“Any local chinese brand will welcome you better”

Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park
Ranked #74 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Ningbo, China
“Any local chinese brand will welcome you better”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Arrived at midnight with my family, asked for rate and if late check-in discount possible just get a
"no" ., if hotels are charging you a 50% for late check out why dont do the same for late check in, just get exceptionnaly offered bkfst for 1 guest.
my son was sleepy in the car, asked to get my keyroom to bring him to the room, and ready to give my passport and credit car with reception, again no as they took all time to make copies of our passports, had to remove and handle my luggage from my car to my room, has apparently the bell boy was to busy chatting with a lady while she was awaiting for taxi.
Room is ok, (double beds the smallest size i have seen in China until today).bkfst good.
But all staff is not very warm welcome and some of them doesnt speak english.
Will absolutelly not return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had a comfortable stay here on a business trip. They really push their executive floor rooms with lounge access. It's a little pricy, but nice to have access to. The hotel tries hard to be stylish. It's almost too stark at times, but overall it's nice and not boring. Breakfast buffet is very nice. Located next door is a nice open air mall with lots of food and snack choices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Taiping, Malaysia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

to the management, I now know why this place was so empty.....

we had a few beers and pizzas. A friend had red wine and we then wanted a few glasses of water.

To our surprise the staff said it's company policy that they don't serve water - you have to buy it. what a rip off! The service is good, the band is decent, a lot of TV/sports to watch.

Given that there are much better choices round the corner e.g. Blue Marlin, Irish Pub and they don't charge additional 15% service charge, i would re think your policy as the hotel is attached to a huge mall with heaps of other choices.

if you still persist to come here, i recommend the pizza :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MacGyver-SG1
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Chose this hotel based on good reviews, but my experience did not match my expectations. Decor is trying to be stylish, but doesn't quite make it -- for instance black painted walls and dim lights in hall don't make it cool, it just makes it hard to find the elevator. Bar off lobby just looked sleazy, with bring colored lighting and throbbing music. Bilious colored carpet with stains, chipped and scratched furnishing, cracked tiles in small bathroom, and just overall slightly grimy feel in the room. Although I had booked ahead and was supposed to get an upgraded room, wound up with a cramped space with twin beds. Overall disappointing, more so in comparison with the other great hotels I stayed in on this trip. Best feature of hotel was the breakfast buffet, but not sure it's worth the price charged.

Room Tip: Get as high as you can to avoid noise from bar.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheRealPhilGold
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Hotel staff can speak english well and they are very helpful! The hotel will ask us to choose the room style we like with an offer of 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Breakfast is perfect, variety and tasty. Free wifi is in room only.

Location is not bad, next to many clubs, restaurants and shopping mall. However to go to inner city, it is quite far and with bad traffic.

• Stayed June 2013
France
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed several times in this hotel and always enjoyed it.
Rooms are large and confortable, location is quiet nearby many good restaurants. The breakfast is very varied with Asian as much as Western food. An excellent place to stay for business trips. Maybe a bit far from Shanghai city Centre.

• Stayed June 2013
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. The main reason I stayed here was because our last visit was so wonderful. The hotel is located perfectly for shopping (which was the main reason for my trip). I can't decide if the nice, spacious rooms, the excellent staff or the breakfast buffet are the best feature of this hotel, so I will name all three as the best! The rooms are very nice, spacious, and very clean. I like that there is a tower for all my electronics so I can plug them all in at the same time, in the same location. The staff is absolutely phenomenal! From the bellhops to the ladies at the front desk to the staff at the restaurant - all wonderfully welcoming and happy to assist. I watched as the poor girls at the front desk dealt very kindly and patiently with a nasty, rude customer who was way out of line in the way he spoke to them. They kept their composure, kept smiles on their faces and remained calm and helpful. My compliments.

It stood at that several times during my visit, I watched the managers talk with the employees and point out things. They have a hands on approach and are visible and engaged, not just in an office.

I spend three days running all over Shanghai and at the end of my last day my feet were swollen and sore. I had been given a 1 PM check out and left my luggage at the front desk in order to get in some last minute shopping as my flight did not leave until 21:30 that night. When I returned, the manager assisted me with my suitcases and gave me a quiet area where I was able to repack my luggage. I was supposed to stay at this hotel on my way back from the US, nine days later and they offered to hold one of my suitcases and a carry-on while I was gone. In the end I made a mistake with my return ticket and (regrettably) stayed at a hotel near the airport in order to get more sleep.

Not only did the staff assist me with my suitcases, the manager also made an appointment with the Spa for me to spend my last hour in Shanghai getting a foot massage at a discount. Then, as I left, I was given a pair of slippers to wear on the flight to the US. Top notch customer service!

I should also mention that there is a bank with ATM and an automatic changer right around the corner. There is an awesome, authentic Greek restaurant and a great, equally authentic Italian restaurant within a two minute walk from the hotel, together with a Paris Baquette bakery, Starbucks, and a Carre-Four grocery store (amongst other restaurants, shops and stores). Everything you need for a great day is right there.

I will return to this hotel every time I get lucky enough to return to Shanghai and can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Obviously the higher the room, the better the view. Honestly, I stayed in one of the top floors last...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo