had more floorspace rather than any extras.

Our only real disappointment was that the airconditioning is only set to warm! Apparently it would be a few more weeks before the cool function would be enabled! A bit disappointing when the outside temperature is 26 degrees!

Other than that we enjoyed our stay in this otherwise pleasant and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The French Concession is one of the best districts in the city and I think it beats Pudong or the Bund hands down in terms of atmosphere, convenience and walkability. The hotel is a very nice smallish place with a low key character. My room was very spacious and stylish with low lighting, dark lacquered furniture and coloured neon highlights throughout. Hard to describe but it worked. Breakfast in the top floor restaurant was excellent. The staff were pleasant and professional. When I got home I noticed a mistake with the billing and after I emailed them they resolved it straight away. I recommend this hotel because it has a unique style that you won't find in a large chain hotel, the rooms are large and very nicely appointed and the location is hard to beat. I stayed in August 2011 for two nights.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo