“Bad service and possible theft!”

Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park
Ranked #74 of 5,082 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne, Australia
“Bad service and possible theft!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was really looking forward to my stay at this hotel, but sadly I had to cancel my trip. I contacted the hotel to request a refund and was informed that the late request meant I would be charged for the first night. That's fair enough, but my request to have the second night refunded has gone unanswered now for several days.

I do not expect to be ignored by a hotel with the kind of reputation of a high end Radisson. I booked to stay here precisely because of their standards of excellence, but in ignoring my repeated requests to confirm the second night was refunded I am sad to say I think this hotel has let itself down, and it has certainly let me down.

We also wrote to them ahead of my planned arrival just to conform a couple of things, and these emails were also ignored. Maybe there is a language issue here, but to simply ignore someone is entirely unacceptable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been staying here for 3 years, they always remember me, the staff is great! lots of resturants and shopping nearby. You cannot ask for a better hotel for a westerner in Shanghai. The staff all speak english and do thier best to take care of your every need. There is no other hotel in Shnaghai i wouls stay at.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aalen, Germany
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I liked the hotel in general. There was a distinct smell in the rooms, probably from the carpet, but it didn't bother me that much. Rooms were spacious and in general well kept, with a little dents here and there, but overall ok. The location is good.

On the last day of my visit, I went to the breakfast table with starbucks coffee (since the quality of the coffee was not that great - mind you, I don't think that starbucks is fantastic coffee). The cook came by and told me that he would not accept that I would have my beverage there and that he had to take it away. I decided to leave because my coffee obviously is a bit more important to me in the morning. Then I talked to the hotel and demanded that they at least don't charge me for breakfast, if they dont let me stay in the breakfast room. They told me it is a package and that they can't deduct the breakfast. Then I said that they should refund me with whatever amount they deemed appropriate. They didnt want to do that either. Even though I told them that I plan to return in June.

This is not how I want to be treated. Will definitely not return to this hotel and will also order my department not to book there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
radissonblupudong, General Manager at Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Mr. K.,

We all need our coffee in the morning, and I understand the frustration you must have felt when our Chef asked you not to consume your Starbucks coffee in our restaurant. I do empathize with your situation, nonetheless this policy conforms to international hospitality standards and you would encounter the same issue in any other hotel or restaurant of international renown. We might not have been as rigorous in enforcing this policy before, but the present circumstances call for extra caution.

As we informed you at that time, the bird flu in China forces us to enhance all safety precautions for as long as it remains a threat. You might think that Starbucks Coffee is relatively safe, however in times of H7N9 causing a number of victims in Shanghai every week, it is impossible for us to draw a line between what might potentially constitute a health hazard(e.g. contamination), and what does not.

I would like to assure you that we always go the extra mile to satisfy our customers, but when it comes to health hazards, we have to remain firm and intransigent. I am sure it was never your intention to put your and other guests’ health at risk, however sometimes we need to take unpopular decisions when safety is concerned.

Mr. K., you highlighted the reason of your complaint was that we did not compensate you for the missed breakfast. I would like to let you know that we could not deduct the breakfast, as you booked the hotel through an Online Travel Agency, and we cannot unilaterally modify third party payments.

I hope that you can understand our motives a bit better now,

Warm regards,

Gerhard Fasching
Radisson Blu Hotel Pudong
Beijing, China
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Among all the hotels I've ever stayed in Shanghai, I love this one most. Actually I've stayed here many times. The hotel was suited in an upscale civil community in Shanghai, with convenient super-stores, shopping area, and restaurents just next door. The breakfast is normal, same old same old as the other 4~5 five stars. My room package included the minibar, which brouhgt another sparkle. There is a small bar in the ground floor. Very few people, but pretty good to catch a drink with friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Very clean and modern rooms. breakfast buffet is exceptional (both western and Chinese food). Convenient location (supermarket, many restaurants close by). Reception speaks good English and quite helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dublin
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Radisson is an international brand with uniformly high standards. This hotel could be planted down anywhere in the world. What you see is what you get. A high level of comfort, cleanliness and good food. Our room was fine with a view of the throneroom through a glass wall. There is a blind!! The wifi is great as we were suffering from google and facebook withdrawel after a week in Bejing and Xi'an. The pool for some reason is outside and as it was raining most of the time we were there we did'nt use it. I don't know if it was heated. This has to be a demerit and reduces this perfectly good hotel by a star.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
County Meath, Ireland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We travelled as part of a group of 40 people on an all in package to China with The Travel Department Ltd. and we were very happy with this hotel for two nights in Shanghai. The double ensuite room that was booked for us was large, clean and comfortable. Something that we'd never encountered before on our travels was the fact that one of the walls between the ensuite bathroom and the bedroom is actually glass - a large window?? (see attached picture). There is a screen that can be lowered if required? The mind boggles!! We also found this to be the case in two other hotels we stayed in on this trip to China. Breakfast in the Radisson Blu was excellent with a wide self service choice available, as well as fresh breads and freshly cooked omelettes while you wait. We had dinner in the hotel on one night and had no complaints. The bar was nice and lively with a coctails promo on the night we visited. A big plus for this hotel is the fact that it has a broadband WiFi service (very unusual in China - hence a 5 star rating in this review) which allowed us to access the internet and ring family at home. Time limitations and cool evening and early morning weather meant we didn't use the outdoor pool area but it looked ok. There is a large supermarket very close by, around the corner, which we visited for necessary toiletries and there is an excellent Irish Bar behind the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family