“It's OK!!”

Asset Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #1,549 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 13 nights because of my brothers and sister-in-laws wedding party! i booked it because it was in a good area and too expensive and it seemed nice. during the first night it was hard for me to fall asleep because of the thin windows (typicall and everywhere in Shanghai)! after the second night i adjusted to it and the rest of my stay i slept very good! The room was comfortable, enough space to store your personal belongings and a huge bed. the tv has only chinese programms and one english channel but i was only there for sleeping so i didnt care! ^^ you have a refrigerator where you can put all the water bottles in that they bring you every day :D the bathroom has a big sink area and a big shower, really spacious and clean! the receptionists can speak english but not the best, except one that helped me a lot with his better english skills ;) the breakfast buffet was full of different food. 8-10 min away is the metro station but just take a taxi, they are so cheap!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Maximilian S

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights it easy to get to just a short walk from the subway and good value for money. We had breakfast thee they had toast so i was happy, there are plenty of places to eat around the hotel and a really big supermarket about 20 mins away if you stay longer, thee are Atm machines opposite the main entrance and its easy to get a cab outside into the centre.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Loved it!

From the pure point of value-for-money this hotel scores full marks!

Stayed for three nights early May, booked the basic (economy) room category.

Comfortable bed: yes. Bright, clean rooms: yes. Clean bathroom with all the essentials: yes. Complimentary water, a kettle and efficient air-conditioning: yes.

Great wi-fi: yes again!

Check-in was quick, staff were pleasant.

The location is ok - not so central to tourist attractions - but there is a metro station close by and taxis are cheap. (Wanping Road is one-way around the hotel. Depending where you're coming from, it can be quicker to ask the taxi to take to Ling Ling Road which crosses Wanping Road right by the hotel. It can save the taxi doing a bit of a circuitous route.)

In terms of other hotels in the same price category (and some even more expensive), this hotel is above and beyond.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank WGee
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I chose this average type hotel as my previous upper ended hotel had no wifi so I moved out after the first night in shanghai. The Asset doesn't have a gym or a pool, but heck, what I need is Wifi so I can skype my dear ones far away!
When I left my previous place I told them I was expecting a package sent to my attention which I needed for a trade show I was attending and guess what?... It got lost, but thanks to Asset's friendly staff I managed to retrieve it. They even sent me an email to update me on the recovery process :) So, the rooms are a bit iffy (paint, carpets,...) but quite clean and the quality/price ratio is well above average. A big thank you to the friendly staff if they happen to read this.
Xavi

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank xpijoan
Reviewed March 2, 2014

located near the olympic centre, this beautiful hotel is very cozy and welcoming. Room a very spacious and clean. When i got there I was warmly greeted by the lovely hotel stuff, very helpful as they organised my trips around Shanghai. Wifi is provided everywhere and breakfast is also included. The hotel is very close to the metro station, literally around the corner, and 5 min by taxi to go to the french connection. Definitely recommended!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GARIBALDy
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Always a warm and friendly greeting and help with your luggage.

Rooms are clean, and the hotel nice and quiet meaning a good nights sleep.

ALICE is back at reception, and is very professional in what she does and speaks very good English.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank AppleAdam
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I moved from the Duxiana hotel to the Asset hotel to be located a bit more central and the close proximity to the metro lines was a key factor in this decision.
When I arrived and checked in, the front desk offered me an upgrade to a suite for only 60RMB extra per night .. this seemed a fantastic deal at the time so I took it.

The room was very cold when I first arrived and took a few hours before it became a comfortable temperature. It is situated on the rooftop so one needs to take a small flight of stairs to reach the "4th" floor. Many other reviewers have complained about the small-sized guest rooms.. this was not the case for me as the suite was huge and definitely an overkill for one person. While the room was spacious, it didn't have a cozy feeling to it, and had no real windows (one window in the bedroom looked out into outer wall of the facade .. so no points for a good view.

It seems this hotel needs to improve their WiFi solution!! The Wifi does not reach the 4th floor .. at all. There was a wired (ethernet) connection available however I was travelling with a Macbook Air which lacks an ethernet port, and of course its useful to have WiFi for the mobile phone. I asked to move rooms to the third floor, but then decided the effort was too much and just used mobile internet.

The breakfast really was nothing special .. crowded with uncomfortable chairs and I had to look quite hard to find something I wanted. It was (in my eyes) so mediocre that I skipped it altogether the following days.

The staff were friendly and did their best to help out. The upgrade of the suite was a nice touch, but in hindsight I probably would have been better of with a standard room.
For the price I paid, the location and the friendly staff I would recommend this hotel, but be aware of the caveats.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor do not have wireless internet or it is flaky at best