“Great hotel, great area”

Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park
Ranked #84 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 29, 2012

High standard, high service level and a great area. I've stayed at this hotel several times per year for 4 years, and level of the hotel is rising every time. The area is convenient with a wide range of restaurants and shopping. Close to Century park for recreation and Pudong exchibition is in walking distance.

Room Tip: As high up as possible to enjoy the view!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We are family with children aged 5 years and baby 6 months old. Overall we really enjoyed the whole one week stay. There are plus and minus during our stay. We checked in early in the morning but was told that our room was not ready yet. However a week earlier I have got confirmation from the hotel by email that our plan for early check in in the morning will be no issue and without additional charge. After showing the email finally reception staff understood and we got the room. The room with modern and chic design, 2 double beds, separate standing shower and bathtub, a single sofa and table and a working station. Interior all painted in white, very soothing and relaxing. A transparent glass wall divides the bathroom and bedroom with electrically operated curtain for privacy purposes. Quite complete amenities in both bedroom and bathroom.
This hotel is perfect for its location. It is just around the corner of big thumb square where almost everything you need is there. Laya plaza shopping mall, carrefour, western/chinese restaurants, mcdonalds, 24hr KFC, burger king, pizza hut, coffee shops starbucks, coffee bean tea leaf, costa coffee, late nite cafe/pubs, bakeries, banks/ATM's, 24hr confectinary shops. Century park being the biggest public park in Pudong is 5-10 mins walk. Maglev station (hi speed train from/to Pudong airport) and the adjacent Long Yang rd subway stn is only 5-10 mins by taxi. Shanghai science & tech museum subway stn and its famous english speaking fake goods market/mall is only 5-10 mins by taxi. Check out was not smooth as there was a discrepancy between my reservation bill and hotel bill (i made a hotel booking via booking.com), but finally resolved.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the carrefour/mall area for the beautiful lightings view from the square during...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is my second stay here. I had some issues with my first stay but I decided to give it another go after the general manager wrote to me personally when i filled in a negative review. My second stay was far better and I can totally recommend this hotel

Location is excellent. Right next to 2 shopping malls with 20-30 restaurants nearby. Perfect if you need to purchase some things because on both occasions I stayed here I lost my luggage and needed urgent clothes so I could attend meetings.

The rooms are very well appointed with modern fittings, comfortable beds and good amenities. Free water daily is appreciated. On second stay I stayed in a deluxe room which is a little bigger and very comfortable - I would recommend spending the extra nod getting this size room.

The concierge on my most recent stay was really helpful and deserves a special mention. He helped me print business cards which were lost with my luggage and helped to call the airline when I was getting nowhere. Really excellent service.

I'm pleased a tried again and I will be back. The only draw back is the noise from the bars and restaurants below. On both stays I did here the noise until quite late but I was in low floors. Perhaps in higher levels it is not as bad

I recommend this hotel. For the price it is unbeatable.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Was stay here for 4 business night and noted that this hotel is good. Food is Okay. Access is easy and can found stores around. Hotel staff can speak english and it is very helful.
Some notes : sometimes bath amenities are not in, must be reminder to the house keeper.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GERFA, General Manager at Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Pulu n,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Radisson Blu Hotel Pudong Century Park Shanghai.

I truly appreciate your open and honest feedback about your experience at our hotel. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that our service personnel went above and beyond to make your stay more comfortable.

After careful consideration of the issue you mentioned regarding the replenishment of bathroom amenities, our Housekeeping Director has been advised to intensify training efforts. When next you return, I can assure you that your bathroom will always have daily replenished amenities, and I am sure you will rediscover our hotel in the light of a great experience.

I will personally make sure that when next you come, your stay will be nothing less than a lasting good memory.

Warm regards,

G. Fasching
Radisson Blu hotel Pudong

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having stayed here before and being a frequent visitor to Shanghai , the Radisson is now familiar to me , but this review is aimed more at the first time visitor to this great city , who may have concerns about the cultural differences between European cities and Chinese cities.. This hotel is right in the middle of the Thumb Plaza complex..a westernised , pedestrianised enclave of outsid mall shopping and restaurants ..very good for easing your way into the time difference and distinct culture difference that China offers . .. The hotel has a small bar inside the hotel, a larger " sports bar " in the forecourt of the hotel , and nice clean rooms , lots of space, clean bathrooms, good power shower and ask for a rear facing , high level room and you'll hear nothing at night. Prices are reasonable , there is a great Italian restaurant round the corner in the plaza, a nice Thai restaurant, a good Chinese a good Japanese place an an Irish pub.. For the money and location it's unbeatable here..and absolutely perfect for the first time or more nervous traveller.. Of course jump in a cab and go see the bund ..it's £3 away , go see Xing Tien Di with all it's nightlife , that's £5 in a cab and 25 min away.. The maglev station is £3 ina cab which takes you straight to Pudong Airport ..it's got everything..well recommended .

Room Tip: High level rear facing
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GERFA, General Manager at Grand Mercure Shanghai Century Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear Tony F.,

Thank you for your most recent stay with us and posting your review on to TripAdvisor dot com.
By the sounds of your review, you were very impressed with your stay. This is exactly the feeling that we desire for you to leave with. If you were impressed this year, I really hope that you make it part of your plans to visit us next year. Until the end of this year, we will have refurbished all units putting in new carpets, brand new Sony TV's, new LED lightning for a smaller carbon footprint etc. I hope that you are able to make it and see why we are so excited about our future.

Thank you again, and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at info.pudong@radisson.com

Warm regards,

Gerhard Fasching

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for a short business trip, it was easy to get to from Pudong International Airport and easy to get to central Shanghai. The hotel and rooms are all modern with excellent services and facilities. Breakfast is great with a great variety, gym a good size with quality Technogym equipment, staff very friendly and efficient, highly recommended!!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My first visit to Shanghai I was a little apprehensive re the quality of the Radisson Blu Pudong. I had no need to worry. From the moment I arrived the service was excellent. From the front door to the room and all other facilities nothing was wanting.The room was clean and inviting and the view from the thirteeth floor was good. Only being there for a short while I found the locality exactly what I needed with the small shopping centre at the back door and quite a few restaurants very close. I look forward to using my Carton Club card at Radissons Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms up high have great views.