“Generally good, but now needs some attention.”

Asset Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #1,553 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Smell of smoking in rooms is not good, and I asked for a mon-smoking room; room 310 is bad.

Peeling paint in the rooms, and heating is poor. I had to sleep in additional clothing to keep warm.

Wifi is not-so-good; difficult to connect and only one connection. Tip- go into unoccupied room next door and use their login details.

Hotel will need some attention before the summer....

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank AppleAdam

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I found the Asset Hotel to be extremely disappointing, especially having high expectations due to its comments and overall rating on tripadvisor. It’s location is a hassle; not only is it located far from a subway station, it’s difficult to find being hidden away among buildings, and also nowhere near any touristic attractions. The staff has a very low level of English; we asked Gary and Sherry a couple of things and were only able to understand quite a few of what they attempted to come across with. As you check-in, they’re not proactive in offering you subway or city maps, and when asking they look baffled by your request. When asking Jessie (woman with the black-framed Maxim’s eyeglasses) for a particular place, she told us where it was in Chinese but didn’t even take out a map or write the directions for us to give to the cab driver. We then had to remind her that we weren’t locals and needed some further help. The Wi-Fi in my room wasn’t working, and my brother and I spent some decent amount of time trying to gain access to it. When calling Gary a few hours later, he explained that only one device at a time could use it, and that if another one was to enter the password, they had to wait 30 minutes for the first person to stop using it. When going downstairs to use the hotel’s PC, both of them dated back from the ice age and so did their Internet quality/speed. The rooms are very small and the majority of the paint on the walls is peeled off. Even though our room was non-smoking, there is a vent inside the bathroom where the smokers’ rooms’ cigarette smell manages to sneak in. The remote controls are in Mandarin, and there are no English instructions that facilitate the ordeal. The breakfast spread is poor: sliced bread, cornflakes, jam, and tangerines; it’s more of a hostel breakfast than one of a hotel’s.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
AssetHotel, Director of Operations at Asset Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Greetings from Shanghai!

We are disappointed to learn about your unpleasant experience at our hotel.

We take our guests’ comments seriously. All defects pointed out by our guests are reviewed personally by myself and my staffs. Our goal is to make sure these complaints are corrected. We simply do not want to lose any valued guests.

We have followed up in past few days and reviewed the issues you pointed out. We will make sure that all guests receive a city map and metro map upon check-in. Furthermore, we will prepare two WLAN systems to correct the problem of internet browsing speed.

The management at Asset Hotel would like to extend our sincere appreciation for your comments.

I would like to thank you again for staying with us and giving us constructive comments. If you plan to travel to Shanghai again, please be sure to visit us. We would like to hear from you about our improvements and what else we can do to outdo ourselves.

Once again, thank you very much.

Sincerely
Karen Chen
Director of Operations

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I'm happy that we decided to stay here again.

Bedroom: This time we stayed in a much smaller room. Size of the room was just enough for 2 people. Room and bathroom were kept clean everyday.

Staff: They were always very helpful. I made my reservations thru email and their manager, Reynold Shi was alwasy prompt in replying to my emails. He also assisted me in getting my bullet train tickets to and from Beijing, with a minimal fee. They were always ready to hail a cab for their guests.

Location: Very close to Dong'an Rd. Station (approx 7min walk) and Shanghai Stadium (approx 12min walk). Carrefour supermarket is about 10-15mins away.You'll find restaurants, convenience stores, a bank and a coffee shop very close to the hotel.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rja34
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Everything is fine with this hotel. The only weakpoint are the waterpipes: when someone used the bathroom, especially in the rooms above mine, it looked like to be by a waterfall!
Also breakfast could be better.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Of all the cities we visited in China, we loved Shanghai. But big and busy is an understatement. It was always a relief to return to our oasis at the Asset Hotel. The staff is wonderful, and we really appreciated the feeling we got of being part of the neighborhood after only 4 days - it that is possible in a city of how many million. Our room was beautiful - and can you believe the price.
As for the closest subway - we always used Shanghai stadium and really enjoyed the walk. So mush happening and so many friendly faces.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gordon C
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I chose to stay here after being in rural China for a month, and wanted someplace that was quiet, comfortable and what I was used to. Out of the countless of options to stay in Shanghai, ranging from youth hostels, to large corporate hotels, I felt that this place has it all. Its a quiet, 3 floor boutique hotel, and it was bright and carpeted. They even had complimentary breakfast that was a mix of Western and Chinese tastes. It was quiet, as it was a few streets away from the busy areas, and it was also a bit tucked away in residential neighbourhoods.

In fact, that is why this place doesn't get 5 stars in my review - it was very hard to find. The website had instructions, as well as a printout of chinese writing you could hand to your taxi driver, but I spoke Mandarin, and the taxi driver and I had to really work to find this place. Finally, I called the hotel and asked them to talk to the driver directly.

That being said, I don't know how it can improve on this, unless it started expanding and tearing down places beside them. They do have print-out instructions on their websites, perhaps just give yourself some extra time to find the place.

ooh - I read from an early review to ask for a non-smoking room on the 3rd floor - definitely makes for better sleep - as it seems that people on the first floor were not as satisfied..

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Good location. Well maintained rooms. Both I and my wife had a comfortable stay. Would have a liked a better breakfast spread. Tourist place cards with addresses in Chinese would have been very useful.

• Stayed: October 2012