“Just Good Enough”
Review of Yan'an Hotel

Yan'an Hotel
Ranked #555 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have had a 2-night stay on 17 and 18 June 2013 at CNY590 per night with breakfast - the booking was done by my business contact in Shanghai.

Good points:
1. It is safe.
2. The room is quite big and comfortable (for a couple although am alone) and reasonably well cleaned.
3. The bed and pillow are comfortable.
4. The bathroom is big enough.

Bad points:
1. The breakfast is below par and lack of varieties, and all guests take their meal at the banquet room with big round table and share-seating (with people whom you do not know)..
2. It has a small lobby that looks quite plain.
3. The bathroom of the room (#321) that I have stayed has no door and it only has a glass partition between the WC and the long bath area - not suitable for non-couple travellers.
2. Not value for money at all at CNY590 per night.

May consider to stay in this hotel if the rate is better next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LML1963

Reviewed June 21, 2013

To start with, the location is pretty darn good. Everything else is poor to average. The room feels crowed and is old. The bathroom roof is very low, if you are taller then 6 foot, DO NOT stay here. The hotel is barely above motel 168 standard. I do not see how it can claim to be a four star hotel, It would barely make 3 star, in fact it probably wouldn't. I am very glad I'm only staying here one night. If I had planned to stay for me, I would have gotten my deposit back and found another hotel. It feels like a low budget hotel, and yet wasn't priced accordingly. Unless you are desperate to stay in the Jin'an area stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John K
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Hotel is has poor amenities. Our group met at the lobby bar for drinks 1st night before dinner and they did not even have enough cold beers (we were the only group in the bar!) There is no proper restaurant - breakfast is in a function hall with buffet table along the side. All dining tables are for 8 persons and they are bare except for placemats. Food is edible at best. Cook at egg station totally unfriendly; he only does fried eggs sunny side up; no omelette, nothing else. Any request is met by cold stare and gesture at fried eggs with the "Take it or leave it" message. Rooms do not have wi-fi (only available at lobby) and wired connection is horrendously slow in the evenings. My non-smoking room has cigarette burn marks on the carpet. And lift lobby on my non-smoking floor is heavy with stale cigarette stench! TV has only 2 English Channels: local China English news Channel and Channel News Asia (from Singapore). Hotel is supposedly 4-star but I would hesitate to give it 3 stars. Only saving grace is it's convenient location close 2 subway lines and in the French concession.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank janzzzlee
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Yan'an Hotel is not one of the finest hotels in Shanghai - but it is a good alternative for those on a budget. The public areas are lovely, and the hotel is clean - but the rooms are small, air conditioning can't keep up on hot days, and quality of service is variable. English is hit or miss. Breakfast buffet is excellent, and reasonable (was not included in our room). We stayed here for three nights and found it more than adequate for the price. I note that a previous reviewer said that he would not have been able to get internet access in the room - that may have been true when he wrote that, but as I write this (5/2013) I am happily connected via ethernet cable provided by the hotel. At probably half the price of a big international chain hotel, and with a good location, this is a reasonable alternative.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Yan'an hotel is on a very main street, so it was always convenient to get taxis even on those chilly winter days and nights. The reception desk is decently helpful, and some even speak a little English. They organised booking us taxis and calling the airports to find out which one we were meant to be going to, to fly out. The lobby is warm and clean.

The in-Hotel barber was decent, and at 80 kuai (cut and wash) it's quite reasonably priced. A shavette (disposable cutthroat) shave is a further 40 kuai, though it's not as close or good as it could be.

I had to change my room because, even though I requested non-smoking, my neighbours smoked like chimneys, and left their front door open so it could waft through the hallway. They also left their TV on very loud, and the walls are quite thin. Once changing rooms it was much better.

The rooms are very odd, having steps to get up, and a very low ceiling, with ample signage saying "Be careful of steps down and ceiling up" as you can hit your head easily. The same is true of entering the bathroom, step down and a very low door-frame. Other than that, the room was clean, bathroom was clean, and everything was wel-stocked, even down to a sewing kit, which was lucky, as I needed to use it.

I think it might be a Shanghai thing, but the large/long rectangular showers with the raised platform in the middle, so the water runs off to the sides? Fantastic. I wish I had one at home.

All in all, a decent stay. The room could have been designed better, but with what they've got, I would be willing to stay again.

Room Tip: Like all places in China, definitely ask for non-smoking if you're not a smoker. Don't be af...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for 7 nights. It was comfortable and room service was good enough. Restaurant has a room service too, if you want to have your food at your room. But it closes at 10 o'clock. The hotel is closer to Shanghai Exhibition center /old one/ and locates in central part of Shanghai.

Room Tip: From my room, outside view was not good. I can see only people's living place. But in front, it...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I am staying in Yan'an Hotel when writing this post, on a business trip and stay here for four nights. I did check before how the hotel was going to be and it seemed reasonable, even though some stories here were not so admirable.

The hotel is (how I've understood) old fancy hotel from the sixties, renovated on 2006. In some strange ways this is a funnyt hotel, you can imagine this being the place to go for high politicians in past decades, it does really remind me of Soviet Union by the look of the hall and hallways. Though being old, the renovation has made it quite bearable. The standard room is quite OK, with a small fridge, large bed and TV. My room happens to be on the street side and the noise really comes through the windows, so if you have an option ask one from the park side. Hotel seems to target mainly Chinese customers, since the breakfast is VERY chinese (I didn't want to have "chop-stick-food" at breakfast, so there was some eggs, coffee and watermelon for me - shouldn't be this picky but just didn't feel like eating Asian food all the time), and TV has only two English channels - MTV and Asian NewsChannel.

Pricing of the hotel is reasonable if you do it through the reservation engines in the internet. Despite of being quite not so western, the price and location is in good balance. Room is OK and it's only a 5 minutes walk to the Jing'an Temple and underground station. There are some late-night small convenience stores nearby and some bars/restaurants as well.

What was strange in this hotel was that cleaning staff might be coming to check/clean your room for more than once a day, so don't me intimitated (as I was) when I realized someone's been to my room early evening, opening the bed and so on. Big Con for this hotel is they're missing wifi, but similarly big Pro is they have quite well working cable connection that is quite fast as well considering being in China. Though if I wouln't have taken my 'very heavy' laptop with me on this trip I wouldn't have had the chance to get to the internet without going to the biz centre.

Drinks and all other stuff is very expensive in the hotel, so it's more than advisable to take a short walk towards the Hilton hotel and the street south from it to find stores if you shall need something. For a beer in hotel or nearby bars you have to pay starting from 25-30 RMB and other drinks double or more. This I find very expensive if you don't want to socialize with locals since same Tsing Tao costs 3-6 RMG in convenience store nearby.

Overall the hotel is not so bad if you don't have to spend your time here too much. Lacking of Wifi and English TV channels really creates a challenge for using your freetime at the hotel.

BTW: Just a note for some; hotel has non-smoking room obviously on the 7th floor, meaning all the other rooms are smoking rooms and you might smell that.

Room Tip: Ask a room from the garden (back) side, the traffic noise is really bothering you if you're stay...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business