Asset Hotel Shanghai
$145
  • Breakfast included
$157
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$146
$136
$101
$86
  • Restaurant
All reviewsling lingsouth roadcorn flakesthree starmini fridgerooms are clean and comfortableminutes walkingshopping districtwestern stylemetrointernetenglishtaxichinacongeexujiahuisnoring
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was the first hotel we stayed in after just arriving in China. We had a small bit of trouble finding it. We had rucksacks with us and took a wrong turn a couple of times but I think that probably had more to do with not being used to getting around Shanghai than the hotel location. A westerner ended up helping us and we were standing across the intersection from the hotel!
We enjoyed our stay even though we didn't spend a huge amount of time at the hotel. Our room was on the 3rd floor. No noise complaints, we really enjoyed the breakfast(Juice, Steamed buns, scrambled egg, tea & toast). The location is fine as there are 2 metro stops nearby. Not many westerners though! If that matters to you. It didn't bother us. You are in China after all!
The hotel didn't seem busy when we were there midweek in March 2013 but I would recommend as it's cheap and we had no problems.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David C
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I shouldn't really be complaining about this place, especially given the price I paid. I was staying in a room on the first floor, right across from the reception. As I checked in, I thought I'd be bothered by other guests coming in and out. It turned out, the vast majority of guests were rather quiet. But the staff working late night shifts was talking on the phone and with each other -- all the time! They weren't whispering either. Whatever they discussed on the nightly basis, they were really passionate about it. Of course I have no idea what they were talking about. Male front desk staff must have been talking about Chinese soccer. Females must have had a heated debate about a Chinese equivalent of Justing Bieber. Whatever the topics were, the shouting went on and on and on. I could still hear their muffled voices even through my ear plugs. I am not a light sleeper, so this was not a HUGE issue for me, but it sure was for other guests.

On a more positive side, I did like their breakfast. All Western guests I saw in their breakfast area were playing it safe by sticking with fried and hard-boiled eggs, coffee, and toast. For the locals and more adventurous individuals like myself, there was congee with all sorts of pickles, egg-drop soup, steamed dumplings of several kinds, and various steamed/boiled greens. Although I could tell that all the food came from Walmart or a similar place (yes, they do have Walmarts in China), it was not bad at all and definitely added a nice local touch to this otherwise very mediocre hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I had a great stay over at Shanghai Asset hotel last week. The services at the front desk has greeted me with great warm hospitality! My friend has introduced me to Asset hotel when I was travelling in Shanghai last trip and I have took the opportunity to check into this hotel this time.
It was a warm a cozy hotel located in the central of Shanghai. The room is cozy, clean and the renovation was warm. They do have wifi and all the basics you need like hair dryer, toothbrushes etc.. I personally liked it a lot as it was very convenient to travel around and the price was good compared to all the great hotels in Shanghai.
I will definitely come back again the next time I travel back to Shanghai! I would like to thank the front desk manager Reynold again for his great hospitality!

Room Tip: Superior Room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Julien C
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After reading reviews here, the thing that struck me the most as being untrue was how hard it was to find. It's extremely easy to find from the subway with even the most rudimentery maps or instructions.

Has a nice quiet location tucked away from the main road but with plenty of shops and amenities in the vicinity, about a 15 minute walk to the nearest subway.

The hotel is basic but clean and orderly. Breakfast is a simple affair but more than satisfactory.

The rooms are cosy and comfortable with clean bathrooms and at around 280rmb a night are a complete bargain - I have paid a lot more for a lot worse in the past.

Not somewhere you will stay for a luxurious, leisurely break but if you just need a place to crash this place is a fantastic option.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TheBeijingDeva
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I usually stay at nearby Fudi Hotel, but needed an advance reservation document faxed to the US for a business visa. Fudi couldn't provide, but nearby Asset did. The hotel is relatively small, but I found it to be in good condition with all the basic amenities in good working order for a low price. Free breakfast is average. I like the Wanping Nan Rd. location because it is easy to hail a taxi, there are plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. around, and it is close to the Xujiahui shopping district, which has many, many more.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business